Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Strange transmission issue

Old 01-01-2019, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange transmission issue

Normally my 2004 Crossfire would be in storage right now but I could not find a nearby storage unit the right size so looks like it's staying out this year.

It was a pretty mild day here in Cincinnati so I tried to take it for a spin. Here's what happened:

Seemed to go into reverse just fine and I backed out. Put it in drive and noticed it was in limp mode. Then I noticed the dash gear indicator still said R with the shifter in D. Was still in my neighborhood so I pulled over and tried to put it in Park..it would only go into N and D with the engine running. I turned the car off and was immediately able to put it back into Park. Started the car again and was able to to go back into D still in limp mode. Fortunately I was able to get back into my driveway but once there I again could not put it back in Park until I turned the car off.

Any obvious thoughts? There are no codes being tripped and no fault lights on.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Strange transmission issue

Originally Posted by sirharper
Normally my 2004 Crossfire would be in storage right now but I could not find a nearby storage unit the right size so looks like it's staying out this year.

It was a pretty mild day here in Cincinnati so I tried to take it for a spin. Here's what happened:

Seemed to go into reverse just fine and I backed out. Put it in drive and noticed it was in limp mode. Then I noticed the dash gear indicator still said R with the shifter in D. Was still in my neighborhood so I pulled over and tried to put it in Park..it would only go into N and D with the engine running. I turned the car off and was immediately able to put it back into Park. Started the car again and was able to to go back into D still in limp mode. Fortunately I was able to get back into my driveway but once there I again could not put it back in Park until I turned the car off.

Any obvious thoughts? There are no codes being tripped and no fault lights on.
I had to limp mode on the same basic tranny in a 300 and it was a sticky solenoid in the tranny electrical plate. Limp mode uses 2nd gear only if I recall correctly.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? I know it might seem excessive but it is supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles. I made the mistake of not changing it well beyond that interval and my transmission started doing weird things.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by David M
Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? I know it might seem excessive but it is supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles. I made the mistake of not changing it well beyond that interval and my transmission started doing weird things.
The Owners Manual says you should change the tranny fluid at 80,000 miles, which is a much too excessive mileage for sure but 30,000 is too little I would say. Maybe 40 to 50,000 unless you have had trouble with worn mechanical parts in the tranny, or the oil looks burnt.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

The Owners Manual says you should change the tranny fluid at 80,000 miles, which is a much too excessive mileage for sure but 30,000 is too little I would say. Maybe 40 to 50,000 unless you have had trouble with worn mechanical parts in the tranny, or the oil looks burnt.
I did it at 50,000 along with a new conductor plate and Pentosin tranny fluid

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by ala_xfire; 01-03-2019 at 04:05 PM.