CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/)
-   -   Throttle Position Sensor? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/72850-throttle-position-sensor.html)

Brady517 10-19-2015 04:34 PM

Throttle Position Sensor?

Alright, so the problem is when the pedal is pushed down the car will jerk quite often. From time to time it will even jerk once or twice, and shut down. All of the electronics will remain functional, but the engine is off. I've replaced the cps as someone informed me that may have been the issue.. well, it wasn't. Anyone had similar problem?

ala_xfire 10-19-2015 05:56 PM

Re: Throttle Position Sensor?

The TPS is integrated into the throttle body on Crossfires.
You can remove the black plastic cover and spray some electronics contact cleaner on the wiper fingers and the board while manually moving the butterfly back and forth.
You may have any number of problems :
gas pedal assembly
throttle body
fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel relay in the RCM module
intermittent electrical connection somewhere
You can monitor the fuel pressure at the test point on the injector rail, 55-60 PSI.

onehundred80 10-19-2015 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Brady517 (Post 850486)
Alright, so the problem is when the pedal is pushed down the car will jerk quite often. From time to time it will even jerk once or twice, and shut down. All of the electronics will remain functional, but the engine is off. I've replaced the cps as someone informed me that may have been the issue.. well, it wasn't. Anyone had similar problem?

Despite the jerking, can the car be driven at higher revs or is it unable to do anything beyond idling?

Brady517 10-20-2015 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 850495)
Despite the jerking, can the car be driven at higher revs or is it unable to do anything beyond idling?

It can be driven at higher rpms

Franc Rauscher 10-20-2015 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brady517 (Post 850525)
It can be driven at higher rpms

It could be nothing more than a loose fitting from the air cleaner, or the CAI if you have one, to the TB.

Or the TB itself loose on the manifold intake.

Our cars are so technical sometimes we overlook simple. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Brady517 10-20-2015 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher (Post 850535)
It could be nothing more than a loose fitting from the air cleaner, or the CAI if you have one, to the TB.

Or the TB itself loose on the manifold intake.

Our cars are so technical sometimes we overlook simple. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

So I ran the check engine light, and the crank position sensor, throttle position sensor, and an O2 sensor came up. Any idea where I can get a throttle sensor? My local auto parts stores don't carry them, and I have been unable to find one online for some reason. Thanks for the suggestions.

onehundred80 10-20-2015 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brady517 (Post 850541)
So I ran the check engine light, and the crank position sensor, throttle position sensor, and an O2 sensor came up. Any idea where I can get a throttle sensor? My local auto parts stores don't carry them, and I have been unable to find one online for some reason. Thanks for the suggestions.

Like many of the parts on cars these days they are replaced as a unit, so no TPS spares.
The CPS has been found to have a weakness in the fit to the connector that goes to it, also make sure you have a Bosch CPS as other have caused problems. Make sure the connector is a tight fit on the CPS and there is no problem with the connector.
One problem an cause multiple codes to be written, solve one and the others are solved miraculously.

Franc Rauscher 10-20-2015 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brady517 (Post 850541)

Codes come because something in the programing doesn't come through right. it could be the sensor or just the program faults because "something didn't go right. Keep in mind the Sensors can only tell what "DIDN"T" happen as planned.

As 180 suggested one thing can produce several codes. I get a2 02 code when the car goes lean onece in a while. E light comes on and despite replacing that sensor I still get it.

But the interruption in the throttle could just as well be an intake leak as a sensor malfunction or an actuator malfunction. Before I replacing sensors and actuators, I simply suggest making sure the plumbing is patent. Sometime the sensor isn't wrong, it's just sensing something wrong.
Not theory or a guess. When my roadster does exactly what your symptoms suggest, I often find the CAI has a loose joint. So poke around the cheap and free solutions before you buy parts.

cobra1951f 05-18-2018 05:37 PM

I get a p122 code throttle position sensor when i start in the morning, I clear the code after start up and doesn’t bother for the rest of the day driving ?? Any suggestions?

Steve Jr 05-18-2018 10:07 PM

Seafoam an WD-40 to start with.. ;)