Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Rocker Panel Removal and Detail.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Rocker Panel Removal and Detail.

After a wash, and a polish I reinstalled the rocker panel. I had to buy three new clips to replace the broken ones, rather than have to order three more when I did the other side, I purchased six clips. That was a smart move as I had to remove the panel again to put the seal that goes against the door sill on the correct way up, this resulted in three more clips being broken. I think I rotated the panel too far clearing the fixed screws that locate the pucks.
There is a rubber seal that is in front of the door between the fender and the body of the car. I poked my finger behind it and there was a lot of debris, small twigs, leaves and dirt. my car does not stay out in the open too much so anyone whose car is outside would be well advised to clean this area out with a hose to prevent rust being cause by this debris.
Anyone thinking of taking off a rocker panel and expecting to put it back the same day should get spare clips. The part number is 5101311AA (Mercedes #A 170 988 08 78) , they are available singly or in packs of five, mine were $4.00 net (list price $4.85) each.
With no clips as spares I doubt I will be taking the other side off any time soon as they were not really dirty inside or out and frankly it is a bit of a pain in the ar$e.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

after reading this, I think I won't go off my rocker by removing mine...they look pretty good right were they are.....lol

Old 04-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how much work and/or cost is involved in removing the existing Crosfire rocker panels and replacing them with the aftermarket AMG styled rocker panels?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AMG style rocker panel was a lot of work. The fit was off and I ended up doing a hell of a lot of cutting, fitting and fiberglass work. At the time I was determined to get it done because of how few of these panels were available. And I did finish it to perfection (took my time) after figuring out how to remove the original OEM panel. No body shop near me would touch it. I don't have any idea if the AMG panel that fits is available now. Is it?
I have since sold this crossfire and regretted it ever since. Although I ended up with a 2002 M5 I would still rather have my crossfire. I put quite a lot of engine performance upgrades, lowered the car, custom exterior parts and on and on. It really tore *** with the engine mods and computer mods.I really miss it. I will say it was a very firm ride with the it lowered. hard on the prostate.
Anyway it can be done for the cost of the panel and fiberglass, bondo and your labor. Then that cost to me was a total of $225.00. Good luck, sorry I can't help you more.

The following users liked this post:
richb55 (08-09-2021)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
Over the last week I have been going over my car for a full detail and upgrade. Inside out front to back.

Last night I got around to the rockers and figured I would share my pics. The rockers were "clean" as you wash the car, yet with the sponge reaching you could feel/see it was still very dirty, caked on and would not come clean with standard washing. Figured I would remove them to properly clean them. I wont be driving the car daily or in bad weather and after a few years of use from the previous owner I thought its a perfect time for me to detail the car.

Removal only takes about 5-10 minutes each. Super easy.

1. Start by removing the 4 plastic torx screws. You may need to use a panel popper to put pressure from behind them so they unscrew, when they do, pop the platic torx screw along with the plastic insert out as one.

2. Remove the 2 10mm bolts at the front of the panel.

3. Remove the 2 jacking pucks. There is a large flat blade screw insert that unthreads and pops out from the center of the puck. Then pop the pucks off with with panel popper.

4. Unsnap the panel and remove.
  • The panel is snapped to the car right behind the front wheel and infront of the rear wheel. There are white plastic pop clips under the panel in the door jamb. (I will add pics later) There are two "painted screws" that stick down from the body through the panel into the jacking pucks, so removal should go as follows.
  • Unsnap the front and back by the wheels.
  • Pull the panel from underneath the car down towards the ground and out towards you to clear the 2 painted screws that go down through the puck opening.
  • Open the door and unsnap the panel with the white plastic clips.
  • Remove the rocker panel.
Few pics:

Panel removed with mounting hardware
Attachment 48622

3+ years of caked on road grime
Attachment 48623

The back side of the panel Yes that is even dirty. Notice the points where the panel snaps to the rocker of the car, front and rear.
Attachment 48624

And cleaned, I used Turtle Wax bug/tar remover. I coat, soak, scrub and repeat. I did that about 4 times per panel. I still need to claybar and apply my 3M paint protection film.
Attachment 48625

Figured I should whipe down the rocker anyways. Notice the attaching points for the rocker panel front and rear. You can hardly notice the painted screw where the front puck would be. Pointing down to where all the dirt fell on the ground.
Attachment 48626

Here is the door jamb with the panel removed, notice where the clips snap in place.

Attachment 48627

Attachment 48628
Great article! Excellent photos! Thanks for the posting and detail! I have the raw panels which I still need to finish and paint. I have a 2005 limited coupe (Black). I’ll try to post before and after pics when the job is done! Enjoying the forum. Everyone take care!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes, it’s an old thread but I thought I would add to it rather than start new
I’ve recently acquired a set of the AMG Rocker panels. This entire thread below is absolutely correct.

