Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Cigarette lighter socket replacement

Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter socket replacement

Does anyone have step by step instructions to access the Cigarette Lighter socket?

It appears the radio needs to be removed or the right side kick panel but I have not found anything beyond that information.

I went to the Chrysler dealer and they were no help.

I am needing to do this for a power supply for my cell phone. Perhaps there is a work around and I could install something in the console storage or glove box.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Cigarette lighter socket replacement

Originally Posted by bruce001
Does anyone have step by step instructions to access the Cigarette Lighter socket?

It appears the radio needs to be removed or the right side kick panel but I have not found anything beyond that information.

I went to the Chrysler dealer and they were no help.

I am needing to do this for a power supply for my cell phone. Perhaps there is a work around and I could install something in the console storage or glove box.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
I have done this but it is not easy. I had installed the paddle kit and that meant I had to saw through the bridge piece of the console. That made it easier and this is the instructions after that.These are the instructions I did for another project.

"The radio and its bezel, and the gear shift bezel has been taken out of the center front console, the last item to come out was the ash tray unit. I thought I knew how to remove it - wrong. The screws at the rear of the console holding it down were removed so that both sides of the console could be sprung apart, this was easy as the bridge connecting the two sides at the rear between where the screws go had been sawed off when I added the LM21 paddle shift kit. With the sides sprung the unit could be jiggled straight out. The gear shift lever has to be moved to D. Oddly the plug for the lighter is slid sideways to remove it, a black part remains on top of the white part, confusing."
You might be able to spring the sides of the console without the sawn bridge and rear screw removal, the two screws on the console just in front of the ash tray will have to be unscrewed. The bridge at the rear of the console is not critical just saw in the center, the screws will hold it in place.

This is someone else's instructions. CLICK
I think my way is easier as long as you can spring the sides of the console.

How to remove the shifter bezel, you will have to remove the gear shift ****, the bottom part of the **** unscrews and you pull the **** up and off.
The plastic removal tool is used on autos and manual transmission, the manual is shown. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-15-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its looking more and more like this is a big job and maybe it would be easier for a workaround of wiring a lighter socket in line somewhere to charge my cell phone. I am guessing the glove box would be a good location since i don't haul gloves around in Florida.

Has anyone done something similar?

Mr B

Old 02-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Its looking more and more like this is a big job and maybe it would be easier for a workaround of wiring a lighter socket in line somewhere to charge my cell phone. I am guessing the glove box would be a good location since i don't haul gloves around in Florida.

Mr B
It is not a job that should be relished, work around it if you can. Some have wired up a socket in the console cubby.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Mr B

I believe there is a plug-in USB charging thingie that would just plug into the cigg lighter. Only thing, it'll shut off when you turn off the car. I think it is a good thing as you shouldn't leave anything charging without you there (remember the batteries exploding).