CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/)
-   -   Driveshaft length (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/78954-driveshaft-length.html)

loggato 09-15-2018 10:02 AM

Driveshaft length
 
Does someone have a driveshaft they can measure from flange to flange?

I would like to compare it to a couple of Mercedes SLK driveshafts that I have laying around.

thank you

amx1397 09-15-2018 10:15 AM

Re: Driveshaft length
 

Originally Posted by loggato (Post 912170)
Does someone have a driveshaft they can measure from flange to flange?

I would like to compare it to a couple of Mercedes SLK driveshafts that I have laying around.

thank you

been there done that, none fit. the short section on some are the same but out of balance.
if you look where two halfs join (slip) you will see two notches on one half ,,, and one notch on the other ,,they need to line up when the driveshaft goes together for balance. do a search on driveshaft


loggato 09-15-2018 10:29 AM

Re: Driveshaft length
 
Ok let me be more specific. I've swapped a 4.3L M113 V8 into my SLK230. the stock 230 driveshaft puts the engine too far back in the engine bay and there is no room for the throttle body tube or exhaust. now when I put the 6 speed manual from a crossfire in it (with accompanying driveshaft), it puts the engine where it should be. (basing this on comparing to pictures)

But now I am putting an AMG 5.5L in it, and going back to Auto, but I need to know if the Crossfire has a longer (automatic) driveshaft than the SLK230. my guess is it's about 2" longer but need to be sure before buying one.

amx1397 09-15-2018 01:51 PM

Re: Driveshaft length
 

Originally Posted by loggato (Post 912172)
Ok let me be more specific. I've swapped a 4.3L M113 V8 into my SLK230. the stock 230 driveshaft puts the engine too far back in the engine bay and there is no room for the throttle body tube or exhaust. now when I put the 6 speed manual from a crossfire in it (with accompanying driveshaft), it puts the engine where it should be. (basing this on comparing to pictures)
But now I am putting an AMG 5.5L in it, and going back to Auto, but I need to know if the Crossfire has a longer (automatic) driveshaft than the SLK230. my guess is it's about 2" longer but need to be sure before buying one.

with my 5.4 using the V 8 , the transmission mount fit in stock location ,so did the drive shaft ,, i would say if your slk230 was auto and now u are using a 5.4 with its tranny bolted to it the stock drive shaft should fit my stock drive shaft lasted 4 years with 300 runs down the 1/4 mile running in the 10's ,with over 600 hp so yea use it.

loggato 09-15-2018 04:08 PM

Re: Driveshaft length
 

Originally Posted by amx1397 (Post 912188)
with my 5.4 using the V 8 , the transmission mount fit in stock location ,so did the drive shaft ,, i would say if your slk230 was auto and now u are using a 5.4 with its tranny bolted to it the stock drive shaft should fit my stock drive shaft lasted 4 years with 300 runs down the 1/4 mile running in the 10's ,with over 600 hp so yea use it.

That's just it, the Crossfire driveshaft would put the V8 in the correct location because Mercedes redid a couple of things after 2001 to accommodate the V6. my SLK is a pre-2001 and the V8 was a couple of inches farther back because of how the 4 cylinder was positioned.

I just need to make sure that the Crossfire driveshaft is indeed 2" longer than my SLK230 shaft.

amx1397 09-15-2018 08:16 PM

Re: Driveshaft length
 

Originally Posted by loggato (Post 912196)
That's just it, the Crossfire driveshaft would put the V8 in the correct location because Mercedes redid a couple of things after 2001 to accommodate the V6. my SLK is a pre-2001 and the V8 was a couple of inches farther back because of how the 4 cylinder was positioned.

I just need to make sure that the Crossfire driveshaft is indeed 2" longer than my SLK230 shaft.

I am in the mountains of Ga,,, for the tail of the dragon, so i can't measure it for you. make sure your center bearing hanger fits or u can move it to fit.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands