CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   How we took a bold risk and joined the Xfire family (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/new-member-introductions/73020-how-we-took-bold-risk-joined-xfire-family.html)

Kowmander 11-11-2015 05:02 PM

How we took a bold risk and joined the Xfire family

Howdy!
My 16YO son, Max, has not been happy with the 2005 Expedition we furnished him for a school ride (paid $1000, 218k, was my office's field-guy truck), as it was large, sloppy, and scary to park for a n00b driver. Fine, he has achieved a paying after-school job, let him sell the thing and buy something he will love and care for. (Lord, I hated the 1980 Celica my father forced me to buy, so I relate).

So we shop CL (it's a family hobby) and discover a 2004 gray auto coupe 20 minutes away with 193k for $3k. The seller mentioned the sticky key fix, so I discover this fine forum and the wealth of information (and obsession) within. I did find a Crossfire for sale elsewhere with 240k (and we shopped beater Mercedes at one point, test driving a 1977 W115 with 240k for $1300), so the mileage didn't scare me.

The seller commuted to Chicago daily with it (he bought a Volt for future 80-mile round trip use), so it was maintained. But the windshield was cracked, windshield trim was in the garage (it blew off at some point), the headliner was in the garage (removed for sagging, looking at steel and wires on test drive), rusting scrape on the driver door, broken fog light, no less than 7 CEL codes (including dreaded P0410), and it clunked on acceleration (he noted bad rear bushings). But the exhaust note, style, seating comfort were intoxicating. We left to add up parts prices and consider the possible work ahead before making an offer. [edit, detective work has confirmed seller is forum user MRGR3YXF, see https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ives-fine.html Hope he has luck selling here.]

A few days later, noted a 2004 gray auto coupe with 174k in Milwaukee for $2500 ("needs new ignition, must be towed"). A call to the seller clarified that an attempted theft had destroyed the ignition cylinder about 4 weeks ago. His mechanic had taken apart the lower dash but wasn't able to fix it. He found parts on eBay for $350 (later found the listing, it was an ignition lock housing and cylinder with plain key) but was told it was $1200 to reset computer, and he didn't have that money.

My profuse thanks to this forum - I knew exactly how the transponder/antenna system worked, and how to take apart the ignition lock housing! I hatched a plan - pull the housing, zip-tie the fob to the antenna, remove the ignition switch and start directly with screwdriver. When the seller dropped the price to $2k the next day, we had to claim this bargain - knowledge is power (and profitability!). So up on a Saturday at 6AM to load the Expedition with tools (including drawbar and U-haul trailer rental location, in case we have to do this the hard way).

Two hours north to the north side of Milwaukee (burned-out and dilapidated homes on this block indicated it was not a friendly tourist location, but cold and early reduced the visible population) and to the car in the alley (owner wisely backed the car into the driveway before mishap). The car wasn't exactly "mint" as the seller claimed (foot-long scratch down to the metal on the right front. missing driver inside pull handle, foggy headlights, filthy) but it was straight, with no rust, oil done by Mobil1 within the last few months, decent tread on cheapo tires (Hercules Ironman iMove), so we traded cash for title, and he went back in the warm house (on a sunny 40* November morning).

And we got to work. Pulled all connections from the housing, center-punched the housing lock pin and started drilling but progress was VERY slow. Took another look a the lock cylinder - hmm, only two tumblers left - the thief had give us a head start. So I spent the next 45 minutes drilling out the rest of the cylinder. Hmm, now it turns 45*...with no tumblers. So I broke out the rest of the cylinder (wasn't afraid of wrecking the housing, thief has already done that) and see the cam that pulls the steering pin and the trans parking lock...but even a screwdriver won't turn that cam past 45*. Conclusion: the STICKY KEY problem! Ironic that it had this malady on top of theft damage.

Back to that accursed pin. I did see a youTube vid where a fella had instead drilled the black clamp bracket at a diagonal, upward angle to tie in to the clamping slot. I did so, and three or four 1/4" drill holes made a slot and the housing twisted right and free! #Winning! Steering could turn, I removed the ignition switch from the housing (3 x Philips crews) and prepared to start. But the slotted hole in the switch seemed to be plastic, and I had only brought tiny screwdrivers (doh!). So I used said tiny screwdrivers to take the black plastic back from the silver metal switch (assuming there was a stronger screw slot within) and ... DISASTER! Now I was looking at a backing plate with (7) sets of contacts, an intermediate white plastic cam, a metal top spring cap, and the empty housing...and no clue how it was aligned.

