Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Shudder from 2-3 and intermittent Rumble Strip vibration

Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder from 2-3 and intermittent Rumble Strip vibration

Hi Guys! My automatic transmission always shudders/vibrates from 2-3 on any upshift, never shudders down shifting. It does not matter if I put it in drive or manual-shift it it still shudders, if I shift it or it shifts from above 2200rpm it does not shudder but makes a whining noise as it shifts. Also I have the rumble strip vibration that is really intermittent, I can go days without it happening. When it does happen its usually around 30mph cruising, occasionally at 25mph when I lightly accelerate. This has been happening since I bought the car two months ago at 65000 miles. Otherwise the car shifts like a dream!

I looked online for people with the same issues and they all recommend to change the fluid. So I just changed the crossfires fluid at 67000 miles on the clock, used the correct 236.10 spec and filter. The fluid was not very dark but still not a cherry red, there was grey sludge but no metal shavings where on the magnet, looked really clean overall. I filled it up right with the tools and temp gun. Same issues are still happening.

I do know the previous owner did have someone look into the transmission.....they never replaced the fill tube on the tranny, I have no idea how long it has been open to the environment or if they changed it or not. I put a rubber stopper in the tube to close it off from the environment.

If anyone can chime in that would be great!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: Shudder from 2-3 and intermittent Rumble Strip vibration

sounds like the torque converter, find a local Mercedes repair shop that can turn off your torque converter with a star das laptop to verify. ive seen one go bad at 196k miles on a srt6

Old 11-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
sounds like the torque converter, find a local Mercedes repair shop that can turn off your torque converter with a star das laptop to verify. ive seen one go bad at 196k miles on a srt6
I think I have the same problem. what are the ramification of this problem.
please let me know thanks

Old 11-06-2015, 09:26 PM

I am going to a repair shop near me who specialize in European cars, hopefully they can figure it out. Although it won't be till next week.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumble Strip Noise Transmission Drive Train Shudder [Archive] - Sprinter-Forum

I found this on line check it out.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Little update, after putting a little over 200 miles on the car with the changed fluid, the shifting has gotten better. Smoother even, which is odd, its like it stays in lower gears longer going down hills in the city. I'll change the fluid again within another 1000 miles.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:16 AM

Bob, did you change the fluid and filter yourself? I had mine done with the control plate, and now i have the shudder, so I think they use the wrong fluid. What type of fluid did you replace it with?
Thanks

Old 11-11-2015, 10:44 AM

Yes I did, both the filter and the fluid. I never touched the control plate, I assume you mean conductor? Did they replace the filler cap for the trans? They could have used the wrong fluid. I replaced mine with the Valvoline fluid that was MB 236.10 spec with a drive works filter. Took about 4 quarts of fluid during the change.

To clarify your car acts funny when shifting right? Like it shifts normally but it feels like the car vibrates and hits during a shift?

Old 11-13-2015, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bob4kacz
Yes I did, both the filter and the fluid. I never touched the control plate, I assume you mean conductor? Did they replace the filler cap for the trans? They could have used the wrong fluid. I replaced mine with the Valvoline fluid that was MB 236.10 spec with a drive works filter. Took about 4 quarts of fluid during the change.

To clarify your car acts funny when shifting right? Like it shifts normally but it feels like the car vibrates and hits during a shift?
It shudders a lot in 3rd and 4th, unless the rpm is high enough. I wonder if the wrong fluid was replaced a few weeks back. Before that the shifts were hard and erratic, I attribute that to water getting in from a clogged drain under the windshield. I pulled out the TCM to inspect for damage, nothing obvious found