Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Sun Visor

Old 05-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun Visor

My driver side sun visor had something pop inside it when I put it down recently. Now it just hangs there and does not stay up. I took it off and looked inside but couldn't see much of anything. Is there a fix for this? If not, any recommendations on where I can buy a new sun visor to replace it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Sun Visor

You could try one of those little blue pills.....

That is all I got for ya.... I very rarely use my visors so they are working fine...

Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

OEM replacement from Chrysler or a little velcro button from Home Depot. Your Choice.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazeRedXfire
My driver side sun visor had something pop inside it when I put it down recently. Now it just hangs there and does not stay up. I took it off and looked inside but couldn't see much of anything. Is there a fix for this? If not, any recommendations on where I can buy a new sun visor to replace it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Your mistake was trying to swing it over to the side window.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

Speaking of.....what's up with that? Mercedes thing? Chopped roof & windows on this car? I've never seen another car with visors that didn't pivot to provide side window protection.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudracer
Speaking of.....what's up with that? Mercedes thing? Chopped roof & windows on this car? I've never seen another car with visors that didn't pivot to provide side window protection.
Maybe all roads in Germany go from East to West.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular

They did prior to unification.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 PM

Same thing happened to me. The plastic pin and sleeve are shaped like a cam lobe and the sleeve probably cracked. I have tried slightly enlarging the pin with electrical tape, which worked to hold it up, but failed after my wife got in and lowered it.

Unfortunately, Chrysler has discontinued this part and I have not been able to locate any NOS. Some salvage yards have them and prices vary. However, the tan color is next to impossible to find. Ah, the joys of owning a rare car, with the rarest color option, from a dead car company.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by crcarch
from a dead car company.

True, so true.....

Old 09-06-2017, 01:15 PM

My driver side visor has broken. I heard the pin 'pop' and it's hanging in down position just as described. Anyone have a part #? Thanks!

Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crcarch
Same thing happened to me. The plastic pin and sleeve are shaped like a cam lobe and the sleeve probably cracked. I have tried slightly enlarging the pin with electrical tape, which worked to hold it up, but failed after my wife got in and lowered it.

Unfortunately, Chrysler has discontinued this part and I have not been able to locate any NOS. Some salvage yards have them and prices vary. However, the tan color is next to impossible to find. Ah, the joys of owning a rare car, with the rarest color option, from a dead car company.
Just find any color you can find, then use Duplicolor vinyl paint in complimentary color and do both.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced my beige visors with black ones from an R170 SLK , they are exactly the same pieces, just black.
i got em on ebay, they do appear there occasionally , i think i paid $50 for them.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

There are several sun visors currently listed on eBay. Good advice looking for the SLK230 or SLK320 parts. Essentially, same car. I'd repaint everything except the slide over the mirror. That could be a PITA! I'd probably use a Color Bond product to repaint the visor. Just think it's better than the product from Duplicolor.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-08-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
There are several sun visors currently listed on eBay. Good advice looking for the SLK230 or SLK320 parts. Essentially, same car. I'd repaint everything except the slide over the mirror. That could be a PITA! I'd probably use a Color Bond product to repaint the visor. Just think it's better than the product from Duplicolor.

I even painted the mirror slide cover, no issues. I never tried the Color Bond product, where do they sell it?

Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't guarantee this won't break something on your car, but at least on my visors, the attachment arms just wiggle and pull out of the visor. I assume that is what you have already done when you said you looked inside.
Attached is a picture of one of the attaching arms. Notice there is a part of the rod that looks like it has a rectangular area with some black smudges, that is a flattened area of the arm. I'm guessing that is what contacts something like a lever that touches that flat spot to provide the little click when it is in each "clicked" position.

Do both the mounting arms look like this, or is one possibly broken off ?

Notice there also is a tiny tab sticking out of the arm almost at the tip. I'm not sure what that piece might be for, but maybe that also contacts something to hold it in place.
Maybe you can look at both of the attaching arms if you pull them out and see if the tab sticks out at the end, or if that is broken off.
If one has a tab, and the other doesn't, you can try reversing the arms and seeing if you can get each side to click into a locked position. Even though the arms are mirror-images, you can try them in either side to see what the symptom is.
Both sides should provide the clicking action.

If those little tabs are broken off the tip, that might be the problem. Or if the arm broke off, and half of it is stuck inside the visor. Otherwise whatever is broken would be inside the visor mechanism. Maybe you will be lucky and it's just the mounting arm that's broken.
Let me know if that's the case, that one or both of the arms are broken.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_6161.jpg (69.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I even painted the mirror slide cover, no issues. I never tried the Color Bond product, where do they sell it?
Here's a link to their website: CLICK.

In my case, I found the Dark Slate Gray interior paint on Amazon:
CLICK CLICK

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-09-2017 at 05:43 PM.