CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/)
-   -   Resonator removal on a NA Crossfire (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/23892-resonator-removal-na-crossfire.html)

Valk 04-24-2008 09:20 PM

Resonator removal on a NA Crossfire ???

Has anyone here had the resonators removed off their NA Crossfire ??

I believe the NA Crossfire has two resonators
(one on each side before the cats)

I have a 2004 Crossfire and just purchased Needswings CAI.
I have heard a SRT6 and one NA Crossfire with the resonators removed and liked the increased sound.

I am not looking to do this for a performance gain but mostly for the increase in sound while keeping the OEM muffler on my car.

Any feedback and pics would be appreciated here.
Thanks , Gary

RPM 04-25-2008 07:49 AM

Re: Resonator removal on a NA Crossfire

I didn't think the na Crossfires had resonators. Others will know better than I though.

robby363 04-25-2008 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by RPM
I didn't think the na Crossfires had resonators. Others will know better than I though.

They don't they just have the 2 front and 2 rear catalytic converters.

Valk 04-25-2008 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by RPM

Shark067 was at the Dragon told me he had his two resonators removed.
Maybe he had two cats removed ??
Will it still pass emissions without them if this is the case.
Secondly why two sets of cats anyway ??

robby363 04-25-2008 08:06 AM

He might have been referring to the rear cats. From what I've read both the n/a and srt have 4 cats 2 on each pipe only the the srt has a resonator.

Valk 04-25-2008 08:12 AM

I guess I will find out when I stop by the muffler shop.
I will post my findings although I don't know when I will be going in for this.
Any others here with knowledge, please post what you have heard or know regarding this question.

Thanks , Gary

RIOT 04-25-2008 08:28 AM

As far as I have read you don't have one.

The place to go is the muffler shop on Eola road just south of the Ace Hardware...its in the parking lot for a strip mall.
Its like a mile south of 83rd(montgomery road)
But it is north of 95th(wolfs crossing)
On the East side of the street.
Tell them the guy with the Mercedes sent ya....(Jerry)
A bunch of us have been there.
They know what they are doing.

K.K.

robby363 04-25-2008 08:45 AM

OK now I'm confused, I've read on dfferent forums that our cars have 4 cats but after looking at them are the 2 rear ones cats or are they actually some type of small resonators. Does anyone actually know what they are.:confused:

BrianBrave 04-25-2008 12:13 PM

Here is a picture of the resonator off my SRT6 - if you look hard - you can see the AMG logo stamped on top.

There was no resonator(s) on my 06 Limited - or any other AMG part. But there were four CATS - one right below the exhaust manfold on each side and two near the rear differential on each exhaust pipe.

Hope this helps..

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...0/IMG_0497.jpg

Valk 04-25-2008 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Here is a picture of the resonator off my SRT6 - if you look hard - you can see the AMG logo stamped on top.

There was no resonator(s) on my 06 Limited - or any other AMG part. But there were four CATS - one right below the exhaust manifold on each side and two near the rear differential on each exhaust pipe.

Hope this helps..

So then my question here is can I have two cats removed and still pass emissions test each year?
And if so does it matter which two I remove (front set or rear set) ??

BrianBrave 04-25-2008 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
So then my question here is can I have two cats removed and still pass emissions test each year?

Not sure of the smog standards in your state.

In CA we have strict smog requirements (but we also have the most cars on the road)

Last time my truck failed the smog test and I had to replace the CAT, O2 Sensor and EGR valve in order to pass. This is why I won't even mess with the emission components on my vehicles.

apkano 04-25-2008 03:25 PM

Just get the magnaflow cat-back Gary. It's a little pricey, and a good deal louder. :D It's not a "ricey" loud.......just DEEP.

The tips that come out the back of the car are pretty big, and fill out the area nicely. They measure 3.5" tall and 5.5" wide.

here's a link to the sheet from Magnaflow....http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=AMML&id=6680

Here's the site I ordered it from, $505.00 shipped. http://www.magnaflow-champ.com/index...&Category=8704

I just put mine on......I already love it. You should have it made with a coupe.....the roadsters have a underbody brace that gets right in the way! :mad:

Valk 04-25-2008 07:28 PM

I heard Frank's Magnaflow 14161 muffler at the Dragon. Although it sounds good I didn't like the drone at lower RPM's.
I know for a fact that on a SRT6 with just the resonator removed the stock muffler is the perfect sound for me and less than $150 for the mod to the exhaust. I just wanted to determine if the NA Crossfire has resonators.

BorlaCrossfire04 was at the Dragon told me he had his two resonators removed and his had the sound I want.
He has a 04 Base model but the question is what was removed...2 front cats or 2 resonators

apkano 04-25-2008 07:40 PM

You're right......I have noticed a considerable amount of noise and the lower midrange of the RPM range. Probably more so with the cat-back than the muffler alone.

If you're concerned with being too noisy.......I wouldn't recommend the system I have.

BrianBrave 04-25-2008 08:47 PM

I know for a fact that on a SRT6 with just the resonator removed the stock muffler is the perfect sound for me and less than $150 for the mod to the exhaust.

Well more like $300 if you stay pure Stainless Steel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JUAFv7BGwM

parawxman 04-25-2008 09:05 PM

The most significant results you can expect after removal of 2 cats is a CEL and an emissions failure. Hi Flow cats are available from Random Technocogies for replacement, but the suggestions of a CAT back are the best solution overall

Valk 04-27-2008 10:51 AM

Well yesterday I received and installed my Needswings CAI.
I also spoke to Rob afterwords and he said that the na Crossfire and the SRT6 all have four catalytic converters.
In addition, the SRT6 also has a resonator and the na Crossfires does not.

Valk 05-01-2008 07:26 AM

OK ...here is another thought I have here. Looking for feedback.

The SRT6 and the NA Crossfire both have the exhaust with 4 cats.
The SRT6 also has a resonator and the NA Crossfire does not.

When the resonator is removed on a SRT6 it gives it a nice deep exhaust tone without any drone at any RPM while retaining the stock muffler.

So If the NA Crossfire and the SRT6 have the same exhaust (w/4 cats) and the NA already does not have a resonator then why doesn't it sound like a SRT6 without a resonator.

Do these two cars have a different stock muffler ??

robby363 05-01-2008 07:33 AM

OK ...here is another thought I have here. Looking for feedback.

The SRT6 and the NA Crossfire both have the exhaust with 4 cats.
The SRT6 also has a resonator and the NA Crossfire does not.

When the resonator is removed on a SRT6 it gives it a nice deep exhaust tone without any drone at any RPM while retaining the stock muffler.

So If the NA Crossfire and the SRT6 have the same exhaust (w/4 cats) and the NA already does not have a resonator then why doesn't it sound like a SRT6 without a resonator.

Do these two cars have a different stock muffler ??

They both have 4 cats but the srt exhaust and muffler are different.

Valk 05-01-2008 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by robby363
They both have 4 cats but the srt exhaust and muffler are different.

If I found a stock SRT6 Muffler would it fit on my na Crossfire at all.
If so do you think I could achieve the same sound ??