Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Wrapped interior door handles - no more getting stabbed by peeling chrome!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Wrapped interior door handles - no more getting stabbed by peeling chrome!

Hi all,

Here's my take on resolving the peeling chrome on the interior door pulls. This fix costs less than $10, and should be a viable long-term solution.

First I taped the inside of the handle with a piece of clear thick packing tape. Then I cut down a steering wheel cover which I picked up on Amazon.
Amazon Amazon
(Hope that's allowed to post?)

Lemonbest C0196 Universal Car Steering Wheel Stitch On Wrap Cover, 106 cm, Black

I chose the perforated model, figuring it would help stretch over the thick handle. I folded the edges down and stitched them in place (you can see it in the pics, maybe I folded down too much?), then applied a baseball stitch on each handle - youtube is your friend here - lots of videos of people lacing on steering wheel covers.

In progress:

Finished product:

Finished product, passenger side:

No more chrome splinters!

Share and enjoy!
-DadsXF

Old 10-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Wrapped interior door handles - no more getting stabbed by peeling chrome!

That is a good solution to the problem and the price is right. I wonder if it would be possible to taper the ends so that it covered the entire chrome surface?

Old 10-03-2018, 01:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Wrapped interior door handles - no more getting stabbed by peeling chrome!

This is a nice and easy fix! Other day I had a friend getting a cut when trying to hop off the car lol! Like Onehundred80 said Maybe by taking the door panel and the door handle you might be able to wrap the whole thing so long as you have a larger steering wheel cover. I will try your method since it is good enough for me!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

fantastic, i have used a piece of electrical tape lengthwise along the back on many cars to hold down the sharp edges in the past. love the leather idea!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Years ago I used the really sticky aluminum furnace tape it works well and stays on a long time, downside is it is really sticky and difficult to apply with the handle still on the door.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Enmanuel09
This is a nice and easy fix! Other day I had a friend getting a cut when trying to hop off the car lol! Like Onehundred80 said Maybe by taking the door panel and the door handle you might be able to wrap the whole thing so long as you have a larger steering wheel cover. I will try your method since it is good enough for me!
There's definitely enough material there to cover both handles entirely, I opted to not remove the door panels or handles to try it (honestly hadn't thought of it), but it would have made life a bit easier to lace them up if had gone that route. I've got an extra piece of the steering wheel cover left over that is 17" long.

For reference, it's just over 4" wide, measuring at 4 1/16" - you have to stretch it when lacing to get it to cover completely. Stretching a non-perforated cover might be more difficult?

--DadsXF

Old 10-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by DadsXF
There's definitely enough material there to cover both handles entirely, I opted to not remove the door panels or handles to try it (honestly hadn't thought of it), but it would have made life a bit easier to lace them up if had gone that route. I've got an extra piece of the steering wheel cover left over that is 17" long.

For reference, it's just over 4" wide, measuring at 4 1/16" - you have to stretch it when lacing to get it to cover completely. Stretching a non-perforated cover might be more difficult?

--DadsXF
Removing the door panels is not an option as the outer portion of the handle has to be off when attaching the door panel, it hides two of the screws that hold the panel on and the door handle itself.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts

Has anyone used Chrome Vinyl Wrap to fix peeling door pull handles? It's very cheap to buy.
Amazon Amazon

Here it is being used in a "Chris Fix" video. Go to 14:09 of the video.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Received 342 Likes on 302 Posts

I like these, a bit more expensive but look very nice and easy install.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREY-STITCH...4AAOSw~vpaCZsi

Old 09-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

The stitching looks nice but I'm not good with small things. I bought these from Corvette Central, 7 years ago and dyed them for an exact color match for my Limited's dark/light gray interior. They velcro back onto themselves and completely encircle the pull. EASY $19.95 Leather handle covers