Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HID Install Lows and Fogs with Pictures

Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default re: HID Install Lows and Fogs with Pictures

Originally Posted by Forza1
OK, maybe I'm daft, but I'm having a hard time with these two steps:

Removal of old bulbs
  1. First, and some find difficult, is pulling the connector from the back of the bulbs. If you look closely, you will see an "H" shaped area. I used a medium sized 45 deg bent-nosed needle pliers to grab the center of this "H" and pulled straight back with a little rocking action. DO NOT TWIST! DO NOT PULL ON THE WIRES! It comes off, but can fight a little.
  2. Next, undoing the bulb retaining clips is for some a bit baffling. On the low beams, the clip clamps at the bottom and swings UP. Press the very bottom of the clip and push to the side to unhook it from the retainer. Remove the bulb. Repeat for other side.
What are you talking about removing the connector? I have two wires that appear to have spade connectors into the back of an H7 bulb. Are they going into the connector?

For step two, I can unhook the clip OK, but how do I removed the bulb? Does it go through the clip? Or does the connector first have to be removed(step 1) to get the bulb out?
Are you saying that you have two loose wires attached with crimp-on spade connectors attached directly to the back of the bulb? That doesn't sound right. Open up the caps on the other lights. Are they the same?

(A) You have to remove the connector from the back of the old, halogen bulbs. That plug is the source of your 12VDC for the 2 new spade connectors to plug into. Red (+) goes to the single black wire in the connector and the black (-) goes to the double black wire in the connector.

(B) After you have removed the connector from the back of the old, halogen bulb, you unhook the clip and swing it completely out of the way. At this time, the bulb should nearly fall out of it's socket.
The new HID bulbs, with their attached wires are now installed. I found it easiest to thread the wires through the clips first. Then seat the bulb.

Last edited by maxcichon; 02-10-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon

(A) You have to remove the connector from the back of the old, halogen bulbs. That plug is the source of your 12VDC for the 2 new spade connectors to plug into. Red (+) goes to the single black wire in the connector and the black (-) goes to the double black wire in the connector.

(B) After you have removed the connector from the back of the old, halogen bulb, you unhook the clip and swing it completely out of the way. At this time, the bulb should nearly fall out of it's socket.
The new HID bulbs, with their attached wires are now installed. I found it easiest to thread the wires through the clips first. Then seat the bulb.

Damn you Max, your thread gets a sticky but mine doesn't! We shall fight to the death over this!

Sorry for the thread jacking!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Wink re: HID Install Lows and Fogs with Pictures

For once, true genious is recognized!

I only did mine after reading yours. I used to write technical manuals (years ago) and have a user's-eye view as to how to explain things. Hell, I used yours as a loose guide as I was installing mine!

And judging by this last post, I guess I'm not very good at 'splaining anymore!

And as for the duel, belly up to the bar, sonny. I'll even let you choose weapons. As long as it is single malt.

Last edited by maxcichon; 05-24-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got them in today. My problem was the connector on the back of the bulb, it was really stuck on there...

Also, my suggestion is to completely remove the springs that hold the bulbs in, and reinstall them when you put the HID bulb in. This is because passing the HID bulbs through the spring while still attached is very difficult and can damage your HID bulb if you are not VERY careful.

I went with a 55w 6000k HID system. I'm hoping the 55w will be even brighter(I've heard 20%) than the standard 35w kits. Now if the sun would just go down...

Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Question re: HID Install Lows and Fogs with Pictures

Originally Posted by Forza1
Got them in today. My problem was the connector on the back of the bulb, it was really stuck on there...

Also, my suggestion is to completely remove the springs that hold the bulbs in, and reinstall them when you put the HID bulb in. This is because passing the HID bulbs through the spring while still attached is very difficult and can damage your HID bulb if you are not VERY careful.

I went with a 55w 6000k HID system. I'm hoping the 55w will be even brighter(I've heard 20%) than the standard 35w kits. Now if the sun would just go down...
OK, I have to ask:

Why wouldn't you pass the 2 connectors, instead of the bulb, through the spring clip? They are smaller. Usually.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
For once, true genious is recognized!

