Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Carlsson Compressor Kit

Old 09-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Carlsson Compressor Kit

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!

Finally after nearly two years of research and bugging the **** out of the engineers... I think we finally have a S/C kit... My race mechanic just got back from Germany and watched the Carlsson engineers bolt on a new supercharger kit onto a Crossfire...

He's delivering the info, specs and pictures next week... He assures me that the kit is easy enough for the backyard mechanic to bolt on in a day... Specs (don't hold me to this yet) 295 hp without mods to any other internal engine components... Has its own electric pump intercooler w/tank and will fit under the hood of the car without moving too much stuff around...

NO, I do not have a price yet...

http://www.carlsson.de

Old 09-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Carlsson Compressor Kit

You should already have an option with the Kleeman. I am willing to bet the prices will be close.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool stuff PLEASE keep us informed!

Old 09-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Epyon

sweet, just need a price.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:12 PM

At some point, doesn't it make more sense to just buy an SRT-6 to start with? You get more HP and still have the warranty intact.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Woodlands
At some point, doesn't it make more sense to just buy an SRT-6 to start with? You get more HP and still have the warranty intact.
somewhat, but the main argument is that the srt6 is auto only so...

Old 09-17-2005, 11:12 PM

Obviously you are not into SCCA national racing... Let me explain...

There are specific categories that production vehicle are placed into for classification within the SCCA that are based on some weird rules...

The Crossfire SRT6 is now in "A Stock Class" along with the following cars: Acura NSX, Audi S4 V8, BMW MCoupe & Roadster, Z4, Cadillac CTS-V, Camaro SS, DeTomaso Mangusta, Mustang Cobra SVT, Honda S2000, Jaguar XKR Coupe,
Maserati Gran Sport / Spyder, Mercedes E55 AMG / SLK55 / CLK55, Mitsubishi Evolution RS, Firebird WS6, Porsche 911 (non turbo) / Boxter (non-S), Saleen Mustang, Shelby Cobra, Subaru WRX Sti, Toyota Supra Turbo...

A Crossfire SRT6 has an automatic transmission and has very few engineering options to improve it's performance without swapping engines and transmissions... And even if you did change the tranny to manual, I doubt you could compete with some of those cars...

NOW...

The SCCA has classified the standard Crossfire with the following cars in "D Stock": Integra Type R, Audi S4, Cadillac CTS, Cobalt SS, Prelude, G35 Sedan, Jaguar X type, Lexus IS300, Mazdaspeed Protege, MB C320, Eclipse / Talon Turbo, Maxima, ETC...

I like to win races... So, read though this again and tell me what is the answer to your question?

Why modify a standard Crossfire? Well I would rather have the fastest car in my class and come home with trophies, than buy a SRT6 with an automatic tranny... With modifications, the standard Crossfire now drops into "DS Modified Class" and gets a few second ding... But I will still walk away the victor on every weekend...

Old 09-17-2005, 11:31 PM

well i got my 04' new for 23K that is one good reason to improve it instead of buying the srt6 with the funky wing...

Old 09-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woodland,

You are correct...that is the way to go if your not worried about SCCA classes, which judging from the people on this board that are into this, are very few...
Just as people are getting some great deals on base crossfires the same can be said about '05 SRT-6's sitting on the dealers lot.

HDDP,
I have no desire to rehash old topics but look at Evosport's, Kleemann's, Renntech's websites. Item for item (excluding complete engine/tranny changeouts) my engine has more aftermarket options available for it compared to yours.
Since prices for many upgrades that would work for both (i.e. headers, intake, etc) are close for either model, the SRT will always produce more h.p. just based on the fact mine starts out with more given the same budget amount.

Scott1981,

That idea is from 1981. Since the SRT's tranny is from AMG it's designed to provide close to optimal shift points and for the most part does a decent job of it. As I posted in a past thread the times for the SLK's (stick vs. auto with the same engine size) 0-60 times are something to the effect of .1 to .2 sec's apart (with professional drivers). I also would enjoy shifting the gears myself if I had the choice but since the gain from doing this is so small from our M.B. trannies...the fact the SRT comes only in an auto-stick is a very minor detail in the overall big picture.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:42 AM
Epyon

so said the man with the SRT-6.

guess where his preference is?

