Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Screen removal on MAF below intake on NA 3.2 M112

Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Screen removal on MAF below intake on NA 3.2 M112

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I could be wrong in my opinion on this, the 74mm TB has an increase in area of about 20% over the 68mm TB. The difference in the 3.2 liter engine and the 5.5 liter say is about 70%. Hence at any given rpm the need for air in the 5.5 liter engine is 70% greater.

The air passing the sensor will be travelling faster in the 5.5 liter engine and any cooling will thus be greater. Using a sensor for a 5.5 liter MAF in the 3.2 liter MAF will let the sensor stay warmer as less air travels over it.
I would think that the 3.2 liter sensor will adapt better than the 5.5 liter sensor.

I had no idea at all how the sensor worked, but if what you say is correct and I have no reason to doubt you, the use of the sensor for the larger engine does not seem correct to me.

I'm using the 3.2 sensor in the 74mm MAF with no problems that I can see.

A smaller V8 would have less difference naturally. It would even out with a 4 liter V8 approx.
You may be correct. When I put the V6 MAF in my car to get the V8 running, Robert Krause who's shop I worked in said I should I should get the V8 MAF becaue they are calibrated to the tube diameter. My uncle the race car mechanic says it doesn't matter. I didn't revive this old thread to swap MAF's and housings but rather to report that roveoving the screen's and baffles is a standard mod done by Kleeman. They said they have never seen less than 10hp on the dyno just by doing this. I am also assuming that most of these dyno's where done on n/a 55's getting their supercharger. The key thing they told me was to get rid of everything including the plastic baffles. They claim MB put all this crap in there to make the intake quiet. If you look at pictures of the Needswings intake, it replaces both the MAF housing and the elbow with the baffles and I don't think Needswings put any baffles or screens in there. I just did this for fun and did notice a difference. the rest of my intake is crap and all this will go in the trash when I get the Needswings set up.

BTW, Almost all the M113 V8's including my 500 engine have the 74mm throttle body. for me to upgrade I would have to get one from a SLR.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the 74mm TB and MAF mod. I am using the v8 MAF sensor with no issues. This coming weekend, I will be completing my cold air intake which is similar to the Needswings design. The MAF tube will be deleted so, no screens or baffles.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
One word, VINDICATION! Now, since I only have half this mod (the MAF descreening) I need to know how to get to those baffles in the lower section. Is this the section the MAF snaps on to? I think I remember those baffles so next warm sunny day I'll pop that MAF back off. Then I'll have this new MOD 100%

Just need help on how to get that elbow with those baffles off.

BTW, there is a lagre gauge screen inside the engine cover after the filters that sit right above the MAF when installed. I DID NOT take this screen out!
Once you have removed the MAF piece ( which you are already familiar with ), all you do to remove the elbow to the TB is to pull the 2 plastic tabs on the elbow away from the TB. Be careful, if this is the first time you have removed this piece, then the gasket to the TB will be 'bonded', you might have to work it up/down, side/side a bit.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

... Deleted ...

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 10-06-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM

One word, VINDICATION!
I will eat my words, Ghost, just glad we will get some HP out of it

Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 PM

Ghost, just my 2 cents, but I would recommend you go with the NeedsWings single CAI for your N/A.
My mileage went from 29-30 up to 35 on the trip to the Dragon & back.
( according to my UltraGuage, and miles/gallons at the pump. )
You can always store the OEM parts away in the event you ever need to put it back original for selling / trading etc.

UPDATE : yesterday replaced the K&N with a larger K&N from Summit Racing - might be even better yet !!!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Ghost, just my 2 cents, but I would recommend you go with the NeedsWings single CAI for your N/A.
My mileage went from 29-30 up to 35 on the trip to the Dragon & back.
( according to my UltraGuage, and miles/gallons at the pump. )
You can always store the OEM parts away in the event you ever need to put it back original for selling / trading etc.