I only did mine after reading yours. I used to write technical manuals (years ago) and have a users-eye view as to how to explain things. Hell, I used yours as a loose guide as I was installing mine!

And judging by this last post, I guess I'm not very good at 'splaining anymore!

And as for the duel, belly up to the bar, sonny. I'll even let you choose weapons. As long as it is single malt.
The genius idea's always get stolen!

Just ask anyone with an Audi.. after they look at my headlights they sure are going to be mad

(Talking about the LED's in them, of course. Pics coming but man they sure do look badass!)

BACK ON TOPIC:

Why the hell (pardon the language) would you put THE BULB through the spring clip? And if you're goign to remove the spring clip you may as well save yourself the trouble and just remove the whole damn headlight.

You onl yneed to pass through the connectors/wires.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by nox1s
The genius idea's always get stolen!

Just ask anyone with an Audi.. after they look at my headlights they sure are going to be mad

(Talking about the LED's in them, of course. Pics coming but man they sure do look badass!)

BACK ON TOPIC:

Why the hell (pardon the language) would you put THE BULB through the spring clip? And if you're goign to remove the spring clip you may as well save yourself the trouble and just remove the whole damn headlight.

You onl yneed to pass through the connectors/wires.
That, I wanna' see.

I have been toying with the concept of fiber optics. They're easy to work with, cheap and durable. One central light source, any color and dimmable. Lots of ideas/applications there...

Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I installed some 5000k HIDs that I received from the Ebay vendor linked on the first page.

Installation was relatively smooth but made me wish it was as easy to change bulbs in the Crossfire as it is in my Accord.

I also did not have to move the overflow tank, although it would have made it easier.

Great write-up! Definitely helped me get the job done.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Alright, now I'm confused.

When my headlights are not on, my 'bulb out' indicator light comes on, but when I turn the headlights on, the indicator light goes out.

What the crap? I checked the wiring and all seems fine. Any ideas?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Pemanently?
Mine will turn on briefly (a few seconds) when the lights are turned off.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM

Mmm, mine is definitely more than a few seconds.. It didn't go away after at least a minute..

Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Yeah, mine does the same thing. When they are on, no indicator. If you turn them OFF, the bulb out indicator lights up. I don't understand it, but now I just shut off the ignition first if anyone is looking. It's a bit wierd, but I don't give a hoot.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 PM

maxcichon:

Did you have any issues with one bulb having more of a blue/purple tint around the edge of the beam than another? I'm not sure if perhaps one of my bulbs is a bit dirty or something, or if it's just plain defective, but the bulb I have installed in the driver's side has more of a blue/purple tint to the edge of the light than the other. Using a 5000k kit...

Old 03-06-2009, 06:13 AM

No. And I've looked at these things VERY closely. I would have the vendor replace both of them.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 AM

Mine did the same thing but it kept popping the fuse. Turned out that the driver side bulb was burning out. It was very purple compared to the blue one on passenger side. Got new bulbs and problem fixed.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ///SilverSaphRT6
Mine did the same thing but it kept popping the fuse. Turned out that the driver side bulb was burning out. It was very purple compared to the blue one on passenger side. Got new bulbs and problem fixed.
Good catch!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 454 Likes on 320 Posts

My friend Max (maxcichon) installed my HID headlights at the BBQ Saturday night at the Dragon
Thanks Max !!

Max recommended this ebay seller hidgate for purchase of our HID lights.
This ebay seller worked well for several here.....

See: Great Outdoors Equipment Ebay Store

Last edited by Valk; 05-25-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Wink re: HID Install Lows and Fogs with Pictures

My pleasure, Valk! The least I could do for all of YOUR hard work.

And, of course, the bribe!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 AM

How does the beam pattern work out on these conversions? I have read many times that putting HID bulbs into housings designed for halogen bulbs causes glare to oncoming drivers.

I have a Pacifica with the halogen projector setup that I am thinking of doing the HID conversion to. And once I get a Xfire, I'll do it to it also.

Thanks,

Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 AM

They work just fine. No problems for oncoming traffic, and a perfect cutoff line.

Quick Reply: HID Install Lows and Fogs with Pictures