Old 09-18-2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by respdoc

Scott1981,

That idea is from 1981. Since the SRT's tranny is from AMG it's designed to provide close to optimal shift points and for the most part does a decent job of it. As I posted in a past thread the times for the SLK's (stick vs. auto with the same engine size) 0-60 times are something to the effect of .1 to .2 sec's apart (with professional drivers). I also would enjoy shifting the gears myself if I had the choice but since the gain from doing this is so small from our M.B. trannies...the fact the SRT comes only in an auto-stick is a very minor detail in the overall big picture.
i actually have an auto. i was just saying that some people only want manuals, and thus would be a good option. also there are some that don't care for some of the styling of the srt6.

Old 09-18-2005, 12:56 PM

changing gear ratio would also be an advantage of a manual.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by roms33
changing gear ratio would also be an advantage of a manual.
True but I have not had luck finding gears aside from having some made for well over $2,000.
Great in theory but not in practice at this point. If you have some info we don't please share. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Epyon

You da man HDDP!

a SRT-6 could never take down the Stock A cars, NSX would tear it a new one.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:10 PM

And of course the '06 Z06 will tear the NSX a new one also.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Epyon
sweet, just need a price.
Originally Posted by Epyon
so said the man with the SRT-6.
do you even own a crossfire?

Old 09-18-2005, 07:26 PM

HDDP...I assume that if you are in a class with the CTS...you don't mean the CTS "V"?

Old 09-18-2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by respdoc
Woodland,

You are correct...that is the way to go if your not worried about SCCA classes, which judging from the people on this board that are into this, are very few...
Just as people are getting some great deals on base crossfires the same can be said about '05 SRT-6's sitting on the dealers lot.

HDDP,
I have no desire to rehash old topics but look at Evosport's, Kleemann's, Renntech's websites. Item for item (excluding complete engine/tranny changeouts) my engine has more aftermarket options available for it compared to yours.
Since prices for many upgrades that would work for both (i.e. headers, intake, etc) are close for either model, the SRT will always produce more h.p. just based on the fact mine starts out with more given the same budget amount.

Scott1981,

You just don't get it... Seems to me that you have a short sighted look at things, why are you pissing about your 330 hp SRT6 being more powerful when the speed limits on the street prevent you from enjoying that extra power?... Yes the SRT6 is more powerful... It is also classed in SCCA A Stock with cars you will NEVER beat on the track... I could go buy a SRT6 in a heartbeat, as a matter of fact I ordered one a year after I took delivery of my car... When it arrived, I test drove it and wasn't all that impressed and hated the wing, and auto and told the dealer I didn't want it...

I'm not going to get into some lame "my di*k's bigger than yours" discussion with someone who drives their car to and from work... Get some track time in your SCCA class, get your *** whipped by the cars grouped with the SRT6, then come back and talk to me about the difference between the two vehicles...

Here's the class list...
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2005/stockc.html

My race mechanic has offered to drop an entire SRT6 engine into my car for $12,000 not including labor, but then I would end-up in A Stock Class instead of D Class Modified with the addition of the mods on my car...

I don't know where your priorities are, but mine are to make the SCCA Nationals next year and have the first Crossfire compete in the event... Perhaps even win its class...

I'm not interested in the bragging rights that I blew some kid off the road while driving to work... If that was the case I would take my 600 hp 1999 S351 Saleen Mustang out of storage and drive it to work every day... "Look, My Di*k's Bigger Than Yours"... Not my style dude!!!

Do me a favor... Don't respond to any of my posts... You're a NEWBIE on this forum and probably have never been on a track in your life... Grab your AMBU BAG and take a few deep breaths... Tell me what part of the country you are in, I'll find a road course in your vicinity, drive there and buy the track for the day and challenge you to PINK SLIPS... Drop me an e-mail derek@hollywooddigitalimaging.com

Last edited by HDDP; 09-18-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:12 PM

i like that point of view. i had a camaro that ran 10.9's and sat in the driveway all winter and i drove around a 89' z that looked like sh*t. most people can race from red light to red light but can't drive in traffic or on a course. i have a friend who goes to the srt nations and destroys vipers on the track in his srt4 with stage 3 and cams and bigger intercooler. i mean yeah, we can spend the money for a $120,000 nsx but why when you can buy a sh*ty car mod it and blow the doors off of that type of car for alot less money. i would blow vettes out all day. i had a car that cost $3,500 dollars starting, i mean i dumped 10 into it but heck its better then spending hum 95k for a viper. then you see a person with a 120 dollar car alot of times and it has dents in it. hum must be the driver ain't the cars fault.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Epyon

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
do you even own a crossfire?
you doubt me?

check the gallery, thankfully i got rid of it.

Quick Reply: Carlsson Compressor Kit