New England Forum Serving CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT

Maserati $3500

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maserati $3500

Golden Colorado
GOLDEN - It is hoped the federal so-called "Cash for Clunkers" program will take as many as 800,000 older modeled gas guzzlers off U.S. highways. The program is designed to remove less fuel efficient vehicles from the road and spur the economy through car sales.

Go Subaru in Golden has seen the positive effects of the Cash for Clunkers program. They've taken in nearly 50 clunkers since the program began.
"Probably half our deals right now are Cash for Clunkers," Billy Mills, general sales manager for Go Subaru, said.
Most of the clunkers Go Subaru has taken in through the program are predictable. Many are large SUVs and pickup trucks. Some are in pretty bad shape.
"Ninety-nine percent of them are clunkers," Wes Guthrie, a salesperson at Go Subaru, said. "I took somebody's car in the other day that their door wouldn't shut anymore, and they were using a bungee to shut the door."
Then there was the "clunker" a man drove onto the lot that surprised everyone.
"I was like, 'Wow, that's a cool car,'" Guthrie said of the 1985 Maserati BiTurbo.
The Italian sports car is in near-mint condition with its odometer reading a mere 18,480 miles.
"It is kind of one of those cars where you go, 'Wow. Can't believe that one is a clunker,'" Guthrie said.
But it is. It qualified for the program and the owner received $3,500 for it that he used toward a new Subaru Impreza.
The interior of the Maserati is pristine, with all leather, suede and wood trim. The issues with the car were under the hood.
"He said that he could drive it down the road for about 10 minutes, and then he had to call his mechanic," Guthrie said of the owner's experience.
The Maserati owner had been trying for many months to sell the car without success. His asking price for the car was roughly the same as the $3,500 he got from Cash for Clunkers.
"So he got what he was asking for it," Mills said. "He just got it from the government instead of a customer."
While the Maserati stands out in the lot full of clunkers, it will suffer the same fate. The car will have its engine destroyed and the car will be crushed.
"Its one of those cars where you go, 'Wow, I wish it didn't have to be crushed, but unfortunately it does,'" Guthrie said.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Re: Maserati $3500

As it was in the original Bolshevik revolution, sometimes the good is lost in the struggle to clear out the bad, so we can have the New World Order.

BTW, over 338,659 applications for Cash For Klunkers have been filed. Total if approved $2,099,685,800.00. But don't worry, even though the dealers are on the hook for these deals, our government is fast prosessing the claims. They are up to 2% so far.

We won't soon run out of money because they are rejecting 4 of every 5 claims. So far $419,947,000.00 of our childrens money spent.
This so Government Motors can put the unions back to work.

Dealers love the program! Yeah

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-17-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Maserati $3500

yeah, to put this into personal perspective, my wife purchased a car under this program on July 31. the car has been sitting on the lot since then awaiting Gov't approval. I cannot believe how messed up this process is. even by Government standards. God help us all if they ever get their mitts on our health insurance. This government couldn't scratch it a$$ with a fistful of fishhooks.

There are a number of folks who think this admin is the end all to be all. well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad. the dealer HAD to have my turn-in, sitting in their lot when the papers went in. Thank goodness this wasn't my only car. There is no help line, we'll there is, but it is only a recorded message. there's no one to talk to, there is no confirmation number, it just goes into a black hole awaiting a clerk to process it. How stupid is this???? basically, their responsiveness is as equally bad as it was for Katrina. So their track record would be different for what program they implement? Not.