Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

New Crossfire infotainment for 2022

Old 06-04-2022, 06:35 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts
Default New Crossfire infotainment for 2022

My best attempt to bring the Crossfire interior into the current generation of connectivity, and tried to bring a little style to what is a good building block, if not a little bland. There are quite a few things still to be done. New custom floor mats, leather interior update including new seats, door cards, and steering wheel from mienlenkrad in Germany. You’ll also notice I’ve added depth to the very boring plastic dashboard with chrome inserts with corresponding polished aluminum bezels for buttons, switchgear, giving a much more interesting environment. I even got an aluminum cover for the wing mirror selector. The key IMO is to add parts that don’t look stuck on. Something that looks machined. At least to me.

But for now the head unit and redesign of the comms is complete.

Head unit is a Joying 8.8 android tablet. It is unique because you can purchase an optional meter long ribbon cable to put the “brain” anywhere you wish, giving you really good options.

Joying makes several accessories for this head unit. I’ve installed them all. Bluetooth controller which needs to be hard wired to the unit. Front and rear cameras. Dual 4g cell antennas inside the dashboard, as well as a gps antenna also mounted in the dashboard. Finally a hard wired mic, also buried in the dash.

I removed interior body panels in order to route all wires properly, there are no exposed wiring in this install.

In order to perform this mod you need patience and a very delicate hand. A dremel, a proper trim removal kit with plastic tools but also metal picks of various sizes. You’ll also need the AOZ double din kit. You’ll need the aluminum iPad easel which you must mod to use as the brace for the screen. A 3D printer to fabricate the back screen cover to cover the ribbon cable.

Last thing is patience and a clean and well lit working environment. I made sure everything including the illuminated door sill plates were changed to a green hue to match the dashboard lighting. It only looks different in photos because of my garbage cell phone camera. But everything is indeed green.

Can’t really convey how good it feels to have my stereo connected with a 4G SIM card and have all my media, navigation, music, movies, even video games all running on this unit with the coupled controller in the double din area.

The screen does not block your view of the road, when seated the top of the screen bezel is actually level with the base of the windshield.

Once I have the leather and other upgrades for the interior done I’ll post a new series of pictures. Then the second phase starts. I have totally new aero bits nobody has done. All of these are in the spirit of the car. No huge wings or gaudy nonsense. A new grill as well. All as a package to bring some modernity and a tad more aggressiveness to the crossfire. They are definitely in the Brabus/StarTech spirit.

Final upgrade will be an AMG swap.

The following 5 users liked this post by MAYAman:
FaustZAR (09-29-2023), JoeO (07-27-2022), MDKEEHN13 (11-09-2022), nemiro (06-06-2022), Sussudio (07-28-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 06:40 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: New Crossfire infotainment for 2022

Very well done.

The following 2 users liked this post by ZERACER:
MAYAman (06-04-2022), MDKEEHN13 (11-09-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 07:00 AM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks superb! Certainly adds a modern fresh look, with your changes plus additions, to that factory silver interior.

Was trying to work out where that illuminated " C R O S S F I R E " detail sits - is it one of the door cards?

Plus is your JOYING head unit now fully integrated with the car? What additional features do you have setup with it - Cameras, OBD, DAB etc ?

Last edited by F4celess; 07-18-2022 at 07:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 01:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks nice and is the first "original" idea Ive seen done.

MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 09:57 PM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Are you able to share any images from the back side of the display?

How does the flat cable interface look? Clean install?

everything else looks really good

MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 10:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's very well done. Congratulations. I am still 99.8% stock. You wouldn't by any chance be adding after market lighted door sills? I'd be interested in purchasing the stock ones you have if you are going for a slicker new door sill look. PM me please. Thanks.

Last edited by Johnny Versatile; 07-26-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to know where you got that excellent billet ring for the mirror control. I have always disliked how the stock one looks like an afterthought.

MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 11:44 AM
Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

Ditto on the mirror control button & mount, any info appreciated
thank you

Old 09-14-2022, 07:44 AM

Did you modify the bezels to get the double din opening, or is that the dash kit that was made as a group buy years ago?

MAYAman (11-02-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ImmortalCrabman
Did you modify the bezels to get the double din opening, or is that the dash kit that was made as a group buy years ago?
Iirc he stated it’s part of AOZ’s DDIN kit

MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sussudio
Iirc he stated it’s part of AOZ’s DDIN kit
yeah he did. I want one of these kits but I missed out.

MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ImmortalCrabman
yeah he did. I want one of these kits but I missed out.
I’m pretty sure when supply chains are up and moving at 💯 again there will be more made

MAYAman (11-02-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sussudio
I’m pretty sure when supply chains are up and moving at 💯 again there will be more made
I can only hope, I contacted them now I wait and see.

MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 09:32 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BernardHartt
I see your post. I really love it. In any case, I'm looking online for the best business plan to start my new company.
What is your new company going to be specializing in? Anything to do with Crossfires?

Old 11-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by BernardHartt
I see your post. I really love it. In any case, I'm looking online for the best business plan to start my new company.
What is your new company going to be specializing in? Anything to do with Crossfires?
Answer carefully - a finger is hovering over the ban button.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 11-05-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYAman
My best attempt to bring the Crossfire interior into the current generation of connectivity, and tried to bring a little style to what is a good building block, if not a little bland. There are quite a few things still to be done. New custom floor mats, leather interior update including new seats, door cards, and steering wheel from mienlenkrad in Germany. You’ll also notice I’ve added depth to the very boring plastic dashboard with chrome inserts with corresponding polished aluminum bezels for buttons, switchgear, giving a much more interesting environment. I even got an aluminum cover for the wing mirror selector. The key IMO is to add parts that don’t look stuck on. Something that looks machined. At least to me.

But for now the head unit and redesign of the comms is complete.

Head unit is a Joying 8.8 android tablet. It is unique because you can purchase an optional meter long ribbon cable to put the “brain” anywhere you wish, giving you really good options.

Joying makes several accessories for this head unit. I’ve installed them all. Bluetooth controller which needs to be hard wired to the unit. Front and rear cameras. Dual 4g cell antennas inside the dashboard, as well as a gps antenna also mounted in the dashboard. Finally a hard wired mic, also buried in the dash.

I removed interior body panels in order to route all wires properly, there are no exposed wiring in this install.

In order to perform this mod you need patience and a very delicate hand. A dremel, a proper trim removal kit with plastic tools but also metal picks of various sizes. You’ll also need the AOZ double din kit. You’ll need the aluminum iPad easel which you must mod to use as the brace for the screen. A 3D printer to fabricate the back screen cover to cover the ribbon cable.

Last thing is patience and a clean and well lit working environment. I made sure everything including the illuminated door sill plates were changed to a green hue to match the dashboard lighting. It only looks different in photos because of my garbage cell phone camera. But everything is indeed green.

Can’t really convey how good it feels to have my stereo connected with a 4G SIM card and have all my media, navigation, music, movies, even video games all running on this unit with the coupled controller in the double din area.

The screen does not block your view of the road, when seated the top of the screen bezel is actually level with the base of the windshield.

Once I have the leather and other upgrades for the interior done I’ll post a new series of pictures. Then the second phase starts. I have totally new aero bits nobody has done. All of these are in the spirit of the car. No huge wings or gaudy nonsense. A new grill as well. All as a package to bring some modernity and a tad more aggressiveness to the crossfire. They are definitely in the Brabus/StarTech spirit.

Final upgrade will be an AMG swap.

WOW. This is really amazing. And how you figured all of this out is amazing. I assume it must be many $$

MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 03:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yorxs
I would love to know where you got that excellent billet ring for the mirror control. I have always disliked how the stock one looks like an afterthought.
I found this website strangely it’s Korean but it’s what you might be looking for.
https://koreanautoimports.com/search...ection=product

MAYAman (11-17-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular

I also found this website that has speaker and stereo mods for the R170 SLK. Like adding tweeters the A-Pillars and also adding I think it’s a sub or two in the passenger footwell. I remember a guy on the German XF forum did something similar and just added full range speakers in the rear.
Thought this might interest some. https://www.dachmodule.de/category-4...edes-SLK-R170/

Old 11-17-2022, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by F4celess
Looks superb! Certainly adds a modern fresh look, with your changes plus additions, to that factory silver interior.

Was trying to work out where that illuminated " C R O S S F I R E " detail sits - is it one of the door cards?

Plus is your JOYING head unit now fully integrated with the car? What additional features do you have setup with it - Cameras, OBD, DAB etc ?
fully integrated, front and rear cameras and dvr, radio, music hard drive, navigation, phone, etc. love it.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by yorxs
Its actually an aluminum machined cover I’ve had for 25 years for a BMW 535i. I was looking through my parts drawer and was like “oh, this looks interesting“. 😆😂

it fit perfectly with a little double sided 3M tape.

Last edited by MAYAman; 11-17-2022 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New Crossfire infotainment for 2022