Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

OEM cup holder repair

Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OEM cup holder repair

Ever since I bought my Crossie in jun 2011, my cup holder suffered a spring failure, causing it to sag-in at the front when stowed away. Also, it felt loose thru it's sweep motion. While I performed the Paddle Shift Mod, I decided to have a closer look at this cup holder and see what I could do about it with what I had available around the shop.

Once I had the center console on the bench, I proceded to remove the cup holder(4 torx screws). I noticed it had a sort of semi cercular rack but nothing was meshed with it. so I went back in the car looking for a part that might have something related to it. Right next to the emergency brake pivot point was a tiny gear stuck to the floor pan by what appeared to be dried out coke sirup! Bingo! this tiny gear is what I would discribe as a "viscous drive gear" giving the smooth steady speed of deployment to your cup holder. I proceded to snap the gear back into the cup holder assy. However, I could not find any evidence of a broken spring anywhere.

In order to make the cup holder sit flush with the center console, I fabricated a mechanical stop, using a piece of 3/4" s/s strapping about 2.5" long and a screw to hold it in place. The strapping fits into a slot(cannot be seen on pics) at the top and secured at the bottom using a screw. So now, instead of pressing at the front to spring deploy it, I press at the back.

Cost of repair: $0 + your time.
Purpose: maintaining the OEM look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0447.JPG (2.58 MB, 160 views)
100_0448.JPG (2.40 MB, 138 views)
100_0449.JPG (2.33 MB, 128 views)
100_0450.JPG (2.34 MB, 128 views)
The following users liked this post:
Benrycuh (05-31-2023)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OEM cup holder repair

I'm interested in finding detailed information on how I get the silly cup holder removed. It appears the spring may have broke on my cup holder. . Hubby claims no knowledge of how it broke while under his control, ha ha. I'm hoping there are some written steps or a schematic/drawing that will get me started on it's removal. I'd like to keep it original without replacing it with the alternate holder. Thanks for the help!!!

QUOTE=turbomar;663984]Ever since I bought my Crossie in jun 2011, my cup holder suffered a spring failure, causing it to sag-in at the front when stowed away. Also, it felt loose thru it's sweep motion. While I performed the Paddle Shift Mod, I decided to have a closer look at this cup holder and see what I could do about it with what I had available around the shop.

Once I had the center console on the bench, I

remove the cup holder(4 torx screws). I noticed it had

a sort of semi cercular rack but nothing was meshed with it. so I went back in the car looking for a part that might have something related to it. Right next to the emergency brake pivot point was a tiny gear stuck to the floor pan by what appeared to be dried out coke sirup! Bingo! this tiny gear is what I would discribe as a "viscous drive gear" giving the smooth steady speed of deployment to your cup holder. I proceded to snap the gear back into the cup holder assy. However, I could not find any evidence of a broken spring anywhere.

In order to make the cup holder sit flush with the center console, I fabricated a mechanical stop, using a piece of 3/4" s/s strapping about 2.5" long and a screw to hold it in place. The strapping fits into a slot(cannot be seen on pics) at the top and secured at the bottom using a screw. So now, instead of pressing at the front to spring deploy it, I press at the back.

Cost of repair: $0 + your time.
Purpose: maintaining the OEM look.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine
I'm interested in finding detailed information on how I get the silly cup holder removed. It appears the spring may have broke on my cup holder. . Hubby claims no knowledge of how it broke while under his control, ha ha. I'm hoping there are some written steps or a schematic/drawing that will get me started on it's removal. I'd like to keep it original without replacing it with the alternate holder. Thanks for the help!!!
Here's a link to Replacing the Cup Holder with the Storage Bin. The document will show you what you need.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...placed-bin.pdf

There is a Sticky Thread under the TSB's & How-To Articles section. Look for Index of Crossfire Problems & Repirs. In it you'll find a lot of information on how to fix and/or repair things on the Crossfire.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-09-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:53 AM

In your husbands defense , sometimes they just explode on their own. (But , sometimes its an elbow).

Old 09-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Old 09-10-2017, 01:31 AM

Weeeellll , I like that better than the factory action. At least that doesn't open every time you lay your arm down on it.