Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

GLASS headlights?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GLASS headlights?

I may have found a vender that could make us the headlights out of GLASS!! I will need to know how many would need to be made, and then they will let me know how much it might be to do this. Let me know if you would like to do this. They will be completed late in the year. Only one run will be completed, get your wants in early, the more that are made the less in total price they will be. They will only do it if they have 100 sets ( both sides) left & right. This is the smallest order that they will do. You get only the lense(clear part) of the headlight NOT the back- housing of it. You will need to cut off your bad lense and mount the glass one in it's place. Or if you want send me your headlights and I will do this for you and then send back to you. They would be water tight. Just a idea for every one out there. Think about it no more fixing the junk lenses!!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: GLASS headlighs??

I'm in if the pair price comes in at $100 or less

PS everyone : if this DOES happen, don't forget to install Lamin-x or Xpel covers for protection - @ $49

XPEL H0818 Clear Headlamp and Fog Lamp Protection Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive XPEL H0818 Clear Headlamp and Fog Lamp Protection Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Last edited by ala_xfire; 01-29-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM

I'd be interested in this depending on what the price ends up being. I suppose it would be wise of us to buy back up sets just in case we find ourselves on a date with a rock or other road debris. Is it possible to get an estimate for 100 pair so we know the approximate price range?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

What would be the advantage of glass headlight lens?

Have you looked at the condition of your glass fog light lens after a few years? Full of chips that the DIYer can not repair or make look new again, I tried. At least the plastic lens can be restored every 4 or 5 years to appear new again.

I just don't see the price to be justified enough for this to happen. Prove me wrong...

James

Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Forum Regular

Count me in. I miss glass headlamps.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Abaton6
Count me in. I miss glass headlamps.

DITTO!

Plastic is cheaper, lighter and safer but, I like the glass better.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
DITTO!

Plastic is cheaper, lighter and safer but, I like the glass better.
Glass is nice with a good scotch in it, headlights not so much. Remember how many time you replaced those headlight units, the round ones then the rectangular ones, they were a pain in the a$$. Covered in whatever they got broken all the time.
Plastic is good, foggy plastic no.
A stone leaves a chip in plastic, and a hole in glass, we want a plastic replacement. I'm thinking plexiglass heated over a mold in an oven and carefully stuck with silicone over the hole left when the plastic lens has been cut off carefully.
How hard can that be?

We need someone smart here, but I cannot think of anyone. LOL
Second thoughts, Super Mario is our man. He'd have it done before the group buy is even started.

Super Mario for PM!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
super-mario-bros1 (460x800).jpg (122.9 KB, 621 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-29-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM

A rock will break plastic or glass either way, same outcome. Won't change that feature.

I never had a problem replacing aheadlights. Easier than what we now have.
Never had to de-fog one. EVER.

I have glass on my '95 Dodge one ton. In 19 years, I think I may have replaced one that burnt out. Replacement took less time and effort than any of the restoration processes around.

Cleans with a rag just like new.

I have yet to enjoy that from a plastic lens.

Perhaps you could ask Mario to come do my Crossie.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 01-29-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A rock will break plastic or glass either way, same outcome. Won't change that feature.
I am on my third foglight, but the headlights have yet to break...

I think getting 100 will be nearly impossible, but then having to remove the headlights, cut the lenses and mate these to the assembly, there is no way 100 people are going to jump on that IMHO.

As James says, proce me wrong....

Old 01-29-2014, 02:16 PM

I never had a problem replacing aheadlights. Easier than what we now have.
Never had to de-fog one. EVER.

I have glass on my '95 Dodge one ton. In 19 years, I think I may have replaced one that burnt out. Replacement took less time and effort thaan any of the restoration processes around.

Cleans with a rag just like new.

I have yet to enjoy that from a plastic lens.
I do agree that glass is easier in some ways but this piece of glass is not going to be as cheap as a sealed beam unit.
It will not be as easy to change as a sealed beam unit.
It may fog up as it is the fault of the main body not the lens.
A rock will not break Lexan
® easily as it is virtually bullet proof at auto speeds. At greater thicknesses laminated Lexan® is bullet proof.
Glass has to be properly cast to be make a clear lens, looking like an old Cola bottle is not good.
Lexan®sheet is good from the get go.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM

You all make valid points. Here I thought they switched to plastic headlights to make you tired of cleaning it and just want to buy a new car.

How many of you have use Xpel? Does it really never fade or oxidize?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:52 PM

the lense should be made out of polycarbonate, it is tough and doesn't turn yellow. It is cheap plastic and can be heated and vacuum encapsulated (thermoformed) or it can be press formed at room temperature. This would save costs on expensive tooling. There are all kinds of polycarbonate blends out there though.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
the lense should be made out of polycarbonate, it is tough and doesn't turn yellow. It is cheap plastic and can be heated and vacuum encapsulated (thermoformed) or it can be press formed at room temperature. This would save costs on expensive tooling. There are all kinds of polycarbonate blends out there though.
Lexan is polycarbonate.
Press formed at room temperature - how?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I do agree that glass is easier in some ways but this piece of glass is not going to be as cheap as a sealed beam unit.
It will not be as easy to change as a sealed beam unit.
It may fog up as it is the fault of the main body not the lens.
A rock will not break Lexan
® easily as it is virtually bullet proof at auto speeds. At greater thicknesses laminated Lexan® is bullet proof.
Glass has to be properly cast to be make a clear lens, looking like an old Cola bottle is not good.
Lexan®sheet is good from the get go.
Glass will not be as cheap as plastic. I believe that is what I said
Glass will not be as easy as a sealed beam? not my point.

