CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Detail Shop (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/)
-   -   Cleaned tail pipes today (the easy way) (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/65133-cleaned-tail-pipes-today-easy-way.html)

Thirteendog 12-21-2013 08:48 PM

Cleaned tail pipes today (the easy way)

4 Attachment(s)
I used a friends technique to clean tail pipes today and thought I'd share it with y'all. The secret it Easy Off oven cleaner. I used a couple black plastic bags to tape off the area. You definitely do not want to get this stuff on your paint. After I had the area taped off I applied a heavy coat of easy off. The crap on my tail pipes just dripped off immediately. Even though I washed them before putting it in the garage. Once the coat was added I did some of the other things I had intended to do in the garage today and came back 2 hours later. I have a box of old socks that I use for throw away cloths and cleaned the area up. Once done I went inside, made a cup of tea, and went back out to marvel at how easy it was and how I wish I had done it a long time ago. Anyway here are my pictures. Pic 1 is before, pic 2 is black bag tape up job, pic 3 is immediately after spraying tips, pic 4 is completed project. Remember pic one is what it looked like after I washed with car wash soap and water.

Ottawa John 12-21-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Cleaned tail pipes today (the easy way)

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

grip grip 12-21-2013 11:06 PM

Wow, thanks for the info! Mine are black as coal and in dire need of some cleaning.

Thirteendog 12-21-2013 11:21 PM

At one time I use to sit at the back of the crossfire with eagle metal polish and rub and rub and rub and rub the tail pipes to get theme spotless. Wish I knew about this a long time ago.

Valk 12-21-2013 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good work Nick
Merry Christmas
I found this for you to put on the wall ..lol :p

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...irteeendog.jpg

Thirteendog 12-22-2013 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by VALK (Post 772756)
Good work Nick
Merry Christmas
I found this for you to put on the wall ..lol :p

Thanks Gary!

BoilerUpXFire 12-23-2013 02:36 PM

Good idea, Nick, I have never heard that one.

Another thing to use, especially on the inside is 'barkeepers friend'. It is a stainless polish and if you wet a paper towel and wipe it over the pipes it will make them look brand new...

Thirteendog 12-23-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire (Post 772968)

Another thing to use, especially on the inside is 'barkeepers friend'. It is a stainless polish and if you wet a paper towel and wipe it over the pipes it will make them look brand new...

Is that the stuff you use to clean out stainless steal coffee pots?

ewaynec 12-25-2013 12:20 PM

I used, (after several failed attempts) glass stove top cleaner. The pipes were brown from the heat, and now they shine.

onehundred80 12-25-2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire (Post 772968)

Barkeepers 'friend' is a baseball bat where I come from.

Thirteendog 12-25-2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 773187)
Barkeepers 'friend' is a baseball bat where I come from.

I thought Canadians couldn't defend themselves.

Mrmiata 12-25-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog (Post 773197)
I thought Canadians couldn't defend themselves.

They can't .. he hands it to the waitress / American biker chic hiding out from the law..:p

FP 12-25-2013 06:23 PM

Nice job. I'm gonna have to try that.

BoilerUpXFire 12-26-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog (Post 772985)
Is that the stuff you use to clean out stainless steal coffee pots?

I guess you could use it for that as well. Most bartenders I know use it to clean the SS bar/kitchen equipment.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...dad94f_400.jpg

Mr Kilmouski 12-26-2013 12:12 PM

Anyone know of a UK equivalent to Easy Off oven cleaner? That works?

cg80 12-26-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog (Post 772726)
I used a friends technique to clean tail pipes today and thought I'd share it with y'all. The secret it Easy Off oven cleaner. I used a couple black plastic bags to tape off the area. You definitely do not want to get this stuff on your paint. After I had the area taped off I applied a heavy coat of easy off. The crap on my tail pipes just dripped off immediately. Even though I washed them before putting it in the garage. Once the coat was added I did some of the other things I had intended to do in the garage today and came back 2 hours later. I have a box of old socks that I use for throw away cloths and cleaned the area up. Once done I went inside, made a cup of tea, and went back out to marvel at how easy it was and how I wish I had done it a long time ago. Anyway here are my pictures. Pic 1 is before, pic 2 is black bag tape up job, pic 3 is immediately after spraying tips, pic 4 is completed project. Remember pic one is what it looked like after I washed with car wash soap and water.

Thirteenpuppy: Tried your recommendation using the Easy Off cleaner...works like magic...thanks for the info...Carl

Keep on Crossfireing!!!;)

Da55id 12-26-2013 04:56 PM

OK! I'm going shopping :-)

Thirteendog 12-26-2013 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Kilmouski (Post 773291)
Anyone know of a UK equivalent to Easy Off oven cleaner? That works?

Ever heard of Mr muscle oven cleaner? Apparently it's the same thing. You guys have some silly names for your products :)

Originally Posted by carl graham (Post 773306)
Thirteenpuppy: Tried your recommendation using the Easy Off cleaner...works like magic...thanks for the info...Carl

Keep on Crossfireing!!!;)

Carl I'm glad it worked for you too.

JEFASOLD 12-28-2013 10:31 PM

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks for sharing.

theglot 04-23-2014 10:35 AM

Just bought a 2004 Coupe and the tailpipipes had never been cleaned. Did like I always do and used my Mother's mini powerball on a drill and some metal pollish. Took an hour and ended up pulling muscles in my back (still sore 2 weeks later). I had carbon all over my garage. Wish I knew about the oven cleaner earlier, might have saved my back.

Now that they are shining, a few minutes with the power ball weekly will keep them that way.

Pulled the front wheels and they were filthy inside. A few minutes with wheel cleaner and a brush and they too are shining.