Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Need help ASAP!!! Transmission limp mode

Old 04-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help ASAP!!! Transmission limp mode

I recently coded p0715 turbine/speed sensor, I did some research. Bought a new connector plate and 6 quarts of trans fluid. After replacing and cleaning the pan and everything involved we replaced the connector plate and the fluid to the appropriate level. I am still stuck in limp mode and I still code p0715. Today I drove the car to a repair shop to see if they would be able to clear the code more in depth than I was able to with "turbo" the android app. They "cleared" it (*probably no less in-depth than I*) but when I started the car the code came back on. What do you guys think I should do? My dads losing faith in the car and i'd rather not sell it.
Could it possibly be:
I read some things about the TCM being the issue with limp mode and I believe my dad checked it out. He took one of the plugs and unplugged it for about 30 seconds but what I had read was to leave it unplugged over night. If I do so, and it clears the memory, How would I retrain the TCM unit?

The reason I think this would work, too my understanding, although we replaced the connector plate the TCM unit still believes it to be broken or faulty. If im correct (unlikely) the unit is coding p0715 and keeping the car in LIMP mode to protect itsself from damage. And until I tell the car its not damaged/ safe to shift, it will stay in limp mode. Mainly I need to know how to retrain the TCM because I've never done this and I believe its the last thing I've left to try as a solution.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Need help ASAP!!! Transmission limp mode

I had mine replaced and I'm pretty sure they had to have a "conversation" with the transmission to make it work.

A trip to the stealership?

Sorry.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

First, you need to be SURE that you have the proper fluid level in the transmission as improper fluid level will continue to throw the transmission into limp mode. I doubt you have a dip stick so how did you check that you brought the transmission fluid "to the appropriate level"?

The transmission control module is under passenger side floor where the radio amplifier is at. It doesn't sound like you were "in there". After replacing my conductor plate and still having the transmission in limp mode, I was able to fix the problem by removing the TCM, cleaning all the contacts thoroughly, putting it back in and hooking it back up. Try that . . . There is no retraining of the TCM and no codes are stored there. Just clean the contacts and the connectors and hook it back up. I would also suggest applying some dielectric grease (available at any decent auto parts store) on the connections. You MUST clear the P0715 code again (from the ECM) or the transmission will remain in limp mode. I suggest that you invest in a decent OBDII unit so you can read and clear codes yourself . . . it's a good long term investment.

DSCF0093.jpg

Pull down the carpet, pull down the foam plate. Remove 3 10mm nuts and pull down the metal plate shown above. The larger black box to the left of the radio amplifier is the TCM . . .

Here is a TCM for your reference . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Crossfire-TCM-Transmission-Control-Module-Computer-/131451461865?hash=item1e9b1e20e9&vxp=mtr

Last edited by RED DOG; 04-07-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:27 AM

I have had my transmission act up the past week or two as well. I have gotten the check engine light coming on and throwing the P0715. Generally parking it, turning the car off and restarting it seems to placate the problem for a while. The odd thing I have noticed is after letting the car sit overnight from when it happens, the check engine light does not come back on and no codes are found during a scan. I have already ordered the conductor plate kit and trans filter kit to replace just in case the sensors are going bad. Is it possible that this could just be caused by low fluid levels? I haven't had a chance to check the fluid level, but I have not noticed any drips of trans fluid anywhere.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by 07aeroblue
I have had my transmission act up the past week or two as well. I have gotten the check engine light coming on and throwing the P0715. Generally parking it, turning the car off and restarting it seems to placate the problem for a while. The odd thing I have noticed is after letting the car sit overnight from when it happens, the check engine light does not come back on and no codes are found during a scan. I have already ordered the conductor plate kit and trans filter kit to replace just in case the sensors are going bad. Is it possible that this could just be caused by low fluid levels? I haven't had a chance to check the fluid level, but I have not noticed any drips of trans fluid anywhere.
There are two parts to the plate that lies at the bottom of the transmission, the conductor/electrical plate and the solenoid/valve plate. They fit together, the speed sensor is on the solenoid plate I think. You can see it in the videos where the guy is taking them apart. VIDEO

