Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

vibrating shifter above 75mph

Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking vibrating shifter above 75mph

Hi! (2004 ltd coupe,117k)
Let me start out by saying this forum has kept my car up and running without being exploited by dealerships. Lately i have noticed that at speeds above 75mph my gearshift tends to vibrate. past 80mph it vibrates rather violently, but i cant really keep an eye on it cause im driving at speeds of 80mph.
I bought engine and trans. mount/s, but have yet to replace them. i have been reading up on the subject and i have heard "gearshift bushing" mentioned in regards to vibrating shifter. also some people are saying flex disc/guibo.
i dont know if its worth mentioning but when putting her in park there is always a metal click/popping sound. also,there are spots on the airbox where it is rubbing up on the insulated hood liner on the uppermost outer back corners of the box.
should i jump to conclusions and replace the mounts for both engine and trans. along with the gearshift bushing? or do you think the vibrating shifter is a driveshaft issue? the higher speed the more violent the shake. needless to say im going 70 on the dot. HELP?
if i dont get a reply soon i think i will jump the gun and have the shop do the mounts.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: vibrating shifter above 75mph

Originally Posted by xviiviexie
Hi! (2004 ltd coupe,117k)
Let me start out by saying this forum has kept my car up and running without being exploited by dealerships. Lately i have noticed that at speeds above 75mph my gearshift tends to vibrate. past 80mph it vibrates rather violently, but i cant really keep an eye on it cause im driving at speeds of 80mph.
I bought engine and trans. mount/s, but have yet to replace them. i have been reading up on the subject and i have heard "gearshift bushing" mentioned in regards to vibrating shifter. also some people are saying flex disc/guibo.
i dont know if its worth mentioning but when putting her in park there is always a metal click/popping sound. also,there are spots on the airbox where it is rubbing up on the insulated hood liner on the uppermost outer back corners of the box.
should i jump to conclusions and replace the mounts for both engine and trans. along with the gearshift bushing? or do you think the vibrating shifter is a driveshaft issue? the higher speed the more violent the shake. needless to say im going 70 on the dot. HELP?
if i dont get a reply soon i think i will jump the gun and have the shop do the mounts.
The engine mounts on these are notorious for failure.

Two things that lead me to believe it's the engine mounts:
  • Abrasions on the airbox (from the engine flexing too far)
  • Vibration in shifter increases as speed (RPM) increases
In this one case, it's almost worth it for anyone to have a shop do the repair, as the swap is a nightmare and nearly impossible to torque to specs.