CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Interior (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/interior/)
-   -   New interior trim (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/interior/41718-new-interior-trim.html)

818.crossfire 04-04-2010 01:06 AM

New interior trim

Just bought an 04 and somebody put this stick on shi* all over the trim panels, now the crap is peeling off and the glue is oozing out the sides. What a joke. Tried to remove the crap today and the glue has seperated from the film and I cannot remove it. So I am looking for new inter trim pieces, OEM would be nice or a classy aftermarket, nothing teen-ager-ish.

Any help?

bmorgan 04-04-2010 01:26 AM

Re: New interior trim

Have you tried using a heat gun and Goo Gone? It should take it off.

818.crossfire 04-04-2010 01:30 AM

tried the heat gun today....goo gone was mentioned from another gentlemen also and i havent tried it yet, thought the heat would do it but it was getting so hot i didnt want to melt the oem parts....will get some goo gone tomorrow.

downwardspiral 04-04-2010 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by 818.crossfire
tried the heat gun today....goo gone was mentioned from another gentlemen also and i havent tried it yet, thought the heat would do it but it was getting so hot i didnt want to melt the oem parts....will get some goo gone tomorrow.

goo gone/ bug and tar remover should do the job

tighed1 04-04-2010 01:33 AM

Would love to see pics of this!

bmorgan 04-04-2010 01:33 AM

Replacing the trim pieces would be very expensive if you have to buy them new. The center bezel alone is $244. $320 if you go to a dealer. The center bezel is item #2 in this illustration. So, you can imagine what the rest would cost. The combination of a heat gun and Goo Gone will take the adhesive off. It may take a bit of time and patience, but it will work.

If you get too frustrated with the Goo Gone, you could always sand them down and repaint them.

https://www.chryslerparts.net/schematics/N/NV04275.gif

818.crossfire 04-04-2010 03:43 AM

9 Attachment(s)
BEFORE AND AFTER BUT NOT QUITE DONE

Well I figured what do I have to lose. Went out and got some goo gone and started tearing into it. Pulled all but the door stickers off and goo goned a brillo pad, laid the goo gone on pretty thick and let sit for 10 minutes.....

After doing this about 5 times I took some pics. The OEM trim looks good, the only bad things about it is that its still has pretty heavy concentrations of glue in places, hard glue. I laid on a pretty thick coat of GG again and its gonna sit overnight. Not sure what to do next if that doesnt work, maybe a real light sandpaper? Also getting in there by those rockers is gonna be a real bitc*

Attachment 46488

Attachment 46489

Attachment 46490

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/IMG_5659.jpg

Attachment 46491

Attachment 46492

Attachment 46493

Attachment 46494

Attachment 46495

Attachment 46496

bmorgan 04-04-2010 03:57 AM

Damn...... Thats some nasty looking mess. I feel for you trying to clean that up. I don't know about pieces like the vent piece. That looks horrible. Good luck with it. Maybe this is a good lesson for anyone thinking about putting those overlays on their car.

818.crossfire 04-04-2010 04:00 AM

that stuff is probably ok for covering damage oem trim, but if you plan on putting it on plan on keeping it on. I will probably put a good 5 hours into the jpb before its all done, and I expect to get 85% of it off. Tomorrow is toothbrush and sandpaper time.

rer1967 04-04-2010 08:22 AM

Wow. the pics were painful to see. Once you finish up with the goo gone I'd recoment following up with a soft cloth dampened with isopropal alcohol to remove the residue. Follow that up after about a half hour later(giving the alcohol time to evaporate) with a conditioning, for the factory painted surfaces, of spray wax. And of course a good condiontioner like turtle wax's formula 2001 for the vinyls. I hope you're able to get the console back to it's original state. Good luck.

Hawk Monster 04-04-2010 10:45 AM

Hope this gets to you before you take sand paper to it. Don't. The finish is too thin. Talk to a body shop to see what they use to remove glue on a repair job.

818.crossfire 04-04-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hawk Monster
Hope this gets to you before you take sand paper to it. Don't. The finish is too thin. Talk to a body shop to see what they use to remove glue on a repair job.

I just saw this now.....I actually took a mild wire brush to it and it didnt help remove the glue after soaking all night in goo gone. I then semi rounded a 1/2 chisel and that took some of the glue off but I caught an edge and removed some of the finish, it was a very small amount but I notice it so I stopped there. Hawk I didnt see this message in time or else I wouldnt of went after it like I did. My patience sometimes gets the best of me :o

I saw somewhere on this site that someone had coated the time with a flat black, and also the rocker switches. it looked fabulous. I am not into half-as* spray painting the trim as I dont want a spray painted look, and I havent seen any overlays that I like (although I havent really looked around). I will continue to search the site. Opinions?

Hawk Monster 04-04-2010 03:12 PM

Call some body shops Monday. There is a 3M product for this. You might even go to the 3M web site and look at their products.

Sorry I was not fast enough to stop you. I think Beaner refinished his center and replaced switches you may want to PM him.

818.crossfire 04-04-2010 03:33 PM

Not your fault bud, thanks for the info. I am going to make some calls tomorrow on it.

onehundred80 04-04-2010 03:53 PM

This certainly should make people think twice before putting this crap on.
Can you think of many things that have adhesive backings that stay where they are put, they usually start to move.
I think this thread should be made a STICKY. :p

818.crossfire 04-04-2010 04:05 PM

Unless the body shops have something magical to take this shi* off, the stuff ruined the OEM dash. I have a beautiful car with a disaster inside....UGH. I am looking at all my options, the inside of the cabin has to look great for me to be happy.

bmorgan 04-04-2010 04:19 PM

I cringe every time I see the picture of the headlight switch/vent area. That is so sad. I will be surprised if that will be salvageable. The painted trim pieces should clean up well, but the dash pieces..... Whew...... I am not so sure. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Hawk Monster 04-04-2010 04:25 PM

Ok I think the glass is half full. Come Monday when you find out the name of the 3M stuff your problems will be over and you will have a beautiful looking console again. Chill you can NOT do anything about it today so enjoy the rest of the day. No sense making your self angry over it. All will turn out OK.

Just close the door on the car and walk away.

bmorgan 04-04-2010 04:37 PM

Good advice Hawk. :D Life is short..... Be happy!

Hawk Monster 04-04-2010 05:04 PM

Just visited the 3M site:

3M's double-sided acrylic foam tapes, introduced in 1978, have forever changed the attachment of body side moldings, nameplates and weatherstrip. 3M also offers structural adhesives and microspheres used in plastics to lighten automotive components.

If they make it, they also sell the stuff to get it off. Relax.