CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/)
-   -   What is the biggest Filter we can use to replace Needswings Single? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/68223-what-biggest-filter-we-can-use-replace-needswings-single.html)

mobilefitt 06-24-2014 07:22 PM

What is the biggest Filter we can use to replace Needswings Single?

I recently purchased a NW CAI single for my Limited Roadster. The filter looks beat up quite a bit and I'd like to replace it. I want to go big as I can, and/or max flow.

K&N is not my first choice in filters so Im curious if anyone has tried to go bigger or use a different manufacture or style.

Also, anyone try a cover for their intake tube? That thing gets hot enough to fry an egg on after just a short drive.

I'd love some recommendations. I saw the volant thread (very cool) but I need sizes so I can shop online.

:)

xfireon20z 06-24-2014 08:03 PM

Re: What is the biggest Filter we can use to replace Needswings Single?

K&N is the best in my opinion rob at needswings sells them k&n xtremes i think there called...you have an n/a right? it does matter if you cover it in ice its not going to be any faster with a cover just sayin'

mobilefitt 06-25-2014 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by xfireon20z (Post 801244)
K&N is the best in my opinion rob at needswings sells them k&n xtremes i think there called...you have an n/a right? it does matter if you cover it in ice its not going to be any faster with a cover just sayin'

yeah.... size please?

ala_xfire 06-25-2014 09:44 AM

I once did a home-made cover for my NW single CAI from foam-backed foil and some foil tape I got from Home Depot for insulating pipes. It did well in the IAT department, but simply looked like sh*t.
During the summer here, I see 14 - 20 degrees over ambient IAT's, with the insulation I was seeing 6 - 9 degrees for 30 minutes or so, then it would eventually heat soak and I'd see 10 - 14 degrees difference.

I installed a large off brand filter, cone shaped with reverse cone at the small end, not sure what the size is, but MUCH larger than the K&N I have from NW.

bluecoupe 06-25-2014 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mobilefitt (Post 801238)
I recently purchased a NW CAI single for my Limited Roadster. The filter looks beat up quite a bit and I'd like to replace it. I want to go big as I can, and/or max flow.

K&N is not my first choice in filters so Im curious if anyone has tried to go bigger or use a different manufacture or style.

Also, anyone try a cover for their intake tube? That thing gets hot enough to fry an egg on after just a short drive.

I'd love some recommendations. I saw the volant thread (very cool) but I need sizes so I can shop online.

:)

this is the biggest filter I could fit on my NW CAI with the grille intact.........21-2038DK - AEM Universal Air Filters, AEM DryFlow Air Filter direct from AEM

meh03 06-25-2014 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe (Post 801287)
this is the biggest filter I could fit on my NW CAI with the grille intact.........21-2038DK - AEM Universal Air Filters, AEM DryFlow Air Filter direct from AEM

Any flow stats? I'm wondering how it compares to the K&N?

meh03 06-25-2014 12:53 PM

Do you have the supercooler installed with this filter?

mobilefitt 06-25-2014 01:28 PM

THANKYOU!

That K & N from needswings looks good but the price is kinda high. If I were supercharged, I'd worry more about flow. As an NA, I want cold air. Just need a new filter, thats all. It would be nice to have something cool looking and effective.

JEFASOLD 06-25-2014 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by mobilefitt (Post 801302)
THANKYOU!

That K & N from needswings looks good but the price is kinda high. If I were supercharged, I'd worry more about flow. As an NA, I want cold air. Just need a new filter, thats all. It would be nice to have something cool looking and effective.

I was looking at the filters from Edelbrock, they look like they should flow well and they're Blue and would look good with my car if anybody could actually see them. LOL

Valk 06-25-2014 09:38 PM

I just ordered one of these for my car

Replacing the K&N that came with my Needswings CAI 6 years ago
Decided to go with the DryFlow technology

crookedview 06-25-2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by VALK (Post 801354)

I just ordered one of these for my car

Replacing the K&N that came with my Needswings CAI 6 years ago
Decided to go with the DryFlow technology

I would be interested to know if you notice any differences (positive or negative) switching from the K&N.

Valk 06-26-2014 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by crookedview (Post 801358)
I would be interested to know if you notice any differences (positive or negative) switching from the K&N.

I will report back in a few weeks.
I am heading out to CAA5 in Colorado next week so I have about 2200 miles to check it out
;)

bluecoupe 06-26-2014 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by meh03 (Post 801297)
Do you have the supercooler installed with this filter?

No super cooler, I did relocate the horns and use NW ps cooling line to allow the grille to fit. I suppose the stock ps cooling line could be bent (gently) to allow for clearance.

ala_xfire 06-26-2014 06:55 AM

I suppose the stock PS cooling lines could be bent (gently) to allow for clearance.
They can, and were in my case.

Valk 06-29-2014 12:08 AM

this is the biggest filter i could fit on my nw cai with the grille intact.........21-2038dk - aem universal air filters, aem dryflow air filter direct from aem

Originally Posted by valk (Post 801354)

i just ordered one of these for my car

replacing the k&n that came with my needswings cai 6 years ago
decided to go with the dryflow technology

Originally Posted by crookedview (Post 801358)
i would be interested to know if you notice any differences (positive or negative) switching from the k&n.

This filter will absolutely not fit my single Needswings CAI on my 04 Crossfire :rolleyes:
The 3" inside diameter is fine but the overall filter is way to large

I returned it for a refund fortunately

bluecoupe 07-01-2014 09:18 AM

Gary, that's what I thought at first but it absolutely does fit, even with the grille on and no mods to the grille. I have it installed on my SRT6.............https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=88044&thumb=1https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=88043&thumb=1https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=88042&thumb=1https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=88041&thumb=1https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=88040&thumb=1

bluecoupe 06-02-2015 08:24 PM

I got this from the MB Forum.....post #21 supports use of dryflow vs K&N on SRT6's
Changing the air filter on the GLK 250 Bluetec - MBWorld.org Forums

mobilefitt 06-11-2015 07:20 PM

S & B R1068.

I just worked with a tech there and I think it's as big and functional as I want.

Rubber top so not much heat soak like a chrome topped filter. Velocity stack on top, and it's blue.

I need a cover to fit it now.

I will report and post pics if and when it works!

Universal Filter

mobilefitt 07-10-2015 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Take a look!

GraphiteGhost 07-11-2015 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by mobilefitt (Post 841746)
Take a look!

:( Do you have any idea how much restriction in the cooling capacity of the condenser and radiator coils you are imposing onto those systems with that huge block in front of almost 1/2 of designed specs? How is your A/C and engine cooling working? I'm curious if your having heat or comfort problems with that setup. :(