Commercial Sponsor Classifieds In order to post in this forum you must be a Commercial Sponsor. If you are not a commercial sponsor you will need to buy a sponsorship to create new threads in this section.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Question

I wasn't looking for a splitter. I was thinking either black/white nylon or SS.
( red nylon would be perfect for me, but I know that would be asking too much )

Old 02-16-2020, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent $400 for an old set of exterior windshield trim/molding/garnish. Since they come off so easily and no one makes an aftermarket version, you are limited on your replacement options. I would love to see someone make these. Stainless steel would be nice, but anything will be great.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor

BeekeeperRob, we do sell replacements for the whole set. We do a reproduction upper centerpiece that we sell with refurbished side piece so the entire set matches. We also sell the Stainless overlays, but they'll only work if you're not missing any of the original pieces. Send us a message if you need some help with something in particular and we'll do what we can to help!

Old 02-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BeekeeperRob
I just spent $400 for an old set of exterior windshield trim/molding/garnish. Since they come off so easily and no one makes an aftermarket version, you are limited on your replacement options. I would love to see someone make these. Stainless steel would be nice, but anything will be great.
If they are attached properly they are tricky to remove as the clips should not be deformed. I think trouble arises when windshields are replaced and the top trim is not secured properly.
The problem is that they get damaged and or not put on correctly, it is not the design.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor
Thumbs up Re: Question

OneHundred80, that very well may be. Most people who purchase replacements say that one day they come out and notice that its gone or that it blew off while driving. It is a good point to make sure that if it is removed for any reason to be sure it is firmly reattached and that all clips are engaged before hitting the highway. Thanks for the input!

Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Velociabstract had a post with photos of when he lost or nearly lost the top trim and the photos showed that the double-sided tape had separated from the clip which had been stuck to the upper trim. The trim clips remained attached to the mating clip which is riveted to the car. The same basic principle applies to the top and side trim.
Some tape was still adhering to the trim and some to the clip, the tape appeared thinner than the regular 3M tape. Maybe this can be obtained from a body shop.

I think that 3M VHB double-sided tape is probably the best tape to use, it comes in various thicknesses and the normal 3M double-sided tape which has a foam core is too thick and will not stand up to the harsh conditions.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-19-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Former Vendor

We recommend 3M Body weld to hold the clips on. Its by far the strongest that we've found. Its a little difficult to work with as its a two part epoxy style adhesive and it needs to have a certain clamping force applied to make it the proper thickness, but it dries to what can only be equated to as hard as a weld. We can get the part number for the material as well as the gun if anyone is interested in it.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I went to a windshield shop and bought a tube of windshield urethane, used coarse sandpaper on the clips and bottom of the trim where clues go, to better adhere.
for applications with 2 different properties like the plastic and metal that shrink and expand differently at increasing and decreasing temps, to have a good adhesive that can give and move.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed and repainted (silver) my windshield trim recently. I found a couple clips loose once I got them off, which must have happened when a windshield was replaced a few years ago. I took the loose clips and used JBWeld epoxy on them. Used it liberally and then clamped each clip to the piece overnight. Also put a bead of epoxy around the remaining clips for future protection when removal may be required. The trim is a little tricky to remove and if not done properly you can loosen the clips from the trim. JB Weld will never give up its grip!

Old 02-19-2020, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Speedy and Johnny both very good ideas. Personally we're not big fans of the JB weld, but the window weld will probably hold on far longer than anything else plus stays a bit pliable. Both good ideas thanks for sharing!