Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

auto box problem

Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto box problem

Hi
Hope you can help, just cant seem to crack this problem, intermittent lock in park when starting the car from cold, the usual several starts to get it to release, once the car has been running does not seem to be a problem, or is it that its that cold its frozen
Then found the secret slot for releasing the shift lock
Read up the previous notes from other owners, decided to buy a replacement brake switch, wrong switch delivered, now waiting for another, interesting it has a socket for two connectors but only one is present with only two wires
I expected to find two sets of connectors one for brake lights and one for auto lock

Any suggestions?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: auto box problem

Originally Posted by Motorman
Hi
Hope you can help, just cant seem to crack this problem, intermittent lock in park when starting the car from cold, the usual several starts to get it to release, once the car has been running does not seem to be a problem, or is it that its that cold its frozen
Then found the secret slot for releasing the shift lock
Read up the previous notes from other owners, decided to buy a replacement brake switch, wrong switch delivered, now waiting for another, interesting it has a socket for two connectors but only one is present with only two wires
I expected to find two sets of connectors one for brake lights and one for auto lock

Any suggestions?
Have a look at the solenoid adjustment or operation. Maybe there is a poor connection to the brake switch.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Doc4.pdf (213.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-10-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

when starting the car from cold, the usual several starts to get it to release, once the car has been running does not seem to be a problem, or is it that its that cold its frozen
Dave is probably right, sluggish solenoid. I mean, it's cold nearly everywhere. If this happens on a 95F day, then I'd look elsewhere, but if it is cold-related, I'd think solenoid.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks I solved the problem but though I would post up for reference
I ordered a replacement brake switch from flea bay, duly arrived but not until I was under the dash did I see it was wrong, switch supplied was for four wire set up, so duly returned switch and sourced the other one, arrived installed I didn't expect it to work as it was two wire but hey presto job done.
If I press the brake pedal I can just about hear the click of a relay under the dash so somewhere back up the loom is the park lock wiring so must have been the switch after all

What a pig to fit rolling about under the dash cracked a rib on the door cill as I attemted to extract myself from the ungodly position

Old 01-25-2018, 08:24 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Hi folks I solved the problem but though I would post up for reference
I ordered a replacement brake switch from flea bay, duly arrived but not until I was under the dash did I see it was wrong, switch supplied was for four wire set up, so duly returned switch and sourced the other one, arrived installed I didn't expect it to work as it was two wire but hey presto job done.
If I press the brake pedal I can just about hear the click of a relay under the dash so somewhere back up the loom is the park lock wiring so must have been the switch after all

What a pig to fit rolling about under the dash cracked a rib on the door cill as I attemted to extract myself from the ungodly position
Sorry to hear about the cracked rib, you solved the problem that is the good thing.
Thanks for the reply, too many never bother to give any feedback.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Think one element may be the dash indicator. If it comes up with the "P" when you turn the key on then it is communicating. If not it stays a blob. Second indicator is if you use the manual release and it slips into drive/revese it is talking. If a jerk it isn't. Final clue: if once in drive it shifts through the gears, it is communicating. If stays in 1st, it isn't.

Finally a bad shifter will probably set codes, faulty brake switch may not.

ps if I park with the top down, I put my hat over the shifter to keep water (rain, sprinklers...) out.