This setback required a mental and physical break (and I had to pee, which does NOT aid concentration), so we dashed to the nearest McD for edibles and warmth. We also came to the aid of a pair of hungry locals at their request (it was THAT kind of neighborhood). Looking carefully at the features of the cam, backplate, and housing, we we able to logic how to assemble. Next stop was the nearest O'Reilly (hmm, bars on all windows, wonder that that means) for a BFS that would fit the slot. All the tool cases were locked, but the staff opened the case and let me try until I had one the fit - and the switch felt RIGHT. I could feel off, accessory, run, and springy start positions. Hope sprung again!

Back at the car, snap the switch to the wiring and twist, and the car started (after not running or being charged for four weeks) in less than a second of cranking! There were several jumps for joy, hearing the smooth idle and checking gauges. Hmm, airbag light, lamp-out indicator...otherwise, all good. Zip tie'd the key/antenna under the dash, zip-tie the lower dash in place so I can use the pedals (hey, why fully assemble when I'll need to install a replacement ignition lock housing later?)...let's roll out. Easy does it down the broken alley on these low-profile tires - I hear a strange chuffing that varies with RPM - like an exhaust leak? No visible problems under the hood - and my phone rings, "You got it started? How?" the seller was desperate to know. I explained the fob transponder & antenna and screwdriver-starting to be courteous. He audibly shrugged - he had his money - and we hit the highway. Vroom! Spoiler goes schwing!

I wanted to reach a well-traveled highway exit (south of the urban area) to add fresh high-octane fuel and check her over. Some vibration at 60MPH that I put down to tire balance or slightly bent rim. Tire pressures were fine, so we leapt in again and headed south. So the car is stiffly sprung, tracks like an arrow, the seats are amazing, and the side view mirror pretty damn good - I could see behind the trailing Expedition well enough to guide the both of us through safe lane changes (it was a long way for a 16YO driver). I got intermittent coolant level warnings (glad I read the owner manual pdf here before starting out so I recognized the symbol) so I took it easy and left the precise cruise control on 68MPH. And I fell in love with the exhaust note every time I left a cash toll both (wife forbade me from blowing through express with no plates..am I the only one so tempted?). Noted the heater fan switch unresponsive, but plenty of heat. No power at cigar lighter.

We swapped vehicles 30 miles from home (I was confident at that point that no severe emergencies would occur, and what kid wouldn't want to drive his own car?) and after we arrived, both older son and wife each HAD to each take it around the block. Then Max HAD to take it to show to a friend, so we ran through the quick wash to knock remaining leaves and dirt off...and then HAD to visit two other friends, so at this point the car had run for 3 hours straight with no hiccups. Whoops, here's the CEL. Stopped at Autozone on the way back and he got his first taste of the expense of car ownership - $55 for new Bosch Icon wipers (old were trashed) and light bulbs (three side markers and one front were out...I guess the PO didn't have the forum or manual to help him figure out how!).

Next day was spent scrubbing inside & out, his friends even dropped by to help. Discovered a lovely rodent nest of wood mulch under the right side relay box next to the battery, removed with long needle-nose pliers. Then applied leaf blower and under-hood scrub to aid future maintenance. CEL Was P0410, so I cleared it, anticipating future troubleshooting. Found a 2001 SLK column on eBay with the ignition lock housing attached and a plain key, offered $70 and was accepted ($10 shipping), gotta wait a few days to ship from CA. He needs to sell Expedition so we can swap the plates, so we have a week or two at least to get our girl into fighting shape. Only problem is...

Now I'm smitten. Anyone have a manual roaster for similar dough?:rolleyes:

TL,DR - found a 2004 auto coupe with bad ignition lock 2 hours away (with 174k for $2k), and gratefully used forum know-how to drive it home.

Mackel 11-11-2015 05:14 PM

Re: How we took a bold risk and joined the Xfire family

You're a cool Dad, Brian. You and Max will have a lot of fun with this exotic little machine.
Welcome to the forum!

pioneer4x4 11-11-2015 06:43 PM

Excellent, excellent post. sounds like the start of a Wheeler Dealers episode.

ala_xfire 11-11-2015 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4 (Post 852437)
Excellent, excellent post. sounds like the start of a Wheeler Dealers episode.

Where's Ed China when you need him ???????????

steps 11-11-2015 08:58 PM

Don't have that much time to read your BOOK but welcome to the site.

Da55id 11-12-2015 08:46 AM

I really enjoyed your post! Looking forward to the pictures of your Crossfire resurrection.

Padgett 11-12-2015 09:58 AM

Sounds like you are doing great and building up a tool collection. Are encountering a common problem, once you have one they long for company.

The stick shift is fun but the ratios are a bit strange. I usually start in 2nd.

My experience with cars like this is that in the end they al cost the same. You can just pay up front and enjoy immediately or pay less intially then find out why.

