CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Exterior & Lighting (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/exterior-lighting/)
-   -   Convertible Top Wear Strap? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/exterior-lighting/76424-convertible-top-wear-strap.html)

maggy55 05-12-2017 02:40 AM

Convertible Top Wear Strap?

There is wide strap on each side on the inside of the top that goes from the rear to the front. I believe it is a wear strap to protect the top from the bows. On my top the strap just falls out at the front edge near the windshield. I can't tell how it's supposed to attach there. Can some one help me out? :confused:

ala_xfire 05-12-2017 07:01 AM

Re: Convertible Top Wear Strap?

The strap has a 'rolled' portion at the front that slips into a slot in the front header.

maxcichon 05-12-2017 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 887067)
The strap has a 'rolled' portion at the front that slips into a slot in the front header.

Coooorect!

I wonder how it would come loose?:confused:

ala_xfire 05-12-2017 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon (Post 887071)
Coooorect!

I wonder how it would come loose?:confused:

It couldn't. It is either torn or rotted, much like me.

JSK 05-12-2017 11:34 AM

I just replaced my top and also had to replace both straps. The nylon portions were in fair shape but at each end there is a section of elastic. On mine those elastic sections were rotted to the point of turning to dust when handled. I have seen replacement straps on eBay for around $195. I found bulk strapping and elastic on eBay and a local upholstery shop sewed thom up for me for $45. You would have to take the top completely loose on the sides to do the replacement.

ala_xfire 05-12-2017 11:40 AM

Yes, there are rivets through those straps in the cross bows.

maggy55 05-12-2017 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

KeithTexas 09-12-2017 12:45 PM

What's the latest on your plans to repair/replace or not worry about the wear straps?

I have the same issue. I'm wondering if I can order some 3 inch wide nylon or polyester strapping and hand stitch it to whatever is remaining at the ends. I don't know what kind of tension it should have, if any, since both straps on my 2005 are worn/torn.

DeniseKnipp 05-01-2018 12:50 PM

One of the straps on my convertible top has broken. Can this be repaired.

ZERACER 05-01-2018 06:13 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words !!!

maggy55 08-26-2018 01:43 PM

Okay, after some searching I found that these straps a called Convertible Top Pads .The part number is 5170488AA. The oem ones run around $200 for a set. I found these "2004 thru 2008 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Top Pads" for $65 at https://www.topsonline.com/model/Con...Crossfire.html . I'm sure you could make your own a lot cheaper, but if you don't want to deal with it , these seem like a reasonable alternative.

Tom61 11-23-2018 09:02 AM

I am in the process of replacing both straps.
There seems to be a big black rivet on top of the crossbow. or is this some sort of allen bolt? seems a bit big for a rivet......?
has anyone done this before?

Thanks Tom

KeithTexas 11-23-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tom61 (Post 915392)
I am in the process of replacing both straps.
There seems to be a big black rivet on top of the crossbow. or is this some sort of allen bolt? seems a bit big for a rivet......?
has anyone done this before?

Thanks Tom

I haven't tackled that task yet. Could you post some photos, please? Sure would help. Seems like the folks who have completely replaced the top can give a lot of help.

Also, I have a "string" on the passenger side of the top that is not connected on one end. It's obviously torn. I need some help or photos for that, too.

Thanks.

Tom61 11-23-2018 09:44 AM

Hi Keith, No problem.
I have made some photos.
When the job is out of the way I will try to post them along with brief explanation.

by the way- I have found the answer to my question.
Just drilled out the rivets :-)

Tom

JSK 11-23-2018 11:30 AM

I replaced the pads and as I remember the fasteners were 3/16” rivets.

maggy55 11-23-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tom61 (Post 915395)
Hi Keith, No problem.
I have made some photos.
When the job is out of the way I will try to post them along with brief explanation.

by the way- I have found the answer to my question.
Just drilled out the rivets :-)

Tom

Thanks, that would be great.

notqytryt 11-04-2021 07:50 PM

thats what I did sewed in 3.5 inch elastic