Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Cylinder Misfire Help

Old 06-28-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Misfire Help

I have a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. 164K miles on it. Im original owner, had it 14years, drove it through 2 buffalo winters great car. Having an issue I cant figure out. I stored the car and now im trying to get it back up an running.

I am getting misfire cylinder 6. Car has no power and sputtering. I changed out the spark plugs, coill packs, new wires, and just installed new fuel injectors. I have a new MAF sensor and CPS sensor and MAP sensor. I replaced all the vacuum lines with new hose, new battery and new oxygen sensors. I hear some lifter tick back by cylinder 6. Not sure where to go next?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Cylinder Misfire Help

Originally Posted by jamesmonter2
I have a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. 164K miles on it. Im original owner, had it 14years, drove it through 2 buffalo winters great car. Having an issue I cant figure out. I stored the car and now im trying to get it back up an running.

I am getting misfire cylinder 6. Car has no power and sputtering. I changed out the spark plugs, coill packs, new wires, and just installed new fuel injectors. I have a new MAF sensor and CPS sensor and MAP sensor. I replaced all the vacuum lines with new hose, new battery and new oxygen sensors. I hear some lifter tick back by cylinder 6. Not sure where to go next?
Does it sputter straight away after starting or soon after?
Some stored cars have had little rodents build nests and/or store food in the muffler. Worth checking out.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 AM

It sputters right from the beginning. I threw a cylinder 6 misfire check engine code. Has no power. When I changed the spark plugs i saw cylinder 6 plugs we fowled black while all the other plugs we coca brown. I also noticed the #6 injector was fouled when i changed the new one. I will check for a chipmunk nest in the exhaust to see what happens. I will vacuum out with a shop vac. Thanks

Old 06-28-2018, 12:17 PM

Clean out exhaust. Nothing really in there. I am letting the car warm up. When i hit the gas in neutral it stumbles and then revs up slowly. Not the standard rev sound that crossfires make, but a lower tone spattered rumble. I put some rvt around the tops of the new injectors i installed as there was a very small air leak there, fixed that and still the same issue. Still pulling cylinder 6 misfire

Old 06-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to go simple , but recheck coil wires for position an firing of the coil. Swap with another cylinder maybe. Check plugs to make sure of good contract. Check contact to coil pack from harness. I've seen several broken , while being removed...

Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Actually, position of A & B really don't matter that much, as long as that pack is not connected to two different cylinders.
According to all I have read, the electronics fires A slightly before B, then B slightly before A the next time.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Actually, position of A & B really don't matter that much, as long as that pack is not connected to two different cylinders.
According to all I have read, the electronics fires A slightly before B, then B slightly before A the next time.
Must be like the new math they teach, B comes before A wow.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Must be like the new math they teach, B comes before A wow.
We like to do things differently here in the states. You'll get used to it once we annex you.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 PM

I triple checked all the wires. All the wires are brand new. I switched out the new coil with an old coil, same problem. I made sure the boot was seated on the plugs properly as you need to push hard. I disconnected A & B on the pack and re connected to make sure the wire went on the prong. All wires are connected properly. The cars still runs rough. Has no power when you hit the gas, and sounds like it is sucking in air alot when i hit the gas pedal. It takes a few seconds for the car to rev up after i hit the gas, almost like the gas hasnt hit the cylinder yet or too much air? I check the MAF sensor and the elbow under to make sure thats tight, I cant hear any air or vacuum leaks. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you getting a P0306 error ? Any others ?

Old 06-29-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
We like to do things differently here in the states. You'll get used to it once we annex you.
Watch out or we will come down there and set fire to the White House again.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-29-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
Smile Re: Cylinder Misfire Help

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Watch out or we will come down there and set fire to the White House again.
Good one. Maybe you can give a history lesson while you are there.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
Good one. Maybe you can give a history lesson while you are there.
With all that hairspray the place will go up like a Roman candle.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:40 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Check the exhaust like a clogged catalytic converter. Use a vacuum gauge on the engine and see what is happening.

PS Also I found this video using a pressure gauge in an O2 port.

Last edited by James1549; 06-30-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:26 AM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sputters right from the beginning. I threw a cylinder 6 misfire check engine code. Has no power. When I changed the spark plugs i saw cylinder 6 plugs we fowled black while all the other plugs we coca brown. I also noticed the #6 injector was fouled when i changed the new one. I will check for a chipmunk nest in the exhaust to see what happens. I will vacuum out with a shop vac. Thanks
Inspect the coil pack really good where it connect or clip to the wire mt connect was extremely loose causing a misfire so I replaced that coilpack

Old 07-05-2018, 06:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Hate to go simple , but recheck coil wires for position an firing of the coil. Swap with another cylinder maybe. Check plugs to make sure of good contract. Check contact to coil pack from harness. I've seen several broken , while being removed...
your advice is spot on I had a cylinder one misfire I was told i needed a new engine coilpack connector was the issue

Old 07-06-2018, 11:33 PM

It seems, over the years of hot an cold changes, those little clips get brittle. Just an extra hard squeeze , an they snap..glad your back on the road...

Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by blackpepper
Inspect the coil pack really good where it connect or clip to the wire mt connect was extremely loose causing a misfire so I replaced that coilpack
quick way to find secondary ignition leaks. start the engine and look at it in the dark.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:42 PM

I triple checked all the wires. All the wires are brand new. I switched out the new coil with an old coil, same problem. I made sure the boot was seated on the plugs properly as you need to push hard. I disconnected A & B on the pack and re connected to make sure the wire went on the prong. All wires are connected properly. The cars still runs rough. Has no power when you hit the gas, and sounds like it is sucking in air alot when i hit the gas pedal. It takes a few seconds for the car to rev up after i hit the gas, almost like the gas hasnt hit the cylinder yet or too much air? I check the MAF sensor and the elbow under to make sure thats tight, I cant hear any air or vacuum leaks. Any other suggestions?
Switch #2 coil pack connector with #6

Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Ok So I check the coil packs and wires all look good. They are all brand new, new wires,coils and spark plugs.

I cut the flange right behind the second set of cats and took the entire muffler and pipe off of the car. I cut muffler open, nothing inside, no chipmunk nests ect. I have the exhaust off up to the cats, no plugs, looked inside the cats and the screen looks ok, not plugged.

I cleaned the metal flap by the air intake with carb cleaner and wiped clean.

I put Lucas Oil injector clean in the gas

I put a bottle of Rislone in oil to remove any engine gunk or lifter chatter. I have no lifter chatter or knocking.

I scanned the computer and get codes:
P0206 - Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 6

P0412 - Secondary Air Injection system switching Valve A Circuit
P0403 - Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Control Circuit
P0155 - 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

There is no power when i hit the gas. In drive when i depress gas pedal fast the car takes a few seconds to get up to speed. Slow take off.

Sounds like the car is sucking in air by the MAF sensor first before the car starts moving. I can hear air sucking when i hit the gas and then the car slowly gets up to speed.

Any thoughts. This one is puzzling me. Also Note I changed all fuel injectors, all are new. MAF sensor new, ECU new, and programmed properly, New CPS sensor.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Misfire Help