Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Hard Clutch pedal

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hard Clutch pedal

Hi, well, my '04 XF 6 speed manual is giving me a hint I guess. The clutch pedal gets hard if i ride in one set gear for a period of time (highway for example) when I press the clutch to disengage whatever gear is on, I notice it's very hard compared to how it normally is. I know the last owner was an old lady who I believe wasn't very keen on the clutch..
Any ideas? ever happened to anyone here? I don't want to go into the shop before asking here in the forum...

Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hard Clutch pedal

I've experienced the same in my '06. Typically when exiting the expressway after a long drive, the pedal feels a bit stiff, but then loosens up after pressing it a few times.

I'm not familiar with the clutch setup on these cars but the behavior would point to the slave. This means likely a full clutch job as your dissassembling anyway...Clutch disc, pressure plate, slave, throwout bearing, rear main, flywheel resurface...etc.

Probobly going to be quite a costly fix as manual trans bits will not be covered by warranty. If I recall the clutch and plate alone were somewhere around $1200 last I looked.

If the clutch is hydraulic (again I'm not familiar with this setup) you could certainly try replacing the fluid. Perhaps its boiled a few to many times?

Old 08-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaverj
I've experienced the same in my '06. Typically when exiting the expressway after a long drive, the pedal feels a bit stiff, but then loosens up after pressing it a few times.

I'm not familiar with the clutch setup on these cars but the behavior would point to the slave. This means likely a full clutch job as your dissassembling anyway...Clutch disc, pressure plate, slave, throwout bearing, rear main, flywheel resurface...etc.

Probobly going to be quite a costly fix as manual trans bits will not be covered by warranty. If I recall the clutch and plate alone were somewhere around $1200 last I looked.

If the clutch is hydraulic (again I'm not familiar with this setup) you could certainly try replacing the fluid. Perhaps its boiled a few to many times?
Rock auto has a clutch for $666, slave for 265 and master for 80

Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
Rock auto has a clutch for $666, slave for 265 and master for 80
Ouch. I expected it to be some cheaper problem.... like transmition fluid or something like that...

Old 08-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by almasyff8
Ouch. I expected it to be some cheaper problem.... like transmition fluid or something like that...
I was just giving prices, not a diagnosis lol.. it may be something as simple as a clogged return line, or may not even be a problem if it only occurs once in a while.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
I was just giving prices, not a diagnosis lol.. it may be something as simple as a clogged return line, or may not even be a problem if it only occurs once in a while.
Well it doesn't happen very often... but still I hope it just some stupid problem. The thing is, the clutch doesn't slip at all and this is the only issue I've found at all... I counting on this forum to point me in the right direction..