Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Front License Plate Mounting.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Front License Plate Mounting.

I'm thinking about getting those hide away plates for driving.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

No matter how ya mount a plate on a Crossfire it still looks bad and ruins the sleek lines of these fine cars.

I just had to say that.

The following users liked this post:
jefecito (10-11-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 07:55 PM

Does anyone have any current info on a license plate bracket without drilling holes in the front bumper?

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:51 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Modowk
Does anyone have any current info on a license plate bracket without drilling holes in the front bumper?

Thanks.
There a couple that mount underneath the bumper and are practically unseen until turn on the ignition and they pop out and up.
They are mentioned on the forum here a few times.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:31 PM

Yes, I went to the web site and they run about $350 or so, a wee bit more than I wanted to pay.

Thank you for the reply.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:33 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Thia has been brought up quite a few times in the forum. I am guessing your state requires 2 plates, and in that case, you are extremely limited in what you can do. Those ones that 'pop' up after starting the car, IMHO asking for trouble not only because they could 'fail' but in slushy-winter driving they could (and probably would) freeze in the tucked position (you are listed in Michigan). I was going to suggest high density industrial magnets behind the facia with a steel plate with the license plate mounted to it (or) second set of magnets on the license plate BUT you might just destroy the paint on the facia anyway (supposing access to 'place' said magnets if even available). So, your options are extremely limited sans drilling the two holes in the facia and mounting the plate holder. One last note, the two 'dots' on the facia, make sure they are 'centered', mine are slightly off and no one wants a crooked front plate. Good thing SC doesn't require a front plate (which is why I am keeping my front plate holder, who knows if or when a move is necessary). Good luck!

Old 07-04-2022, 01:01 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm surprised no one has printed the stock license holder. They get damaged quite a bit.

Old 07-04-2022, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

Thia has been brought up quite a few times in the forum. I am guessing your state requires 2 plates, and in that case, you are extremely limited in what you can do. Those ones that 'pop' up after starting the car, IMHO asking for trouble not only because they could 'fail' but in slushy-winter driving they could (and probably would) freeze in the tucked position (you are listed in Michigan). I was going to suggest high density industrial magnets behind the facia with a steel plate with the license plate mounted to it (or) second set of magnets on the license plate BUT you might just destroy the paint on the facia anyway (supposing access to 'place' said magnets if even available). So, your options are extremely limited sans drilling the two holes in the facia and mounting the plate holder. One last note, the two 'dots' on the facia, make sure they are 'centered', mine are slightly off and no one wants a crooked front plate. Good thing SC doesn't require a front plate (which is why I am keeping my front plate holder, who knows if or when a move is necessary). Good luck!

Thank you. Yes, 2 plates. Skene is shut down until August when they will return. Thank you for the info.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:33 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

The one I've seen that looks promising for a front license plate bracket is this one: CLICK. At least it can be removed (if desired for a car show) using a key to unlock it from the mount below the bumper.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:44 PM

I've actually seen a Crossfire with the Undermount bracket installed & it looked good. But I've never been able to locate a supplier for the bracket.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
The one I've seen that looks promising for a front license plate bracket is this one: CLICK. At least it can be removed (if desired for a car show) using a key to unlock it from the mount below the bumper.

The website has nothing listed for the 04-08 Crossfire (nor SLK-320/AMG-32 if possible). The pictures (and second post) might give an idea for a DIY made alternate, but it would have to be customized (& it looks like it'll be resulting in drilling holes in the facia bumper anyway. How heavy is it, will it sag/delaminate the paint where drilled)? IMHO it MIGHT mean drilling the facia holes where they are, anyway?

Old 07-07-2022, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
The website has nothing listed for the 04-08 Crossfire (nor SLK-320/AMG-32 if possible). The pictures (and second post) might give an idea for a DIY made alternate, but it would have to be customized (& it looks like it'll be resulting in drilling holes in the facia bumper anyway. How heavy is it, will it sag/delaminate the paint where drilled)? IMHO it MIGHT mean drilling the facia holes where they are, anyway?
If it were me looking to purchase one of the STO-N-SHO brackets, I would get the one for the 2004 M-B SL500.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
If it were me looking to purchase one of the STO-N-SHO brackets, I would get the one for the 2004 M-B SL500.

Do you know for sure this one would fit a crossfire? Even then, in SC that plate isn't issued, only the rear (they do not issue two). You wouldn't need to have any kind of front plate unless you wanted a 'gizmo' with some kind of vanity or expressive front plate, right? Those with a requirement of a front plate (issued by a DMV), would have to either drill the holes or pay for something like this IF IT FITS the facia.