They don’t fit without modification
On the web sites selling these, this is part of the description “perfect fitment is rare scenario”. Holy doodle, that statement is 100% correct

The AMG Rockers are 3mm too short, both sides

Hmmmmm
what to do, what to do

i know, chop chop !!!

I’ll be cutting and fabricating just like previous threads.

Will add the AMG PORTION to the existing rockers. It’s the only way to get this to work and stay on the car.

With the help of;
-speed grip 5
-carbon fibre at seams

this is is going to take a few weeks

ive completed the fixed wing repair (cracks in the support stanchion). Will attached the wing with OEM fasteners and will seal the wing to the mounting plate with Speed grip at the same time as I’m working on the rockers.

Wing and and plate will be one piece. The only area for water will be the seal between the plate and the trunk lid.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Yes, it’s an old thread but I thought I would add to it rather than start new
I’ve recently acquired a set of the AMG Rocker panels. This entire thread below is absolutely correct.

They don’t fit without modification
On the web sites selling these, this is part of the description “perfect fitment is rare scenario”. Holy doodle, that statement is 100% correct

The AMG Rockers are 3mm too short, both sides

Hmmmmm
what to do, what to do

i know, chop chop !!!

I’ll be cutting and fabricating just like previous threads.

Will add the AMG PORTION to the existing rockers. It’s the only way to get this to work and stay on the car.

With the help of;
-speed grip 5
-carbon fibre at seams

this is is going to take a few weeks

ive completed the fixed wing repair (cracks in the support stanchion). Will attached the wing with OEM fasteners and will seal the wing to the mounting plate with Speed grip at the same time as I’m working on the rockers.

Wing and and plate will be one piece. The only area for water will be the seal between the plate and the trunk lid.

The story of these goes back 9 years or so and is a stain on the forum that pops up now and again.
A group buy was started on AMG rockers, orders placed deposits paid and then slowly the deal took on a suspicious smell, it went down hill from there and ended up rubbish being delivered to those willing to take their chances. Attachment at one point relied on an angle bracket from The Home Depot if you can believe it. Refunds may or may nopthave been made, some were persuaded to even send shipping fees.
The sub contractor went on to make and sell them himself, same **** it was said, different name.
Physical harm was threatened by some, all talk and the episode was lost in time.
Think hard when a group buy is put forward, you deposit may be the seed money for someone to start their own business.
Read all about the fiasco here. CLICK
I have just seen that the thread was closed when the delivery time came and went, that was when the anger appeared. The parts that did show up were crap, real crap. The option given to buyers were to take the crappy parts or take a cash rebate of so many cents on the dollar. It appeared that the whole effort was subcontracted to a fellow of some ill repute, this further annoyed the buyers and all hell broke loose.
By closing down the thread and losing the many posts made after the cut off date it was hoped that the reputation of some well known members could be saved, I remember them though.
I could see the whole fiasco coming on and yet people were urged to make the final instalment plus shipping on parts they were not going to get.
The moderators at the time must have been naive or conveniently blind.
Some people are coated in Teflon, nothing sticks to them.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-20-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:34 PM

I’ve discovered the quality
Poor!

easiest way, at least to me is cut and glue

I trimmed away alot of material. Just kept the shape with enough surface to adhere to

so far, so good

Old 03-31-2019, 07:12 PM

Applied Speed Grip
added material where required

removed fasteners and started sanding/shaping

fill next
then fibre

Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 PM

Commenced with shaping

Old 04-06-2019, 08:41 PM

Fabrication complete
test fit today

if you want to install a set of these, a lot of messing around Will be required

Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Second coat of resin

Old 04-19-2019, 08:20 PM

2 passes of fill

Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Fill primer today

Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Fill primer today
Looking good and moving along steadily.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:10 PM

Primed today
sand and prime again tomorrow

paint on Friday

Wing too

Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

A job well done, I wish I had your talent ��

Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM

This is the way they should have been done way back when the original fiasco started, it started out on the wrong foot and just got worse until physical harm was being mentioned. It was a sound basis for a plot for a book.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 AM

Rocker panels painted
3 coats paints
3 coats clear

painted in the garage. Wet sand and buff today

(fixed wing completed too. More on the wing in a separate thread)

Old 06-15-2019, 08:49 AM

In an earlier post #16, you had indicated that the white sill clips should be installed on the rocker and not in the sill for installation. Could you or anyone else on the forum please confirm.

It it appears to be almost impossible to install the rockers with the sill clip on the rockers.

Quick Reply: Rocker Panel Removal and Detail.