Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Center Mount Brake Light Gremlin

Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Center Mount Brake Light Gremlin

My center mount brake light works sometimes, fully bright and sometimes dim, sometimes not at all. Two questions. Does anyone have a similar issue and know what the issue and fix is? Anyone know where to buy a new one? I've seen used on Ebay but not sure if it's fully functioning. Thanks for an assistance.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Center Mount Brake Light Gremlin

Originally Posted by PNA
My center mount brake light works sometimes, fully bright and sometimes dim, sometimes not at all. Two questions. Does anyone have a similar issue and know what the issue and fix is? Anyone know where to buy a new one? I've seen used on Ebay but not sure if it's fully functioning. Thanks for an assistance.

I have seen posts listing the lights cut off, half work while the other half is OK, or are dim. I also heard the solder on the LED board does the same thing that the RCM does (crack and intermittently connect). If you take the LED assembly out check all the solder points on the circuit board. Use a good powerful magnifying glass. Sounds like you are having a connection problem. Test the supply at the light before you go further, you should have a strong system voltage (compare the batt voltage while running then use the same voltmeter and have someone hit the brakes and test the hot/ground at the LED assembly before it enters the LED assembly). I cannot tell you if you have a supply voltage 'dip' or a failing solder point(s) on the circuit board. Either way, you have to first remove that trim to get at the assembly and wiring. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2015, 02:07 PM
PNA

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. It seems weird they would all work, then not, then just be dim. Sounds like the solder points may be at issue, as you suggested. I'll also check the input leads but given I don't have issues with the other brake lights working consistently, I expect it's the light assembly. It'd be nice to just know getting a new light assembly would solve the issue because I'd rather not deal with resoldering, but I haven't found one yeet.

Thanks again.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

A new assembly would most likely be the answer as it is a common problem on the roadsters. Also I recall some time ago there was a posting about a company you can send it to and they will make it new again with their own components. A search may find it

James

Old 07-18-2015, 03:58 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by James1549
A new assembly would most likely be the answer as it is a common problem on the roadsters. Also I recall some time ago there was a posting about a company you can send it to and they will make it new again with their own components. A search may find it

James

Thanks James. The new one would be my preference. Just haven't found one yet. I did a search earlier but didn't come up with the "send" away option. I'll keep searching.

Paul

Old 07-18-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by PNA
This fellow will repair yours and send it back. Reasonable rates compared to the price of a new unit.
Cadillac LED Replacement 3rd Brake Light, High Mounted Stop Lights, Third Brakelights For Escalade, Escalade EXT, LTZ, ESV, XLR, Seville, SLS, STS, Chrysler Crossfire, Lexus SC 300 400, Hummer H3

Old 07-18-2015, 04:46 PM

Thats the one! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mackel

Old 07-19-2015, 01:20 PM

I am not quite sure the information on that website is as accurate as it is. I was believing the CHMSL was 12v but their website says it is not in an ambiguous way. I believe I had 12v at the connector when I installed the blinky control. The blinky control operates off 12 volts (I tested it before opening my hatch assembly before installation with a spare 12v bulb), and it is advertised as 12v supply voltage necessary for its operation. Yes it is controlled by the ICM but the ICM sends 12v down the line to the CHMSL assembly. So, has anyone taken the brake lamp module apart to access those LED's on the circuit board?? The site leaves you to believe this module is a sealed unit with the circuit board access not available. If access to the circuit board is available, I would definitely attempt to 'reflow' solder to the LED array. The site listed does not post a set fee for this service so I would make sure a lot of specific questions were asked BEFORE sending the array (if you think you cannot repair any failing solder points). Good luck!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Does anyone have a few detailed close-up pictures of the coupe, roadster, and SRT-6 assemblies? I would like to peruse them, especially interested in the accessing of the circuit board(s) internal to each. This is just a curiosity I have, mine works fine just want to see what each looks like and if they are accessible for a repair if needed.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I have a spare roadster light, and I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out, but this unit has me stumped.
I tried GENTLY cutting, prying around the plastic and got scared and stopped.
( The reason I stopped is that this spare actually WORKS - I hooked it up for test when I was doing the blinky mod ).
I don't wish to destroy something that is working.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:35 AM
PNA

Thanks to all for the replies and the info. A couple quick points in response.

