Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Possible Water Pump Replacement

Old 02-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Water Pump Replacement

Long-time lurker of these forums. I have had an issue with my xf recently. It all started with a grindy sound coming from the engine. After inspection, there weren't any issues directly looking at the engine, so I continued. A few months later, the serpentine belt shreds on the interstate, so I replace it on the spot. That was 3 weeks ago. The water pump pulley now has a very distinct wobble to it and the previous grinding sound seems to be coming from this area (the water pump?). I just got back from a 45 mile trip and the engine light comes on. After examining the engine, there is quite a bit of coolant splashed around under the hood, mostly under the reservoir and near the water pump. Putting the pieces together, it seems the problem is 110% the water pump or pulley bearings. What are your thoughts on what I have presented? Should I go ahead and replace the whole water pump, or bank on it being a bearing and just replace that? I am quite new to self-service, so any help is appreciated. I can provide a recording of what it looks/sounds like as well if that would help.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:45 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Possible Water Pump Replacement

Recording not necessary, replace the pump NOW.
You should have done so when you first saw the wobble.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:50 PM
Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Don’t mess with any bearings. It’s just not worth it

water pumps are cheap and it’s an easy change up. A seized engine due to excessive heat is going to chew up a whole lot more money and time.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:41 PM
Received 371 Likes on 323 Posts

Water pump, probability @ 99.999%. When you replace, be CERTAIN to follow the hints from those who have done the replacement in the past. TRACK EVERY BOLT using a template, as you remove put bolt in template continuing on until pump is out. Then, put new pump in following the correct bolt in correct hole. The bolts are of differing lengths, so take the advice of those past, and be careful. I am sure you know this but just in case.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:14 PM

Yessir! I have read up through these forums about past water pump changes and the key points of changing them. Just double checking with the gurus here before I go digging under the hood thanks fellas and drive safe!

Old 02-14-2020, 03:09 AM

I replaced my pump before. Do not overtighten the bolts! They snap EASILY

Last edited by Cotyt94; 02-14-2020 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-14-2020, 09:43 AM
Received 537 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotyt94
I replaced my pump before. Do not overtighten the bolts! They snap EASILY
They should not snap if you torque them correctly.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
They should not snap if you torque them correctly.
yeah thats true but if your not familiar with the torque units they snap easily

Old 02-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I changed mine in the parking lot of a hotel.
1 week after I had a local shop do a complete inspection.

water pumps are easy.
Most water pumps for our engine do bit have the hole tapped for the idler pulley (nothing that is it, but they are drilled for correct size and the bolt taken out is a thread cutting bolt, going easy it will cut threads as it goes and stay thight.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:13 AM
Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

If you’re going to do ANY engine work

BUY A GOOD TOUQUE WRENCH
ft/lbs
and
A smaller one in, inch pounds of the smaller areas

Old 02-16-2020, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by levalkyr
Long-time lurker of these forums. I have had an issue with my xf recently. It all started with a grindy sound coming from the engine. After inspection, there weren't any issues directly looking at the engine, so I continued. A few months later, the serpentine belt shreds on the interstate, so I replace it on the spot. That was 3 weeks ago. The water pump pulley now has a very distinct wobble to it and the previous grinding sound seems to be coming from this area (the water pump?). I just got back from a 45 mile trip and the engine light comes on. After examining the engine, there is quite a bit of coolant splashed around under the hood, mostly under the reservoir and near the water pump. Putting the pieces together, it seems the problem is 110% the water pump or pulley bearings. What are your thoughts on what I have presented? Should I go ahead and replace the whole water pump, or bank on it being a bearing and just replace that? I am quite new to self-service, so any help is appreciated. I can provide a recording of what it looks/sounds like as well if that would help.
i just remembered something from my water pump replacement expérience. I bought a replacement pump from rockauto.... The GASKET it came with was GARBAGE. if you go that route buy a gasket from an auto parts store. I had autozone order me one for ten bux.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:28 AM

i just remembered something from my water pump replacement expérience. I bought a replacement pump from rockauto.... The GASKET it came with was GARBAGE. if you go that route buy a gasket from an auto parts store. I had autozone order me one for ten bux.
There are two types of gasket that comes with some pumps, a flat one and one that sits in a groove. I do not know the specifics though,some pump photos show both.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:29 AM

There are two types of gasket that comes with some pumps, a flat one and one that sits in a groove. I do not know the specifics though, some pump photos show both.