The industry went to plastic for many reasons. economy, light weight, ease of manufacture and to meet safety rules.
Glass will not do that.
Which is why we don't have real chrome parts anymore either.

So what.

We can discuss the valid points of glass over plastic and vice versa.

So what.

The point of the thread is the manufacture of glass units to replace our plastic lenses. I think it a great idea in theory because I have never been fond of the plastic.
The is no formulation that does not suffer haze and yellowing of some sort over time.

But Boiler up says it as it is. The idea may be great but it is likely impractical to implement.

And the idea will most likely survive or fall on those points that he mentioned.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 01-29-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 AM

I will call and see if I only have 100 sets how much $$$ it would be. My thought on this was I just had 10 sets made for my 1930 Jordan car. I droped one 3 years ago, and had no luck findding one in good shape. They are big flat lenses 13 & 1/4 " in diam. 1", in thicknes. The mold cost me $1,500 and to make 20 single lenses was $5.500, so the more you make the less it will be. There are only 2 kinds cars in the world that would need this size lense, so I only could get 4 others that needed them. On the Jordan one lense fits both sides of the car,( Left & right). I am going to have them make me the molds of the lenses anyway for the Crossfire,at $3.000 this is just the mold of both sides,( left & right). I just like glass. I hate this dammed plastic junk. So if no one wants them that is ok. Just thought I would let you all know what I was doing. How long will the plastic hold up over time before it can't be fixed???

Old 01-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by speedway--Z
I will call and see if I only have 100 sets how much $$$ it would be. My thought on this was I just had 10 sets made for my 1930 Jordan car. I droped one 3 years ago, and had no luck findding one in good shape. They are big flat lenses 13 & 1/4 " in diam. 1", in thicknes. The mold cost me $1,500 and to make 20 single lenses was $5.500, so the more you make the less it will be. There are only 2 kinds cars in the world that would need this size lense, so I only could get 4 others that needed them. On the Jordan one lense fits both sides of the car,( Left & right). I am going to have them make me the molds of the lenses anyway for the Crossfire,at $3.000 this is just the mold of both sides,( left & right). I just like glass. I hate this dammed plastic junk. So if no one wants them that is ok. Just thought I would let you all know what I was doing. How long will the plastic hold up over time before it can't be fixed???

I say forge ahead with or without the blessings of our panel of "experts" here. I suggest you keep us informed as some may wish to join in. But, I doubt you will see many.

Until say 2016-2018 when no one can afford the one new set of NOS on Ebay for $3,000

Old 01-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: GLASS headlights?

I'd like some just sounds expensive.........count me in depending on final cost Speedway--Z

Old 01-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Forum Regular
Default GLASS headlights?

FWIW, when I read Jordan, the first thing I thought of was Playboy (and not the Hugh Hefner version). Wiki didn't have a photo of one but Hemmings had a lovely red and black one. Is that by any chance what you have rmaier? In any event I applaud your willingness to fulfill a project you believe in.

The shape of the XF headlamps will no doubt be expensive to make and I'm guessing a pair of glass lens will be a very minimum of $1.5K...no doubt much more.

I'd love to have glass in mine, though the cost of them is scary, but I'm especially concerned about cutting off the lens and having the glass ones fit perfectly and be water tight. Obviously a pair of headlamps will need to be sacrificed for the molds.

I've never had a glass type light break while it was on the car. Yes, I've also dropped them, but never rare ones.

I'd hate to put a plastic cover over the glass lens, but it might turn out to be very prudent.

I doubt I will be a buyer of the XF lens', but when I look at all of the various combinations of headlamp designs today, my first thought is good luck in getting one in say twenty to 40 years. I restore '59 to '49 year old Alfa's for a living and it sure is nice that they all take 7" (glass) headlamps. I also sell Cibie lamps.

Biba

Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 PM

Glass will not be as cheap as plastic. I believe that is what I said
Glass will not be as easy as a sealed beam? not my point.

The industry went to plastic for many reasons. economy, light weight, ease of manufacture and to meet safety rules.
Glass will not do that.
Which is why we don't have real chrome parts anymore either.

So what.

We can discuss the valid points of glass over plastic and vice versa.

So what.

The point of the thread is the manufacture of glass units to replace our plastic lenses. I think it a great idea in theory because I have never been fond of the plastic.
The is no formulation that does not suffer haze and yellowing of some sort over time.

But Boiler up says it as it is. The idea may be great but it is likely impractical to implement.

And the idea will most likely survive or fall on those points that he mentioned.
Amazing, a lot of talk and you come to the same conclusion as I that glass is impractical.
When you think about it buying a $1,200 set now would be a bargooooon. LOL

Old 02-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Default Re: GLASS headlights?

I would be up for it, but I'm not thinking this would be realistic from a cost standpoint.
Our headlight shape/form is kind of complex.

My favorite headlights design of all time are the classic saab units. Modern bulb style but detachable glass front (sealed via rubber gasket). No fogging, scratching discoloration, cheap and easy to replace if needed.

FWIW I've had lots of saabs with this design and never broken or chipped a headlight.
Note that the US spec lights were never clear they had the rib style lens, but you could swap for the euro lens if I recall.
The saab lights still look exactly like they do in the pic below....my xf lights now look like complete garbage lol...

DSC00293.jpg

Quick Reply: GLASS headlights?