Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Intake Manifold, egr & crankcase breather

Old 03-31-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold, egr & crankcase breather

I have today taken delivery of a spare intake manifold, I have opened it up & intend to polish it inside & out. I have a 74mm throttle body (plus o ring), matching maf & also intend to fit a DIY cold air intake. Thought Id do all this at the same time. I am also going to fit an oil catch can, looking at the state of the internals, its really nasty, my question is - which is the worst polluter , the egr or crankcase breather?

Old 05-06-2017, 01:51 AM
Default Re: Intake Manifold, egr & crankcase breather

Installed a re-engineered egr valve today, blanked off the exhaust exit (between engine & egr) & added a vacuum hose with filtered air. When the ecu activates egr valve, the intake gets clean filtered air.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the goal of stopping the EGR process from passing the noxious fumes through the engine a second time?

Old 05-07-2017, 02:37 AM

What's the goal of stopping the EGR process from passing the noxious fumes through the engine a second time?
They never get through the first time!!!! The egr is blanked off from the engines exhaust but I've added a drilled & tapped hole with a hosetail & vacuum hose with air filter. When the ecu activates the valve it collects clean fresh air instead of hot exhaust gas.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shaneth
They never get through the first time!!!! The egr is blanked off from the engines exhaust but I've added a drilled & tapped hole with a hosetail & vacuum hose with air filter. When the ecu activates the valve it collects clean fresh air instead of hot exhaust gas.
Yea. But why? I've never heard of someone doing this and it would have a lot of little effects. What's the goal?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Its a stage in a long project, to get some more power & torque out of the 3.2 ltr lump. I've purchased an intake plenum which I've ported & polished.(as above) However when I initially opened it up, only then did I realise how gunged up this thing gets, so I am bypassing the egr (I fitted a bypass rather than just blanking it off, due to fact that it throws error codes or the eml, doing it this way keeps the process pretty stock & keeps the ecu happy with no errors or manifold pressure problems) to eliminate the hot sooty fumes & also in the process of fitting an oil catch can. Once they are both fitted, I can fit my pristine intake plenum. After that, Ill be fitting a CAI, to go with the 74mm throttle body & Maf. Next will be slightly larger injectors followed by a remap.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaneth
The EGR is there to provide exhaust gas to the intake to reduce combustion chamber temperatures in order to lower nitrogen oxide emissions. The trade-off is lower performance, slower throttle response and less gas mileage. If you "floor it" or even ask for as little as 1/2 throttle, the ECM closes the EGR, but there is a delay there. I have an EGR disable switch in my car, because when my EGR stuck closed, I noticed quicker throttle response. The guy at the local garage explained to me that my quicker response was not my imagination and explained how it all worked.

What you are doing is introducing atmospheric air which contains a LOT of O2 (as opposed to exhaust, which doesn't), this means you are raising combustion temperature as well as upsetting fuel/air mixture. Or so it would seem to me. I don't see how this increases performance. Why not just put in my disable switch for those times you want quicker response?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 AM

What you are doing is introducing atmospheric air which contains a LOT of O2 (as opposed to exhaust, which doesn't), this means you are raising combustion temperature as well as upsetting fuel/air mixture. Or so it would seem to me. I don't see how this increases performance. Why not just put in my disable switch for those times you want quicker response?

I know, that's my intention, more clean air, less hot soot, the engine can take the increased temps when tootling along, just as it can when its driven hard. Fuel / air mixture will be sorted when I get to the tune, for the moment though, I only feel the benefits, I have seen no indication of any negative affects. But I will update if that's the case.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:52 PM

Well, it's a cool project. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interested to hear how it goes.
Great pics btw
GL !

Old 06-18-2017, 06:12 AM

This is a longer project than I anticipated, indeed at one point I thought about quitting & selling the modded parts on but have to say I am now reaping the rewards of many long hours of anguish. Finally yesterday I fitted the ported & polished intake manifold (plenum). What a pita to fit. Also fitted upgraded injectors & oil catch can.

It was with trepidation that I started her up after the work, fearing the worst, a sealing failure on the plenum, a loose connection here or there, I was crapping myself tbh cos this is my everyday runner.

Boy, has this been worth it, even without the cold air intake that is planned shortly, she burbles along on idle & cruise, but then unleashes holy hell when floored !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely love it & recommend anybody to try it.

One happy guy

Old 06-18-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Boy, would you love the SRT6!!!

Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good stuff , get it tuned now and you will have even more power !

If you can ,get a dyno reading before and after the tune goes in.

thanks for sharing !