CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   General (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/general/)
-   -   Is a self charging electric car possible? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/general/52241-self-charging-electric-car-possible.html)

jerry rosewicz 09-15-2011 08:51 PM

Is a self charging electric car possible?

:confused: I was looking at an electric turbine near Cleveland and I thought, "why couldn't an automotive design engineer come up with a similar roof wind generator, for say the new Nissan Leaf all electric car? What about electric generators on the wheels that charge the car batteries as it is driven. This could eliminate plugging the car in at night.

I am sure that this Idea falls into the catagory of a "perpetual motion" machine, but why can't this be done? Why can't they make a self -charging electric car that does not need an engine or electric charging source to replentish its batteries?

InfernoRedXfire 09-15-2011 08:56 PM

Re: Is a self charging electric car possible?

Originally Posted by jerry rosewicz
:confused: I was looking at an electric turbine near Cleveland and I thought, "why couldn't an automotive design engineer come up with a similar roof wind generator, for say the new Nissan Leaf all electric car? What about electric generators on the wheels that charge the car batteries as it is driven. This could eliminate plugging the car in at night.

I am sure that this Idea falls into the catagory of a "perpetual motion" machine, but why can't this be done? Why can't they make a self -charging electric car that does not need an engine or electric charging source to replentish its batteries?

I have heard this question before and the answer from the automotive expert was that the batteries require more juice than the car alone can generate.

downwardspiral 09-15-2011 08:59 PM

You could use a solar panel to charge a battery, but the charge rate would be slow. It might work if the car were sitting in a lot and a battery was charged by wind passing by.. But using wind while the car is in motion would in essence create more drag (unless wind generation devices were integrated into existing systems to convert drag to motion.. like a spoiler)..

James1549 09-15-2011 09:32 PM

:confused: Why can't they make a self -charging electric car that does not need an engine or electric charging source to replentish its batteries?

I have always been told it takes more energy of one kind to produce a similar amount in another form.

Besides, what electric company in this world would allow that to happen!

James

jerry rosewicz 09-15-2011 11:10 PM

:rolleyes: I actually did a web search and found that someone had a patent on the invention for a roof mounted generator back in 1999! I'll try to post a hot link to click on it.

Propeller wind charging system for ... - Google Patents

I believe they got a 40 percent charge rate on their home made vehicle, so I assume the vehicle would not be able to run on the fan generator for an indefinite time (would stll need to be plugged into a charger)

Edit: A wind powered generator that would be powerful enough to keep the electric car's batteries nearly fully charged, at normal driving speeds would basically be a car that used NO fuel and would appeal to anyone that could afford its high price. One can only dream!

arado 09-16-2011 05:51 AM

water powered car. It has the fuel and oxydizer self contained. I'm working on it. gary:rolleyes:

Kane 09-16-2011 06:54 AM

The demon is friction. Regardless of the closed system, the mathematics of input and out put can never account for friction within the systems. A constant solar recharge might be the only source of energy input that escapes this limitation.

But then the demon would be ugly.

BTW: I believe most hybrids and electric cars recapture some energy during braking. This change in momentum can yield free energy. Well, sorta'.

onehundred80 09-16-2011 08:35 AM

The answer is obvious and simple, all roads should be made going down hill.

Why didn't someone think of that before. :p

koanwrangler 10-05-2011 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The answer is obvious and simple, all roads should be made going down hill.

Why didn't someone think of that before. :p

this comment really needs some recognition...!

BUT YES THERE'S OTHER WAY ,WHY DON'T WE STOP MAKING FUEL CONSUMING CARS AND MANUFACTURE JUST ELECTRIC CARS....!

THAT'S WHAT CONNECTS AMERICANS,....WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT...!...:cool:

rush549 10-05-2011 07:38 AM

Maybe you could charge it with this. :rolleyes:

Atmos Clock

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...5e2f7ecc4df955

oledoc2u 10-05-2011 09:45 PM

I have a friend who worked for Chrysler until he retired recently build a dune buggy electric. He has tried and tried to find a way to charge all those batteries required to move the buggy down the road at speeds up to 65 mph...but, has first fought off the over heating problems, as the motor gets very hot, but has never been able to fully recharge all the batteries at one time... quite a machine to play with around town, but I wouldn't venture too far with it...lol;)

pizzaguy 10-05-2011 10:24 PM

No such thing as free energy.

The energy to move a car down the road has to come from somewhere - simple physics. And it is not just friction that is your enemy - to charge a battery requires MORE energy than what you got out of the battery in the first place!

If you drain, say, 100 amp-hours from a battery, the current required to bring it back to full charge varies from 110 amp-hours to 150 amp-hours depending on battery size. The larger the battery the less efficiency of charge for a given discharge amount.

What I am saying is: The charge efficiency is very good when the battery is heavily discharged, but as the charger brings the battery close to full charge - the efficiency drops greatly. In effect, the overall current required to completely re-charge the battery is usually as much as 30% more than the current the battery delivered to the load. Where are you going to get all that energy?

You are asking for a perpetual motion machine.

pizzaguy 10-05-2011 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
I have always been told it takes more energy of one kind to produce a similar amount in another form.

James

Perhaps at the quantum level, that may not be true. But for any practical application - it certainly is. :cool:

Motors, generators, light bulbs, heating elements - all of these have losses. When you convert one form of energy (electricity) into another (kinetic) like in a motor, you have loss in the form of heat and friction in the bearings and inertia of the motor.

Again, no perpetual motion machine exists.

Pizzaguy
(well, perpetual motion from the mother in law's mouth .... hmmmm, maybe she operates at the quantum level?)

onehundred80 10-05-2011 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by James1549

Besides, what electric company in this world would allow that to happen!

James

I'd have the problem licked if l could find my own personal oil well in the back yard, but my post hole digger only got to four feet and I was pooped already. So I put up a flag pole.

bmorgan 10-05-2011 10:58 PM

I have often wondered if small generators could be put on each wheel of train cars that charge batteries on the train engine. It seems like there would be enough axles on a long train to provide useful energy to the engine. Would this be possible?

pizzaguy 10-05-2011 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
I have often wondered if small generators could be put on each wheel of train cars that charge batteries on the train engine. It seems like there would be enough axles on a long train to provide useful energy to the engine. Would this be possible?

Forget that ---- where were you this weekend? :confused:

onehundred80 10-06-2011 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by bmorgan

That would be like putting a brake on each wheel, have you ever noticed the drop in revs when a regulatotor puts the generator on the battery of an old motorcycle engine.

tunaglove 10-06-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by arado
water powered car. It has the fuel and oxydizer self contained. I'm working on it. gary:rolleyes:

Hell yeah! Hydroxy gas generator. I want to make one and add it to my Ranger. I wonder if the electrolyte will not freeze in -20F temps??

tunaglove 10-06-2011 08:59 AM

Free-Energy Devices, zero-point energy, and water as fuel

Really cool web site.

tunaglove 10-06-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That would be like putting a brake on each wheel, have you ever noticed the drop in revs when a regulatotor puts the generator on the battery of an old motorcycle engine.

Right, that's what re-generative braking is. That's how much force it takes to charge batteries.