Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Can I install a new ignition and keep the old ecu?

Old 12-19-2017, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I install a new ignition and keep the old ecu?

I have a 2004 crossfire limited 6 speed manual. The igniting is jerry rigged and I have a new ignition and ecu. I'm confident enough to install the ignition but no one will install the ecu in my area. Can I just use the new ignition with the old ecu?

Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Can I install a new ignition and keep the old ecu?

Originally Posted by Radley
I have a 2004 crossfire limited 6 speed manual. The igniting is jerry rigged and I have a new ignition and ecu. I'm confident enough to install the ignition but no one will install the ecu in my area. Can I just use the new ignition with the old ecu?
Radley, Your question needs clarification! You do not seem to know what you are getting into. Please read this post " Sticky Ignition Key Fix". That will help you a lot. Then use the search box and try searching for replacing the Skreem and ring also search ECU. You will find a lot of information in those search results and get an idea as to how the ECU, Skreem work together and allows you to start the car. After you have digested that info, post your questions again and then someone on this forum can help you. If you proceed as you seem to indicate in your question you will not get your car to start.

I think the answer to your question is NO. You can not swap the new parts you have into your car and make it run.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

YOu can change the ignition switch without messing with the ECU. It's the SKREEM and ECU that are the problem, they are VIN specific.

On the other hand, it sounds like you might have a car with one of those aftermarket "Keyless" or "Remote Start" things installed. If that is the case, well, based on the two guys' I've tried to help - good luck. While those systems can be a problem, they also can work well - if not for the HORRIBLE installations done by "professional shops".... But you are right to correct it, working on a "no start" issue on these cars is bad enough without aftermarket wiring abortions under the dash.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To correct myself I'm wondering if I can install a new ignition cylinder assembly as that is the only broken part without needing to also install the new ecu and skreem. I currently have all previously listed parts, but haven't been able to find a mechanic in Massachusetts that will go anywhere near the ecu. At this point if I could install the assembly alone I would be confident in doing so properly, but I wouldn't want to mess with the ecu or skreem myself. Also if the answer is no, does anyone know a mechanic near Framingham hopefully that could install everything?

Old 12-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

This link should show you how to remove, replace or repair your ignition switch. print out the step by step for yourself or your mechanic.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ru-2006-a.html

Old 12-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Click on UPDATE, VER. 5 in post # 1 for the step by step . It is good to read the entire link when you have time.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:34 PM

Radley, post 4 makes sense. Yes you can get your car started and running just fine, IF you only change the ignition switch. Be sure to read the link provided by Zeracer in post 5. " Sticky Ignition Key Fix" You will have to exchange the tumblers in your current switch into your new switch so your key will work. If you must use a new key try to sychronize/program it first. If that doesn't work then check with Needswings for a new key. It will be best if you can use the key you now have !

Old 12-20-2017, 09:20 AM

I should clarify: After reading my previous post I do not want you to be confused. When I used the word key I am talking about both the metal blade key and the plastic FOB as a unit. The electronics/chip within your plastic FOB allows your car to start through the Skreem communicating with the ECU. The round ring explained in the Sticky Ignition Key Fix is the antenna which allows your key/Fob to communicate with the Skreem and the ECU. SO, the Fob you are currently using must remain with your Xfire so it will start after the ignition switch is changed. If you would change out the metal key blade in the Fob vice the tumblers in the ignition then your mechanical door lock would not work. As I said in the previous post, the best solution is to change the tumblers in your new ignition switch. Take the tumblers from your old switch and place them into your new ignition switch so you can continue to use the same key and Fob you are using now.

And check that spring loaded pin has been removed from the ignition switch you are putting into your car as per "Sticky Ignition Key Fix" or you will develop the sticky problem and be back in there to fix it sometime in the future.

Last edited by zip439; 12-20-2017 at 09:24 AM.