CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Exterior & Lighting (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/exterior-lighting/)
-   -   Side Mirror Seals (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/exterior-lighting/53819-side-mirror-seals.html)

SATXfire 12-28-2011 09:53 PM

Side Mirror Seals

Has anyone had to replace the seals for their side view mirrors? Mine are cracking and have turned "gummy". I've tried searching online but haven't had any luck locating a part number for the seals. Any idea if the seals are sold individually?

RMADERMAN 12-29-2011 03:11 PM

Re: Side Mirror Seals

Originally Posted by SATXfire
Has anyone had to replace the seals for their side view mirrors? Mine are cracking and have turned "gummy". I've tried searching online but haven't had any luck locating a part number for the seals. Any idea if the seals are sold individually?

I would also be interested in 2 sets.

JHM2K 12-29-2011 03:19 PM

When I removed the mirrors from my Limited, they are attached to the mirror itself.

Highly probable that the part number is not separately serviceable from Chrysler.

onehundred80 12-29-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
When I removed the mirrors from my Limited, they are attached to the mirror itself.

Highly probable that the part number is not separately serviceable from Chrysler.

+1 on that.
I checked the parts list yesterday and there was no listing for the gasket.

SATXfire 12-29-2011 08:53 PM

So I guess we're forced to spend about $600 replacing perfectly good mirrors just for the seals which probably cost less than a dollar to make? Not cool. :mad:

I bought my '05 roadster from Carmax with 2,800 miles in July 2008. I only have 12,900 miles on the odometer now. I'm still covered under my Carmax MaxCare warranty but seals are excluded. However, if they are an integral part of the mirror then I *might* be able to argue w/Carmax that the mirrors themselves are defective. I will try to stop by the Chrysler dealer tomorrow just to see if they can find a part number by some miracle. Will report the outcome!

BoilerUpXFire 12-30-2011 11:26 AM

So I guess we're forced to spend about $600 replacing perfectly good mirrors just for the seals which probably cost less than a dollar to make? Not cool. :mad:

Hate to say it, but many times on this car, you have to think outside the box and fabricate a solution yourself due to the lack of care from Chrysler/Mercedes. I would try to pull the mirror off and see if you can remove the OEM one and make one from the template of the old one from gasket material or rubber sheeting. Good luck out there :D

JHM2K 12-30-2011 11:44 AM

I bought my '05 roadster from Carmax with 2,800 miles in July 2008. I only have 12,900 miles on the odometer now. I'm still covered under my Carmax MaxCare warranty but seals are excluded. However, if they are an integral part of the mirror then I *might* be able to argue w/Carmax that the mirrors themselves are defective. I will try to stop by the Chrysler dealer tomorrow just to see if they can find a part number by some miracle. Will report the outcome!

If not, and they stick you with buying a replacement, let me know. I have a spare RH/LH mirror assembly.

SATXfire 12-30-2011 05:15 PM

Well, I stopped by the Chrysler dealer this afternoon and they confirmed the seals are not individually available. Guess I'll try my luck with Carmax and see what happens. I need to take it in anyway because of a leaking valve cover gasket, broken cup holder and broken dry rotted gas cap tether.

JHM2K, many thanks for your offer! If Carmax doesn't cover this, I'll give you a shout. BoilerUpXfire -- your template idea is also worth a shot. Thanks to all for your replies.

JHM2K 12-31-2011 05:27 PM

Well, I stopped by the Chrysler dealer this afternoon and they confirmed the seals are not individually available. Guess I'll try my luck with Carmax and see what happens. I need to take it in anyway because of a leaking valve cover gasket, broken cup holder and broken dry rotted gas cap tether.

JHM2K, many thanks for your offer! If Carmax doesn't cover this, I'll give you a shout. BoilerUpXfire -- your template idea is also worth a shot. Thanks to all for your replies.

I have you covered on a cupholder too... Mine is MINT.

And no, I'm not competing with MrMoPar LOL... Tim can have the salvage business... I'm just ready to shoot this stockpile of parts in the head :cool:

RED DOG 09-11-2018 10:09 AM

I am resurrecting this old thread. Does anyone have a solution to replacing rotted gaskets on our Crossfire side view mirrors??

onehundred80 09-11-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by RED DOG (Post 911995)
I am resurrecting this old thread. Does anyone have a solution to replacing rotted gaskets on our Crossfire side view mirrors??

As earlier posts have said a new gasket made from a rubber or silicone sheet should be easy to make, the surface that it mounts on looks pretty flat.
Anyone with some molding experience should be able to make them from a pourable liquid silicone or urethane.

RED DOG 09-13-2018 09:06 AM

As with our roadster radio antenna gasket, I was hoping someone had found another side view mirror that uses the same gasket / seal as our Crossfire mirrors. I ordered some neoprene gasket materials to cut my own gaskets but still holding out hope of finding new ready made gaskets. ;)

zip439 09-16-2018 06:06 AM

Say Bob, just a shot out into the night, but next time you drive pass a Mercedes dealer stop in and chat with their in-house body shop manager. With some luck he may have a decent solution.

bc75 12-14-2019 07:51 PM

Has anyone tried taking a cheap floor mat and cutting it to size.

onehundred80 12-15-2019 11:34 AM

Has anyone tried taking a wreckers yard or someone selling mirrors on eBay?

bc75 01-10-2020 09:34 PM

I bought a sheet of rubber on Amazon. Cut it to size work's great. Only $12

JSK 01-11-2020 12:08 AM

Photo?

bc75 01-11-2020 12:25 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...aa94d9a53e.png
This is what i bought.

JSK 01-11-2020 02:30 PM

I was hoping to see a photo of the finished project. Did you trim it flush or let it stick out a little? What did you cut the material with?

zip439 01-11-2020 03:24 PM

1/8" seems really thick? I saw some on amazon that was only 1/32 which may make a nicer looking gasket.