Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Turn Signal Relays

Old 09-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Relays

I have looked through a lot of threads, but l didn't find what I needed, so I apologize if this has been covered.

Mt turn signals and emergency flasher went out. All other lights work. I replaced the fuse but that didn't help. I am assuming I need to change a relay but I am not where or which one. Page 233 of the manual didn't help much. Any help provided is most welcome. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Turn Signal Relays

Originally Posted by mavxfire
I have looked through a lot of threads, but l didn't find what I needed, so I apologize if this has been covered.

Mt turn signals and emergency flasher went out. All other lights work. I replaced the fuse but that didn't help. I am assuming I need to change a relay but I am not where or which one. Page 233 of the manual didn't help much. Any help provided is most welcome. Thanks!
Not too familiar with this but I believe they have something to do with the emergency flasher switch.
The click comes from behind the instrument cluster, some posts said pushing the emergency flasher will reset the indicators, hold the emergency button down and turn on the indicators.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-14-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

THe wiring diagrams are VERY incomplete and inaccurate when it comes to a lot of things, and THAT circuit in particular.

I gave up some time ago, they leave too much detail out - but as far as I can tell, the flasher for the fourways is the flasher for the turn signals. My guess would be the flasher is bad or the four way flasher SWITCH is bad.

I do not know where the damn flasher is, either. I THINK it's in behind or plugged into the four way flasher switch but I can't say for sure.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
THe wiring diagrams are VERY incomplete and inaccurate when it comes to a lot of things, and THAT circuit in particular.

I gave up some time ago, they leave too much detail out - but as far as I can tell, the flasher for the fourways is the flasher for the turn signals. My guess would be the flasher is bad or the four way flasher SWITCH is bad.

I do not know where the damn flasher is, either. I THINK it's in behind or plugged into the four way flasher switch but I can't say for sure.
According to the Service Manual, the Hazard Flasher is integrated into the Hazard Switch Assembly. (see attached file) Manual states no repair or adjustment possible. Typical for electrical switches.

Attached Files

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-14-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

I think that the instrument panel lights for the indicators are made to flash using a flasher mounted on the printed circuit behind the instrument cluster.
The flasher for the lights is in the BCM.
I got this circuit from a post by Ala_xfire. CLICK
I think for now anyway.
Confused.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-14-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think that the instrument panel lights for the indicators are made to flash using a flasher mounted on the printed circuit behind the instrument cluster.
The flasher for the lights is in the BCM.
I got this circuit from a post by Ala_xfire. CLICK
I think for now anyway.
Confused.
So, the way I read that circuit diagram, if the Hazard Switch Assembly, which is mounted in the Console Switch Group, goes bad, none of the turn signals work, which includes the flasher function itself.

That would explain the original condition identified by mavxfire.

Does the circuit diagram also indicate that the interior lights are powered up thru the Hazard Switch Assembly? If they are, wonder if they are also not working on the car?

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-16-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
So, the way I read that circuit diagram, if the Hazard Switch Assembly, which is mounted in the Console Switch Group, goes bad, none of the turn signals work, which includes the flasher function itself.

That woud explain the original condition identified by mavxfire.

I was thinking the same thing PLUS it is the item that seems to be broken (switch in center of the stack, which is part of the housing). If that switch is not functioning properly, it would be giving all sorts of problems. Start there, then I am gambling everything else will work as it should (unless something else was broken but we already seem to conclude the flasher 'triangle switch' is kaputzzz).

When I first got my XF NEW, the switch was acting up, until I used the 'new-ness' out of it. Looks easy enough to damage, hitting it or pressing it too hard. Push-button switches tend to fail where the latching pins on cheap plastic interact with cams. Just my edumicated guesstimate!

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 09-16-2016 at 03:04 PM.