Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight Restoration

Old 05-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headlight Restoration

Does anyone have a recommendation for Headlight Restoration?
I mean a product or kit that has worked well to fix the surface flaking that seems to be normal on Crossfires?
My car has flaky, etched looking areas on both headlights. There is no "yellowing". It seems to be an environmental plastic corrosion issue.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Re: Headlight Restoration

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
I mean a product or kit that has worked well to fix the surface flaking that seems to be normal on Crossfires?
My car has flaky, etched looking areas on both headlights. There is no "yellowing". It seems to be an environmental plastic corrosion issue.
Nick
I've used Meguiar's headlight refurbish kit that includes, sand paper, Wool pad for a variable speed drill, Plastic X, micro fiber towel. You should use a spray detailer to "wet" the headlight surface before and during the process.
Meguiars also sells a UV polish to retain the new look for a longer period of time. For best results, read the instructions or go to Meguiars website for this procedure.
It works great, if done properly.....
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 05-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's chalky/flaky, you may have to start with a more aggressive wet-sand grit. There are a bunch of threads on this.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Old 05-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Received 530 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
I have used the headlight restoration kit from 3M for years. Always get excellent results.

Later,

Old 05-14-2016, 05:18 PM

And I use Meguiar's PlastX Cleaner & Polish product every 6 months on my headlights, fog lights, & taillights. Keeps everything looking clean & bright. I've owned my XFire for 8 years and never had to use a headlight restoration kit by using the PlastX Cleaner & Polish product every 6 months.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 05-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought 600, 1000 and 2000 grit sand paper, a plastic spray bottle and a clear coat in the can spray. Taped off around head lights, wet sand with 600 grit and then with 1000 grit, sanded lighter(Pressure) and finally with the 2000 grit, even light pressure. Keeping the lens wet at all times. When done sanding, wiped with paper towel(drying) and then wiped with alcohol. Then taped up area large enough around head lights for over spray and lightly (each coat) did 3 coats on the lens. Look good and a lot better lighting at night. After a couple of days wax them with a good polish. Invest a couple of hours and about $10. Forgot to include that lens will look frosted, after sanding and prepping them, but will clear up when you clear coat them.

Last edited by djohn14296; 05-14-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: forgot to include what lens will look like when done sanding and prepping
Old 05-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Forgot to include that lens will look frosted, after sanding and prepping them, but will clear up when you clear coat them.
Yes, that is what you are looking for initially, an even frosted appearance. As you work up through the grits. the frosting gradually disappears, the final step with the polishing compound makes then crystal clear.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

First off, I would never sand the lens dry as shown in the video. Slow and wet is the way to go. The lens used in the video is not perfectly clear like the Crossfire. When restoring the Crossfire lens, it must be completed really well or every imperfection will show. Been there done that.

And I am told if you use clear out of a can, you are asking for trouble early down the road. You must use a two-part clear if want it to last any time. No clear, just a plastic polish every once in a while after the restore.

Just my opinion. James

Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 PM

Xfire,
I didn't polish the lens, after wet sanding with 2000 grit and cleaning and let dry, shot them with 3 light coats of clear coat spray, guess if you want to polish then out and the clear coat, see no harm. Mine are clear and look almost new.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:04 AM

OK.
I polished mine and installed Laminix clear covers to protect against rocks.
3 years later, still good as new.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 PM

I use Maguire's kit and it keeps me clear for about 6 months.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 PM

So did I, but the clear protective covers have kept them clear for over 3 years now ......

Old 05-16-2016, 10:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
So did I, but the clear protective covers have kept them clear for over 3 years now ......
I'm glad I went with a film too. I've had the Xpel 3M film on the headlamps and fogs for around 7 or 8 years now and they still look great.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rob M
I'm glad I went with a film too. I've had the Xpel 3M film on the headlamps and fogs for around 7 or 8 years now and they still look great.
A lot of us didn't have that option, bought our Xfires used and head lamps and driving lights already degraded. Glad that worked out for you.....

Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 AM

I just used Sylvania kit. It comes everything you need including polishing compound, sandpaper and UV clear coat.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by djohn14296
A lot of us didn't have that option, bought our Xfires used and head lamps and driving lights already degraded. Glad that worked out for you.....
Once you have them looking good, add the film.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djohn14296
Anyone can use the protective film. I didn't use it until after I restored the lenses by wet sanding and polishing though in hindsight it would have been a great idea to install the film from new. The argument for using protective film after restoration is that you don't have to repeat the process or continue with periodic repolishing/refinishing. I simply apply wax over the film when I wax the vehicle, though I have no idea whether that has any benefit to the film. With the film you also get the added protection against chips and lens breakage.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Thumbs up Re: Headlight Restoration

Originally Posted by Rob M
Anyone can use the protective film. I didn't use it until after I restored the lenses by wet sanding and polishing though in hindsight it would have been a great idea to install the film from new. The argument for using protective film after restoration is that you don't have to repeat the process or continue with periodic repolishing/refinishing. I simply apply wax over the film when I wax the vehicle, though I have no idea whether that has any benefit to the film. With the film you also get the added protection against chips and lens breakage.
This is exactly what I did.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
OK.
I polished mine and installed Laminix Clear Covers to protect against rocks.
3 years later, still good as new.
Thanks for the recommendation above. I've been looking for a lens cover that would fit the Crossfire. Looks like I can get covers for my 2006 F-150 also. Those headlight assemblies are huge & I'd like to get them protected also.

Later,

Quick Reply: Headlight Restoration