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-07-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 AM

I have seen how the plate is put together in the replacement video. I just thought it was odd that one day the problem will be there with a CEL, and then the next morning it will be as though the problem never happened. Either the fluid is just at the right level to either work or not work, or it is an intermittent sensor failure.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by 07aeroblue
I have seen how the plate is put together in the replacement video. I just thought it was odd that one day the problem will be there with a CEL, and then the next morning it will be as though the problem never happened. Either the fluid is just at the right level to either work or not work, or it is an intermittent sensor failure.
I had the same intermittent failure on the same basic transmission in another Chrysler, it was a solenoid that was failing. One day it failed completely, no way would it work, they replaced or repaired the solenoid and it was fine.
The moral is to get it fixed ASAP.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 PM

So about 30m after i posted that post this is what we have done (no luck yet) We took the TCM out. I opened it up and we re-soldered the connections on the circuit * we have electrical experience* I do have the obdII bluetooth sensor it connects to android. I do have a dipstick lvl's are good. Apparently my dad found a video series on how to fix the tranny on that car. It says even though you dont think you have to, what you find on the internet is wrong. He says you need to have a DRB3 tool to clear the code on the tcm. If the tcm is coded, it will code the ecm and the ecm will light the light. So were gonna try that soon i think. Ty for the pic tho. lol if only a bit sooner, took us some poking and we found it.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 PM

Tomorrow were gonna crack it back open and check each solenoid with a 12v. That would be amazing if this was the issue... The annoying part is the week before spring break we had 70degree weather in illinois. I washed the car, replaced a headlight and then realigned them... on my test drive i coded... fml. I dont think i did anything and if i did, we would have been able to see it by now i believe.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

OK - Well it seems you've surpassed my experience level in this problem area. Good luck and please post back here so we know the final outcome and how you got it all sorted out. That will allow us to assist others in the future who are having the same problem.

Last edited by RED DOG; 04-07-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:22 AM

I think when its all said and done im going to make a new thread with pics and everything. Fancy it up.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Freezer
I think when its all said and done im going to make a new thread with pics and everything. Fancy it up.
Now, THAT'S the kind if attitude I like. We would all appreciate that.

Good luck, sir.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:01 AM

So did the DRB3 tool clear the code(s) in the TCM/ECM? A month has past since last post on this. I have the same P0715 and limp home mode. It gets really bad when both your local MB and Chrysler dealers point to each other and both fail to take care of their customer's problem. Shame on them. Neither are real car guys IMHO.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by kldiet
So did the DRB3 tool clear the code(s) in the TCM/ECM? A month has past since last post on this. I have the same P0715 and limp home mode. It gets really bad when both your local MB and Chrysler dealers point to each other and both fail to take care of their customer's problem. Shame on them. Neither are real car guys IMHO.
Yes. It definitely worked. But I did replace my connector plate and changed trans fuel before I did it. If you live In Illinois I can link you to who did it. Sort for no pics like I said. They got deleted by accident

Old 06-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Yes. It definitely worked. But I did replace my connector plate and changed trans fuel before I did it. If you live In Illinois I can link you to who did it. Sort for no pics like I said. They got deleted by accident
I live in Illinois and I need a Conductor Plate can you text me at 815-546-3436 or email message me back thanks.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ultimately fixed your issue? New solenoids?

Old 06-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Where u got it fixed?? I'm by harlem n cermak n need to fix mine n how much was it?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 AM

The problem is with the speed sensors that are part of the conductor or electric plate. Part is about $150. Total job is about $700. Or DIY for lot less if you are setup with a clean shop area. In my case both local Chrysler and MB would not do it but I had a local transmission shop that had done several MBs before and knew exactly how to fix it. They also reset the codes which is important part to have them chech.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:54 AM

Hey, freezer did you wind up fixing it by cleaning the tcu?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:28 PM

I believe that I was in limp mode on my crossfire it would not shift out of 1st and I took it to dealership and they wanted to charge me 1400 I tried a different way andbought a unewused transmission with way less miles put it in and now the car is doing the same thing could it be a sensor can anyone help me im ready to pull my hair out

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP!!! Transmission limp mode