Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Desperate Help Needed!!!

Old 05-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate Help Needed!!!

Hi y'all! I have a huge prob and hope someone can help. I've got a 2004 Crossfire and recently the air has been blowing hot if I drive under 45-50, once I drive over those speeds the air kicks back in and it's cool again. So I took it to the a reputable mechanic, he said I was a pound low on freon, and that was that! Oh, and also I had a small crack in the antifreeze reservoir. Drove it home, no probs... UNTIL it idled for about 5 mins then tons of steam poured out from underneath the hood. I had to put an entire gallon of antifreeze in it!! Took it back in, needed a new reservoir, then got another call... Needed a new radiator, THEN ANOTHER CALL... Needed a new cooling fan - which the fan we can't find!! Any help on finding cheaper parts? Sure would appreciate it?? Thx.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Desperate Help Needed!!!

Ebay has always been a favorite.. then there are these ..

https://www.fcpeuro.com/

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Old 05-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
Hi y'all! I have a huge prob and hope someone can help. I've got a 2004 Crossfire and recently the air has been blowing hot if I drive under 45-50, once I drive over those speeds the air kicks back in and it's cool again. So I took it to the a reputable mechanic, he said I was a pound low on freon, and that was that! Oh, and also I had a small crack in the antifreeze reservoir. Drove it home, no probs... UNTIL it idled for about 5 mins then tons of steam poured out from underneath the hood. I had to put an entire gallon of antifreeze in it!! Took it back in, needed a new reservoir, then got another call... Needed a new radiator, THEN ANOTHER CALL... Needed a new cooling fan - which the fan we can't find!! Any help on finding cheaper parts? Sure would appreciate it?? Thx.
Are you sure your "trusted" mechanic knows what he is doing?

Many problems with the fan can be traced to a faulty fan control module located on the DS inner fender. You can test the fan by putting 12 volts to the terminals.

If it is the nipple on the coolant reservoir that is broken then there is a $2 fix for that, people are always leaning on the nipple and snapping it off.

The radiators seem pretty bullet proof from what I have seen.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And make sure, before you replace the fan, that it wasn't replaced through a Chrysler "Campaign" for faulty fans.

You may get one free.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Desperate Help Needed!!!

Heed the good comments, fan and or controller first then radiator, though it sounds like the radiator is the victim in this case. Woody

Last edited by waldig; 05-21-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
Heed the f=good comments, fan and or controller first then radiator, though it sounds like the radiator is the victim in this case. Woody

Also, you could try rockauto.com and partsgeek.com

Old 05-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

..... he said I was a pound low on freon .... had a small crack in the antifreeze reservoir..... I had to put an entire gallon of antifreeze in it!! Took it back in, needed a new reservoir, Needed a new radiator, Needed a new cooling fan -
So, the car is a pound low on Freon (a system that holds maybe 30 oz at the most anyway)? Where did it all go? I mean, if he has not explained what he did to fix the leak, then don't let him recharge the system until he does.

And the tank is bad - well, that is common and an easy fix.

And the radiator is ALSO bad?

And the fan (motor?) is ALSO bad?

Your 'mechanic' isn't this guy, is he?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-21-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Are you sure your "trusted" mechanic knows what he is doing?

Many problems with the fan can be traced to a faulty fan control module located on the DS inner fender. You can test the fan by putting 12 volts to the terminals.

If it is the nipple on the coolant reservoir that is broken then there is a $2 fix for that, people are always leaning on the nipple and snapping it off.

The radiators seem pretty bullet proof from what I have seen.
So where do you get the $2 fix for the nipple? I was told the entire reservoir needed to placed.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:51 PM

So where do you get the $2 fix for the nipple? I was told the entire reservoir needed to placed.
Has the nipple been broken off? What is wrong with the reservoir?

Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 PM

Took my car in for the air conditioning not blowing cold unless I was driving over 65-70. (He is my boyfriend's good friend, works on his caddy, and some work on his Benz so my bf is comfy w him working on my 2004 Crossfire). Anyway, Dave, the mechanic said I was a pound short of freon so he added it, did an oil change, changed a front light bulb and shined up my headlights. Got the car back the next day, my bf drove it pretty far (all freeway) no probs, I didn't have any probs until I went to Walgreens to pick up a script. I was in line for 5 mins or so just idling.... I looked up and steam was pouring out of my hood. I pulled over let it cool off then drove home. Thank goodness it was only a couple blocks. I had antifreeze at home. My boyfriend came over the next day, brought me one of his cars, put an entire gallon of antifreeze in and was going to take it back to Dave. Dave said that that when it overheated the nipple cracked so I needed a new reservoir. Got a call from the bf later saying since it overheated I needed a new radiator because I blew it and Dave supposedly showed my bf where it was leaking. THEN a call later saying the coolant fan wasn't working, he couldn't find one, had to order it from TX and now it's only intermittently working and almost cut his finger off. He supposedly has checked the fuses, etc, and the fan isn't communicating with the module and it's not coming on at all. Theyve called Mercedes out (which I told the stubborn asses to do in the first place, but did they listen???). Anyway, going on 3 weeks w/o my car.... HELP ME PLEASE BEFORE I BLOW IT UP!!! LOL

Old 05-29-2017, 05:20 PM

Nipples break when people lean on them, but can be fixed easily. Rads and nipples do not blow because the car over heats. The fan should work just occasionally when needed or all the time if the air conditioning is running.
Nipple repair CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-29-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bad thermostat ?