Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Would you be
I'm interested in purchasing this Carbon Fiber hood for the Crossfire in a forum bulk buy!
84.13%
That design is beautiful, but not my style!
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Looking forward to your success and photos of the hood.

Looks like I'll be driving to St Louis in June without a hood on the car!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

According to my bathroom scales, the OEM hood weighs approximately 50lbs.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
Hope this carbon fiber hood will have enough clearence for the NeedsWings Mainfolds. Allow for engine torque lift! Squirrel Crusher
ThE hood design suppose to have as much clearence as the OEM hood, if not more in the center where the mid cowl is located!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
Have them contact me when it is complete. I'd be very interested in sole distributor rights.
Thanks for the offer, but the main reason I brought this to the attention of the forum was for that purpose after Talking with the XF members from Saint Louis, otherwise I would have just been content with shocking everyone come June. I'm all ready working on the terms and conditions of a 20 unit Bulk Buy pending a quality inspection on the prototype by my friends in Saint Louis. I have also discussed the possibility of price breaks for 20+ units pending the fit, weight, quality, and latch functionality. I was informed yesterday that the hood will have a internal weather function that would keep water away from the engine.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tighed1
Looking forward to your success and photos of the hood.

Looks like I'll be driving to St Louis in June without a hood on the car!

I just received some updated pictures of the design effort. The team has completed the fiber glass copy of the OEM hood. After the hood has fully cured, the team will 1st manipulate the fiberglass hood by redesigning it to represent the expected final design. The team then will start on the carbon fiber design effort by fabricating a clay mould of the vented fiberglass redesigned hood.

I will post the pics when I get off work. The pics will represent a fiberglass OEM hood before any mods!

Thanks
Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 02-02-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
I just received some updated pictures of the design effort. The team has completed the fiber glass copy of the OEM hood. After the hood has fully cured, the team will 1st manipulate the fiberglass hood by redesigning it to represent the expected final expected design. The team then will start on the carbon fiber design effort by fabricating a clay mould of the vented fiberglass redesigned hood.

I will post the pics when I get off work. The pics will represent a fiberglass OEM hood before any mods!

Thanks
Med
Fiberglass1.jpg

fiberglass2.jpg

fiberglass3.jpg

This might just happen after all..

I hope I get to be here come June to enjoy it on the track!

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 02-02-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Thanks for the offer, but the main reason I brought this to the attention of the forum was for that purpose after Talking with the XF members from Saint Louis, otherwise I would have just been content with shocking everyone come June. I'm all ready working on the terms and conditions of a 20 unit Bulk Buy pending a quality inspection on the prototype by my friends in Saint Louis. I have also discussed the possibility of price breaks for 20+ units pending the fit, weight, quality, and latch functionality. I was informed yesterday that the hood will have a internal weather function that would keep water away from the engine.
This completely contradicts the PM you sent me. Which am I going by?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
This completely contradicts the PM you sent me. Which am I going by?
No, It does not. I told you exactly what I posted. I will continue to handle this design effort the same why I have been since Oct. of last year. I would also appreciate it if you sent all communication through PM, just like the message you received prior to your post. I started this thread just to inform members of my design activities and see what type of intreast existed. Thats all. Any thing related to official bussiness will be handled the proper way through a Forum Bulk Buy. Until then, lets just relax and see what the performance design team can do

On another note. I was told over the phone that the redesign effort on the fiberglass hood which will be used to produce the clay mould for the full carbon design is going very smoothly.
Thanks
Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 02-02-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, It does not. I told you exactly what I posted. I will continue to handle this design effort the same why I have been since Oct. of last year. I would also appreciate it if you sent all communication through PM, just like the message you received prior to your post. I started this thread just to inform members of my design activities and see what type of intreast existed. Thats all. Any thing related to official bussiness will be handled the proper way through a Forum Bulk Buy. Until then, lets just relax and see what the performance design team can do

On another note. I was told over the phone that the redesign effort on the fiberglass hood which will be used to produce the clay mould for the full carbon design is going very smoothly.
Thanks
Med
If you need another person on your STL group buy I will drive down in a heart beat.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
If you need another person on your STL group buy I will drive down in a heart beat.
ditto.. well. i'll send bryan down for me.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Forum Regular

any updates?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

Yes and no...

I was told that the team will not start work on the carbon copy From the fiberglass mould till the 28th due to vacation. I'm not really happy about that because it pushes my delivery into early March .

Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 02-08-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Forum Regular

Damn that is a big vaction! Love the update photos keep em coming!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
Damn that is a big vaction! Love the update photos keep em coming!

It really is! The design team lead told me that a couple of the guys are Chinese (Chinese Spring Festival) and the Hispanic guys are also taking off (I have no clue why). I just hope they finish, because I was told business has been really slow over the last couple years forcing them to down size the number of designers due to the low demand for products.

Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 02-08-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 PM

I would def be interested in a group buy so keep me informed.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
Med
This is fantastic, keep us posted for sure

Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 PM

While there is nothing wrong with someone trying to make some money being the sole distributor, I for one am very happy you are trying to keep the costs down for the members who are interested in this modification. As I said before, I can't wait to see what you have come up with when finished.

Thanks
Med

Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

I read his response as he was going to (at least consider, depending on $$) let TVT be the sole distributor, and then TVT would be in charge of the forum group buy.

I'd prefer to eliminate an extra middle man, at least initially so I wouldn't have to pay the extra $$, but it's not up to me. Unless the price skyrockets, I'm still definitely interested.

Hopefully I'm wrong in what I read into it.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Originally Posted by billvp
I read his response as he was going to (at least consider, depending on $$) let TVT be the sole distributor, and then TVT would be in charge of the forum group buy.

I'd prefer to eliminate an extra middle man, at least initially so I wouldn't have to pay the extra $$, but it's not up to me. Unless the price skyrockets, I'm still definitely interested.

Hopefully I'm wrong in what I read into it.
FYI..... Running a Bulk Buy is not rocket science. I've ran many before on another car forum for N/A Colt race cams. So before we get ahead of schedule, let's just wait to see what type of final product the design team has in store for us.
I've been searching around and pricing what it would cost to paint the hood to match my car. My brother thinks I should leave it carbon fiber finished, but I think that would take away from the smooth finish the car already has.

So... Who's thinking paint is the way to go like the corvettes which carbon parts are painted?

Med

Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 AM

So... Who's thinking paint is the way to go like the corvettes which carbon parts are painted?

Med
Well I have a black car, so if/when I go with a carbon hood, it will probably just stay carbon for a while... but I guess it won't take away as much as it would on say a red car.

Quick Reply: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status