CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   General (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/general/)
-   -   Why are you a "Car Guy/Gal" (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/general/22554-why-you-car-guy-gal.html)

+fireamx 03-11-2008 08:47 AM

Why are you a "Car Guy/Gal"

Chances are, if you're an active member of this forum (and even if you're not active) you're probably a car guy/gal.
Can you figure out, or do you already know what it was that drove you towards this addiction.
What's your story? ;)

apkano 03-11-2008 08:55 AM

Re: Why are you a "Car Guy/Gal"

Simple.....

I live in Detroit, and work for the auto companies.
My whole family (both sides) have or do work for the auto companies since the automobile was invented..
I've been working on cars since I was 6.

I can't help but be a car guy! :D

Opticon 03-11-2008 08:56 AM

My dad was a car guy. Take his obsession with preserving and enjoying a beautiful work of engineering and manufacturing combined with my lust for power and control... And you define my interest in automobiles.

And I'm dangerous with money. :D

Valk 03-11-2008 09:08 AM

When I was only 6 years old I would spend a lot of time at my Uncles house in his garage handing him tools as he worked on his cars. Pulling tranny's, replacing water pumps, alternators, brake shoes, fan belts, radiators, carburetor's, master cylinders, fuel pumps, u-joints, hub bearings, power steering pumps...did I forget anything ?
I was around cars for many years after that as time went on.
He owned lots of cars and fixed cars for locals as well. I always was around different cars.
When I became 16 years old he gave me my first car.
It was a old 1966 AMC Rambler with a straight six and a three on the tree manual trans.
I may add that my dad taught me how to drive when I was only 12 with a 1966 Chevelle manual trans.
My dad and his brother (my uncle) were close and we lived a block away from each other in a remote area of town.
I have owned 22 cars in 30 years and I must say that this Crossfire is the coolest car I have ever had !!
Thanks for this thread and I will be looking forward to the other stories that are posted here. Gary

InfernoRedXfire 03-11-2008 09:36 AM

I grew up in a family of sports car lovers, mainly Mustangs. My parents bought the very first convertible Mustang sold in Dallas in '64 1/2. That became my first car over ten years later. Next car was a Z28. I tend to keep cars a long time so I haven’t had that many of them. The SRT-6 will be a keeper.

RickZ 03-11-2008 09:45 AM

My dad loved Impala converibles, and from the mid 50's to 70's he would buy one and drive it for a year and then trade it in on a new model, probably why he got to be such good friends with the local Chevy dealer. Got to be where he would go to the dealer auctions with him and I got to tag along , I was like a kid in a candy store. Pretty paint and chrome does something to a guy ( Don't even get me started on the smell of burning rubber at the dragstrip ) I can smell it just thinking about it. And back in the day, the new models came out in September and it was quite a production, we literally could not wait to get a sneak peek at the new cars I can remember many times being in the back of the lot after hours just to get a glimpse of them. I guess my dad's love of cars couldn't help but rub off. Plus having 2 brothers and cousins 8 to 10 yrs older that were into drag racing might have had something to do with it. Then when I got my chance in the early 70's my buddies and I would build em and take em to the strip on Saturday night and spend all week fixing what we broke so we could do it again the next weekend. Actually you forge some pretty strong bonds pulling engines, swapping trannys and busting knuckles trying to start header bolts :D Aw the Good Old Days :p

Stogey 03-11-2008 10:02 AM

Growing up, my next door neighbors kid was a real car buff, a few years older than I and parents who were much more financially able. The guy owned most every factory hot rod that hit the market. Mustangs, GTX, Chargers, Porche 914/6 !!! :cool:
We grew up pretty good buds and whenever he would bring home a new rod, he would take me for a test run. Forever bit ! ;)

Just my Dos Centavos !

sandman50 03-11-2008 03:56 PM

All the HOT girls where I grew up loved the guys driving Mustangs.:rolleyes:

Brent 03-11-2008 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
I grew up in a family of sports car lovers, mainly Mustangs. My parents bought the very first convertible Mustang sold in Dallas in '64 1/2. That became my first car over ten years later. Next car was a Z28. I tend to keep cars a long time so I haven’t had that many of them. The SRT-6 will be a keeper.

Just to warn you - folks on this forum have owned an average of 45 cars each. :p

I'm more of an airplane guy than a car guy so it's more accurate to call me a car appreciation guy. But I'm slowly coming around.

maxcichon 03-12-2008 11:24 AM

The car I learned to drive in was a 1958 Austin Healey Mark III 3000 right hand drive (age 14). :rolleyes:
Need I say more?

SRT6 Dan 03-12-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
The car I learned to drive in was a 1958 Austin Healey Mark III 3000 right hand drive (age 14). :rolleyes:
Need I say more?

