CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/)
-   -   Noisy valves??? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/67309-noisy-valves.html)

Trenzman 04-06-2014 11:19 AM

Noisy valves???

OK I have read every post on this ticking sound, noises from the engine and so on. Everyone has asked for a video or sound of it so I am posting this. This is my car, the valve covers are off and I must say it's the cleanest internals I have ever seen on an engine. The cams, rockers, springs all look amazing. So I don't get where the noise I'd coming from. It's defiantly on the passenger side, my guess is some valve issue. It idles perfectly, runs great, good gas mileage. .I'm stumped. I do feel the tapping in the metal egr tube off the back of the motor. Any ideas, since most of yall have been through yours and others you may have an idea.Hopefully this link will work
Crossfire engine noise:

lildaddym 04-06-2014 01:41 PM

Re: Noisy valves???

I am interested in the answer to this...

syfi 04-06-2014 02:14 PM

Also interested....my Limited is a ticker too! SRT6 is completely quiet besides common belt noise.

lildaddym 04-06-2014 02:15 PM

I had some comments on the Carfax that mentioned some engine work...wonder if that is related?

Trenzman 04-07-2014 10:53 AM

Obviously with the wealth of knowledge on here ,no one can figure this out. So hopefully someone will read this....since there are two plugs per cylinder if one fouls out will it throw a code? or run funny. :confused:

Wes__Hutchinson 04-07-2014 03:11 PM

Does the noise change with engine temperature, cold oil versus hot oil, or does it speed up and slow down with RPM or go away at high RPM's. I hear what sounds like a rod knock. The lower pitched sound on the video. I also hear the valve train ticking along but it sounds normal to my ear.

Trenzman 04-07-2014 03:27 PM

sound goes away with rpm, you only hear it whe it idles at the first big mark, i am assuming thats 500rpm.

ZAHANMA 04-07-2014 04:11 PM

This is common and normal for the M112 and M112k motors. They have notoriously noisy lifters that make a ticking noise.

Da55id 04-07-2014 05:16 PM

Are any particular oils quieter than any others while still meeting the specs?

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA (Post 791089)
This is common and normal for the M112 and M112k motors. They have notoriously noisy lifters that make a ticking noise.

lildaddym 04-07-2014 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA (Post 791089)

When should one consider that the noise is too loud? I can hear mine idling in a drive-through, sometimes.

vinnys 04-07-2014 06:49 PM

Thats not a tick, thats a knock. Not in valve train. Sounds like a lower end knock, such as piston slap or wrist pin knock.

lildaddym 04-07-2014 07:13 PM

Mine doesn't sound like that...

hired_gun1000 04-27-2014 02:37 PM

My engine knocked for about 10 minutes when I first started it up this spring after winter hibernation. I left it idle until the engine warmed up and then gently started to rev it until all smooted out and the noise went away. I have since replacced my oïl without any noise returning. I am worried about what I should do next winter though as I don't want to cause any undue wear. Any ideas on this subject would be appreciated! 2006 Roadster w/35,000 mi.

onehundred80 04-27-2014 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by lildaddym (Post 791116)
When should one consider that the noise is too loud? I can hear mine idling in a drive-through, sometimes.

Do not go to drive throughs and the problem solves itself .... simple.:p

lildaddym 04-27-2014 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 793771)
Do not go to drive throughs and the problem solves itself .... simple.:p

LOL! Funny!