UPDATE : yesterday replaced the K&N with a larger K&N from Summit Racing - might be even better yet !!!
35! That's insane! I thought my 32mpg with my current setup was something to brag about... guess I'll have to break down and buy one after all LOL

Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
35! That's insane! I thought my 32mpg with my current setup was something to brag about... guess I'll have to break down and buy one after all LOL
I used cruise all the way, never exceeded the speed limit. Perhaps that explains it ?
( Listened to "A Submarine Commanders Diary" from the thumb drive all the way there and back )

Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM

... Deleted ...

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 10-06-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

... Deleted ...

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 10-06-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ghost, best prices I've found:

Max-Redline.com - Aluminum Pipe:3" Aluminum Pipe

Intake Pipe Reducer

Bending Reducer

Have fun!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I am about with you on MPG with a DIY Dual, but he did say GOING THE SPEEDLIMIT THE ENTIRE TIME and that is something I have NEVER been accused of

Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM

Oh, yeah, sometime down the road I will be installing a true CAI. I wonder if Lowes has the piping I need (just kidding). Surely there are some components available locally that can reduce the overall cost (I am on a pension/budget). Yeah, a CAI is down the road just not sure how far down the road it is.
Be the first ( I think ) to do a Lowes / Home Depot PVC CAI.
3" sewer pipe should be just the thing .......
( and you also get all that neat stenciled writing on it - maybe you can get it in BLACK !!! )
who needs rubber connectors ? just use the purple stuff and glue it all together

Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Be the first ( I think ) to do a Lowes / Home Depot PVC CAI.
3" sewer pipe should be just the thing .......
( and you also get all that neat stenciled writing on it - maybe you can get it in BLACK !!! )
who needs rubber connectors ? just use the purple stuff and glue it all together
Do Not listen to the man behind the curtain!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I am about with you on MPG with a DIY Dual, but he did say GOING THE SPEEDLIMIT THE ENTIRE TIME and that is something I have NEVER been accused of
WTH is a speed limit?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the 74mm MAF on the car, I went ahead and pulled the baffles out and sanded them down smooth. Started the car up, runs kind of rough, doesn't sound wright. Seems to have a lot of hesitation, etc. I'm going to pull it off and recheck everything ( Hoses, leaks,et.). If it still is rough, I'll put the old one back on until I can figure out what is going on.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 PM

I just put the old MAF 68mm back on the car. The 74mm big MAF had a lot of hesitation. Couldn't find anything wrong, etc. Maybe the sensor is not working correctly. So, at this time I have the OEM MAF on the car minus the baffles in the elbow.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by dtinker
I just put the 74mm MAF on the car, I went ahead and pulled the baffles out and sanded them down smooth. Started the car up, runs kind of rough, doesn't sound wright. Seems to have a lot of hesitation, etc. I'm going to pull it off and recheck everything ( Hoses, leaks,et.). If it still is rough, I'll put the old one back on until I can figure out what is going on.
What sensor are you using? Some say the OEM one is best, others say the one in the 74mm MAF takes a while to adjust.
I used the OEM one and it worked just fine from the get go.
There is a chance that the one in the 74mm MAF is faulty.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 PM

I have the OEM MAF 68mm on now, minus the baffles in the elbow. When I had the 74mm MAF on it was using the new sensor that was mounted when I bought it. I have some stuff to do Friday and Sat, but may switch the old (68 mm MAF)sensor to the 74mm MAF and see how that works on Sunday afternoon.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by dtinker
I have the OEM MAF 68mm on now, minus the baffles in the elbow. When I had the 74mm MAF on it was using the new sensor that was mounted when I bought it. I have some stuff to do Friday and Sat, but may switch the old (68 mm MAF)sensor to the 74mm MAF and see how that works on Sunday afternoon.
The screws to take out the sensor have five point Torx sockets not the usual six. They are tamper resistant with that pin in the middle of the socket.
I used a flat head screw driver which was a tamper resistant type. It had a notch in the middle that cleared the pin in the slot on the screw head. Beaner said he used a normal flat head screw driver that fit.
Look for a screw driver before you start the job is my tip.

The socket is chewed up a bit but you can see the five lobes.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-13-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Screen removal on MAF below intake on NA 3.2 M112