My second car was a 100-6 58 AH paid $300 for it, I didn't think AH MIII 3000 came out until the 60s ? :cool:

Opticon 03-12-2008 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by sandman50
All the HOT girls where I grew up loved the guys driving Mustangs. :rolleyes:

That's strange... all the "hot GUYS" I knew growing up loved the guys driving mustangs. ;)

maxcichon 03-12-2008 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6 Dan
My second car was a 100-6 58 AH paid $300 for it, I didn't think AH MIII 3000 came out until the 60s ? :cool:

Yep/kinda. It was a '59 (my bad). One of the very few purchased in Lagos. This one by my dear old Mum!

P.S. Good catch. :rolleyes:

sandman50 03-12-2008 03:42 PM

OpticonQuote:
All the HOT girls where I grew up loved the guys driving Mustangs. :rolleyes:

That's strange... all the "hot GUYS" I knew growing up loved the guys driving mustangs. ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Kurts 03-12-2008 05:40 PM

It's the engineering of a car that 'sends' me.
I can't say I'm a true 'car guy' since I'm way too nerdy. I suppose that if I hadn't starting fixing computers for the money that I would've probably gravitated towards them anyways. Who knows....
I did work at the corner garage (when gas stations actually had repair garages attached to them, sigh.....) doing tune-ups, changing tires, fixing exhaust issues & that's what got me interested. From then on it was hanging with my friends who had decent cars & spending some time with them: watching friend Mark replace ANOTHER rear end on his 429 Cobra Jet Torino, helping friend Don install an electric fuel pump on his Duster (& it ultimately cost him his life, his souped Duster, as he ended up driving it off of a bridge near County Stadium in Milwaukee down to the river below), etc. From then on I was hooked.
I suppose that why the Veyron is so darned exciting. Not just the speed but the engineering behind that engine. Good Lord. But, unless I win tonight's Powerball the Bugatti is out, I'll have to settle for a SRT-6, a darn fine automobile; engineered in Germany. Achtung!
I do love this car!

CoupeGirl 03-12-2008 07:50 PM

Only and youngest girl, started with motor bikes at 7, by 10 was taking apart carbs...and remember soaking them in gas...lol, my dad was a collecter of exotics, and in the last 9 years have had 56 cars...the most 5 at a time... Love it so much...it in my blood...

Valk 03-13-2008 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by CoupeGirl
Only and youngest girl, started with motor bikes at 7, by 10 was taking apart carbs...and remember soaking them in gas...lol, my dad was a collector of exotics, and in the last 9 years have had 56 cars...the most 5 at a time... Love it so much...it in my blood...

Hey CoupeGirl,
I look forward to meeting you at the Dragon.
With your strong desire for and interest in cars I think a lot of others here are looking forward to meeting you to.
Drive safely and see ya soon, Gary

Opticon 03-13-2008 06:09 AM

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Methinx you're reading too far into a simple "mustangs are ghey" joke. :cool:

Xfirenorth 03-13-2008 07:27 AM

It's the American way! Next to purchasing your home, your automobile is usually your second most expensive purchase. Normal people, like you and I, enjoy our cars and we find peace when the tach is at red line and the speedometer is pegged. Well maybe in my younger years, but now I drive more carefully wanting to remain in one piece in my elder years.

I've always been a car nut since before I had a driver's license. When you're a kid your escape from parental guidance was when you got in your parents car, ever so carefully backed it out of the driveway, slowly proceeded down the street, and when you were out of their sight your right foot went to the floor to see how fast you could go. If you were fortunate enough to work at a garage in high school, you were able to rotate the tires often so not just the right rear tire would be bald while the other three still had plenty of tread wear left. You use to measure how much rubber you could lay so you could tell your friends. What fun!

Then you finally purchased your own car and watch out. What can we do to make this go faster! Then sooner or later you settle down, get married, have kids, become responsible, and as soon as you can you buy a sporty vehicle to avoid driving the family truckster. Ah yes, nice country America! The best time is when the kids are grown and you go into the "Big Boy's Toys" mode. It doesn't get any better than this!

My name is Bob, and I'm a car nut...

RPM 03-13-2008 08:50 AM

Why am I a car guy, well, let's see.
My dad always had subscriptions to Hot Rod and Motor Trend. I think I learned how to read with those. Got in to Hemming's young also.
We had a 1956 Packard when I was a young child and if there was a car show around, my dad would always take me to it. Loved seeing all of the different cars, chrome, and colors. I was always drawn to the 'outlying' cars, not the most popular ones.

I got bit by the car bug big time.

I always listened to 'oldies' music (still do) and I think cars and Rock & Roll go hand in hand.

Most of my toys were car/truck related. Lots of Matchboxes and Hot Wheels. Guess I'm still kind of that way (looking at the hot rod woody wagon replica on my desk).

Yup, my name is Ryan, and I'm a car nut (and it is only going to get worse ;) ).