Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

GLASS headlights?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GLASS headlights?

I will let you all know how this will go. Yes they will be a BIG gargantuan investment on my end, due to the complex and involved shape of the lense to make.The mold is not garented to last. I may get 18,000 or just one lense out of it. I have some friend that just remade some lenses for his 1929 Cord, L-29 (NOT FORD) car and for his 1930 Stutz (DV-32) car in glass, He could have had them made in acrylic but the price vs glass was not that much more. He went with glass.He had to make the mold for the Stutz 3 times at a big price, and only made 9 sets. Also with the glass units you could get that bright light bulb now and not worry about the heat on the lense. I love this car and this spring will be getting some more of them (3-4) I hope!! I plan on keeping this car for a very long time,so that is why I want glass in my headlight. This Plastic stuff WILL NOT LAST. Go look at a car from the 50's or even the 60"s with the old plastic, it will not look good if it has been used and is original to the cars age. This is what I do not want on my car in 30 years crappy plastic lenses, and if you can find good ones in 20-30 years time they will be high in the $$$$. The companys went with plastic because it was cheeeeeeeeeeep way to make them vs glass. My 1930 Jordan is a Grate line 90 4dr- 5pass car with only 45,675 original miles. The 90 is for the hp of the motor in the car. There is about 8 to 9 1930's left in the world and only (4) 4dr- 5pass out of that 8-9. The Jordan is very rare in the car world. I will post some photos of it when I can.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

a) I use Blue Magic Headlight Lens Sealer about once a month.
b) Just google "Somewhere west of Laramie".

Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Forum Regular
Default GLASS headlights?

speedway--Z, what material is used for the mold? Some years ago I had plastic headlight covers made for a Fiat Zagato Double-Bubble and the place used plaster of Paris with a felt cover on it. Obviously Plexiglas forms at a much lower temperature than glass.

It's a shame the molds used don't generally last all that long.

I've always felt that it will be the electronics that will be the Achilles heel in the future. But yes, headlights will also be a major concern.

Good luck on the project!

Biba

Old 04-26-2014, 11:03 AM

Updates? I am about to pull the trigger on a brand new pair of headlights.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Forum Regular
Default GLASS headlights?

Can I assume you'll be paying roughly $1.2K - or did you find a Chrysler dealer who was going to throw them out so gave you a huge discount (not likely)?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by BibaResto
Can I assume you'll be paying roughly $1.2K - or did you find a Chrysler dealer who was going to throw them out so gave you a huge discount (not likely)?
Your assumption is right.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I suggest waiting on this. The reason is that one year from today you will be able to scan the lens in full very high res 3d and shortly thereafter be able to print the part out. We are about to enter the era of "make it ourselves replacement parts". I will be getting this unit in a couple months for instance.

Fuel3D Fuel3D: The low-cost, high-quality 3D scanner, for 3D printing, 3D animation, 3D game development and more

Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Da55id
I suggest waiting on this. The reason is that one year from today you will be able to scan the lens in full very high res 3d and shortly thereafter be able to print the part out. We are about to enter the era of "make it ourselves replacement parts". I will be getting this unit in a couple months for instance.

Fuel3D Fuel3D: The low-cost, high-quality 3D scanner, for 3D printing, 3D animation, 3D game development and more
Excuse me if I remain doubtful of the claims you have made.
While these machines may look good in the pages of Popular Mechanics the materials that can be printed will be limited for quite some time.
These headlights would require a special plastic and have a good surface finish as well. The plastic would have to be laid down in a totally homogenous condition or the optical quality would be useless.

Talking of Popular Mechanics, I am still waiting to get a chance to purchase my own personal VTOL aircraft, fortunately I never did get around to putting the landing pad on my roof.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80;793723 [SIZE=2
Talking of Popular Mechanics, I am still waiting to get a chance to purchase my own personal VTOL aircraft, fortunately I never did get around to putting the landing pad on my roof.[/SIZE]

I was just about to start to build one on the roof. I'm tired of the grass clippings blowing into the pool.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
I was just about to start to build one on the roof. I'm tired of the grass clippings blowing into the pool.

I see you have repaired the diving board since I was there last year.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Default Re: X Fire headlights?

Originally Posted by speedway--Z
I may have found a vender that could make us the headlights out of GLASS!! I will need to know how many would need to be made, and then they will let me know how much it might be to do this. Let me know if you would like to do this. They will be completed late in the year. Only one run will be completed, get your wants in early, the more that are made the less in total price they will be. They will only do it if they have 100 sets ( both sides) left & right. This is the smallest order that they will do. You get only the lense(clear part) of the headlight NOT the back- housing of it. You will need to cut off your bad lense and mount the glass one in it's place. Or if you want send me your headlights and I will do this for you and then send back to you. They would be water tight. Just a idea for every one out there. Think about it no more fixing the junk lenses!!
Hey Speedway,

I see you are used to heating the headlight assemblies and pulling of the plastic lenses. I want to add the Halo Eyes to my Crossfire and have never "baked" assemblies or taken them apart to save the plastic. Would you be willing to do dis-assemble mine and put back together after I glue in the CCFL? How much would your fee be?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure thing

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Excuse me if I remain doubtful of the claims you have made.
While these machines may look good in the pages of Popular Mechanics the materials that can be printed will be limited for quite some time.
These headlights would require a special plastic and have a good surface finish as well. The plastic would have to be laid down in a totally homogenous condition or the optical quality would be useless.

Talking of Popular Mechanics, I am still waiting to get a chance to purchase my own personal VTOL aircraft, fortunately I never did get around to putting the landing pad on my roof.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:36 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

I see you have repaired the diving board since I was there last year.

Very observant...... told the 350 lb nanny not to use it again.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Now that's funny. I was looking at a Mosquito helicopter today. I would need to sell both cars in order to buy it. Lessons and fuel, license will be needed as well, although just a sportsman license... Now if you can afford all that, glass headlights is nothing...

Old 04-27-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Very observant...... told the 350 lb nanny not to use it again.
Those pool bombs of hers must have drained 6" every time.
Boy was that a sight.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Default Re: X Fire headlights?

Originally Posted by jeffm210
Hey Speedway,

I see you are used to heating the headlight assemblies and pulling of the plastic lenses. I want to add the Halo Eyes to my Crossfire and have never "baked" assemblies or taken them apart to save the plastic. Would you be willing to do dis-assemble mine and put back together after I glue in the CCFL? How much would your fee be?

Thanks!
I'd be interested in how he does it so I can do it myself!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Now that's funny. I was looking at a Mosquito helicopter today. I would need to sell both cars in order to buy it. Lessons and fuel, license will be needed as well, although just a sportsman license... Now if you can afford all that, glass headlights is nothing...
You can buy a few of these machines as they come in many colors.
My buddies son has at least twelve.

I say go for it.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Dave, but I have two of those...lol

Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Thanks Dave, but I have two of those...lol
The toys these kids have today, amazing gear.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 PM

The toys these kids have today, amazing gear.
Tell me about it!

Quick Reply: GLASS headlights?