CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/)
-   -   Lower valve cover leak (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/86419-lower-valve-cover-leak.html)

jtammel 09-21-2023 06:33 AM

Lower valve cover leak

Anyone has good suggestions how to make lower valve covers not leaking? I have already re-sealed upper breather covers and they are perfect. I also changed lower valve cover gaskets with OEM gaskets some 4 month ago but I can already see and smell leaking.

Is there any other option than to purchase a new set of OEM gaskets and re-install with crossed fingers ?

thanks

NeedsWings 09-21-2023 09:13 AM

Re: Lower valve cover leak

fresh set of OEM gaskets and make sure they are not twisted

ZERACER 09-21-2023 09:13 AM

The gasket was probably not completely seated when being reinstalled.

dcskmail 09-21-2023 10:06 AM

Check the torque 7ftlbs

pizzaguy 09-21-2023 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by jtammel (Post 983162)
Anyone has good suggestions how to make lower valve covers not leaking? I have already re-sealed upper breather covers and they are perfect. I also changed lower valve cover gaskets with OEM gaskets some 4 month ago but I can already see and smell leaking.

Is there any other option than to purchase a new set of OEM gaskets and re-install with crossed fingers ?

thanks

All I can say, is that I ordered the kit from Needswings when I fixed my leaking breathers. I took both valve and breather covers off the car, separated them, cleaned them extensively, let them dry overnight, then put on new gaskets and NEW BOLTS as well as using Max's technique in application of RTV. This was in 2016. No leaking even now, seven years later.

Total time: probably close to six-seven hours not counting drying time. I took my time, quick fixes don't last.

jtammel 09-21-2023 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings (Post 983163)
fresh set of OEM gaskets and make sure they are not twisted

When I re-did the lower valve cover gaskets, I took extra time to clean everything and make sure they were seated.
But it could be that during install process itself gaskets were loosened and that might be culprit.

jtammel 09-21-2023 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 983167)
All I can say, is that I ordered the kit from Needswings when I fixed my leaking breathers. I took both valve and breather covers off the car, separated them, cleaned them extensively, let them dry overnight, then put on new gaskets and NEW BOLTS as well as using Max's technique in application of RTV. This was in 2016. No leaking even now, seven years later.

Total time: probably close to six-seven hours not counting drying time. I took my time, quick fixes don't last.

Breather covers are dry. I did basically how you described, let the RTV sealant sit for a while before installing the breathers and used new bolts. I guess that is why the breathers are dry.

Lower ones with the factory gasket is the issue.

jtammel 09-21-2023 02:27 PM

By the way, are you supposed to use sealant also to those breather vents where hose is connected? Becouse when I disassembled everything it looked like the hose side connection end had dried sealant on the grooves but I was not sure.

pizzaguy 09-21-2023 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jtammel (Post 983172)
By the way, are you supposed to use sealant also to those breather vents where hose is connected? Becouse when I disassembled everything it looked like the hose side connection end had dried sealant on the grooves but I was not sure.

I do not see the need, if the clamps are new. I think I remember seeing that as well, (it's been seven years) and I cleaned it off the cover, making sure my new clamps were tight - and yes, I put new clamps on.

Now, as to the valve covers, I have heard of some guys going back in six months and finding the bolts were loose and setting them to 5-7 lbs and things being OK after that.

jtammel 09-21-2023 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 983176)
I do not see the need, if the clamps are new. I think I remember seeing that as well, (it's been seven years) and I cleaned it off the cover, making sure my new clamps were tight - and yes, I put new clamps on.

Now, as to the valve covers, I have heard of some guys going back in six months and finding the bolts were loose and setting them to 5-7 lbs and things being OK after that.

Umm.. clamps? Because my hoses do not have any clamps on breather cover end. That might be the culprit for oil smell as well.
Also I need to check the torque on the bolts.

pizzaguy 09-21-2023 03:40 PM

Mine had no clamps either, they did once I was finished. :)

jtammel 09-21-2023 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 983178)
Mine had no clamps either, they did once I was finished. :)

Ok gotcha