First, while I think resoldering might work (because I know the lights work sometimes) it's near impossible to pry the plastic away because the light string is encased in the plastic. I too am afraid of braking it.
I'm sure someone familiar with doing these things may know how to do this better than I but I still think something will have to be broken or snapped off partially to fix it.
I have found some used ones and am investigating one now that says it has been "tested" so I may buy it but I can tell you thus far no new ones have been found in my search. I may contact the dealer to see what they suggest but unless they find a new one for a reasonable price, I'll just hope I get a good used one.
My last option is to break-off the plastic covering the strip (no holds barred) and try the resolder. If that doesn't work I'd just remove all the bulbs and wire and secure an new LED strip light set into the holding area of the assembly and hopefully it will still look as nice as the original (maybe better).

I'll post back after it's all over an done.

Thanks, Paul

Old 07-20-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I have a spare roadster light, and I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out, but this unit has me stumped.
I tried GENTLY cutting, prying around the plastic and got scared and stopped.
( The reason I stopped is that this spare actually WORKS - I hooked it up for test when I was doing the blinky mod ).
I don't wish to destroy something that is working.

Yeah I agree you sure do not want to break something that's functioning, been there done that! I read somewhere they guys that repair them actually cut the plastic away, repair the board, then cover/seal the unit back up. That's why I wanted to 'see' the assemblies. Given the access problem it would seem the best option is to send it out to those who have done them before, unless they delegate it to a $4.50 an hour kid from high school (LOL)..

Old 07-21-2015, 08:35 AM
PNA

I bought a used one off an 05 coupe out of Detroit. They said is was tested and I had them test it a gain before I purchased it. $35 with $25 shipping charge. Oh well, as long as it actually works I'll be good with it. I'll post back once I receive it and do the install. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:06 PM
PNA

It was a faulty light. I bought one from a used parts supplier in Detroit. I just installed it and it's back to normal. Thank goodness. I hate having things not in working order. I bought it based on the fact that they tested it and all was in order. $35 plus $25 shipping.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:15 PM

Glad it worked out for you. Now send your defective one in for repair because you will need it in the future. James

Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by James1549
Glad it worked out for you. Now send your defective one in for repair because you will need it in the future. James
Yeah, I've kept the old one and plan to get it repaired so I can have a spare. Hopefully I won't need it but I should expect I will.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it worked out. If you don't mind could you share the name of that used parts supplier in Detroit. Wondering if any dealers have them new.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by autumnmass
Glad it worked out. If you don't mind could you share the name of that used parts supplier in Detroit. Wondering if any dealers have them new.
It was called Pacific Motors . Their email is info@pacific -motors.com Someone forwarded me a good site for used parts and this was one of the ones that listed a used light for sale. There are others as well. I bought from these guys because they said it was "Tested". They called me I asked them to retest it because it had been sitting on a parts shelf for several years. They did, sent it to me and all is good. Total cost was $60. On another thread someone said they found a new one from Chrysler for $175. I would have bought a new one but could find one. I'll check the other thread, get the link to the parts supplier listing and update this response shortly.

UPDATED: Here's the link to the used parts website. You can search by area / etc. http://car-part.com/ BTW, on the parts list, select "Third Brake Light" A long list will appear. Also, select years 2004 -2008. You'll need to make sure you look for a coupe or roadster depending on what car you have.

Last edited by PNA; 07-30-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the posts on this topic. I am about to embark on this repair for both the roadster and the srt...srt first since it doesn't light up at all, no left half on the roadster. Is there a mod to sequentialise the led's into a pattern like the old mercury cougars had??

Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
PNA

I haven't seen anyone on here indicate they have developed such a mod. However, there are those that have done the strobe mod. Pretty easy. Just install the kit in line prior to the plug in to the light and it works well.

Quick Reply: Center Mount Brake Light Gremlin