I usually pick up a car with a tow dolly and a winch but then am usually alone.

pps Think of "reality" shows on Velocity as comedy. Given the amount I know is wrong usually wonder about what I don't know.

kingdavid54 11-12-2015 11:20 AM

welcome to the family, its clear that you have what it takes to be a crossfire owner , driving it is only half the fun, the other half comes from learning about this unique gem of automotive design and technology.
I have an 05 alabaster white roadster n/a 5 speed Limited with the tuxedo interior, it has over 100,000 miles on it now and I Drive it everyday back and forth to work, at 10 years old she's still a head turner everywhere I go.everything you need to know about this automotive work of art is here on this forum. looking forward to reading more about your future endeavors.

Speedy4x4 11-12-2015 11:42 AM

Congratulations on the purchase, your son will love it.
Last time I checked tire rack still had clearance on good winter tires, I 285/35 continue dws on stock rims, last 2 years 275/35 gmax and a couple tractor weights in back, was surprize how it did in winter on my long weekly drives (2-4 hours a week)
That or 11.6 mpg in my dodge.

Speedy4x4 11-12-2015 11:46 AM

Yup PirelliWINTER SOTTOZERO RUN FLAT
$173 apiece 275/35R19

Kowmander 11-12-2015 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Appreciate all the well wishes, even if our introduction was a novella :rolleyes:
Posted pics to album - Max took a zoo photography class, so some of the shots are a bit artsy...never mind the garbage can or my beater minivan in the background! As you can see, not too shabby after cleansing love, except that damn right front scratch.
Toodles.

pioneer4x4 11-13-2015 01:50 AM

Btw, I love the avatar pic. And every time I hear of Joliet, I think of The Blues Brothers and "Joilet Jake"

maxcichon 11-13-2015 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kowmander (Post 852528)
Appreciate all the well wishes, even if our introduction was a novella :rolleyes:
Posted pics to album - Max took a zoo photography class, so some of the shots are a bit artsy...never mind the garbage can or my beater minivan in the background! As you can see, not too shabby after cleansing love, except that damn right front scratch.
Toodles.

And the headlights. You can fix those.

Anything for a fellow Max......:D

Billto 11-13-2015 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kowmander (Post 852430)
Howdy!
My 16YO son, Max, has not been happy with the 2005 Expedition we furnished him for a school ride (paid $1000, 218k, was my office's field-guy truck), as it was large, sloppy, and scary to park for a n00b driver. Fine, he has achieved a paying after-school job, let him sell the thing and buy something he will love and care for. (Lord, I hated the 1980 Celica my father forced me to buy, so I relate).

So we shop CL (it's a family hobby) and discover a 2004 gray auto coupe 20 minutes away with 193k for $3k. The seller mentioned the sticky key fix, so I discover this fine forum and the wealth of information (and obsession) within. I did find a Crossfire for sale elsewhere with 240k (and we shopped beater Mercedes at one point, test driving a 1977 W115 with 240k for $1300), so the mileage didn't scare me.

The seller commuted to Chicago daily with it (he bought a Volt for future 80-mile round trip use), so it was maintained. But the windshield was cracked, windshield trim was in the garage (it blew off at some point), the headliner was in the garage (removed for sagging, looking at steel and wires on test drive), rusting scrape on the driver door, broken fog light, no less than 7 CEL codes (including dreaded P0410), and it clunked on acceleration (he noted bad rear bushings). But the exhaust note, style, seating comfort were intoxicating. We left to add up parts prices and consider the possible work ahead before making an offer. [edit, detective work has confirmed seller is forum user MRGR3YXF, see https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ives-fine.html Hope he has luck selling here.]

A few days later, noted a 2004 gray auto coupe with 174k in Milwaukee for $2500 ("needs new ignition, must be towed"). A call to the seller clarified that an attempted theft had destroyed the ignition cylinder about 4 weeks ago. His mechanic had taken apart the lower dash but wasn't able to fix it. He found parts on eBay for $350 (later found the listing, it was an ignition lock housing and cylinder with plain key) but was told it was $1200 to reset computer, and he didn't have that money.

My profuse thanks to this forum - I knew exactly how the transponder/antenna system worked, and how to take apart the ignition lock housing! I hatched a plan - pull the housing, zip-tie the fob to the antenna, remove the ignition switch and start directly with screwdriver. When the seller dropped the price to $2k the next day, we had to claim this bargain - knowledge is power (and profitability!). So up on a Saturday at 6AM to load the Expedition with tools (including drawbar and U-haul trailer rental location, in case we have to do this the hard way).

Two hours north to the north side of Milwaukee (burned-out and dilapidated homes on this block indicated it was not a friendly tourist location, but cold and early reduced the visible population) and to the car in the alley (owner wisely backed the car into the driveway before mishap). The car wasn't exactly "mint" as the seller claimed (foot-long scratch down to the metal on the right front. missing driver inside pull handle, foggy headlights, filthy) but it was straight, with no rust, oil done by Mobil1 within the last few months, decent tread on cheapo tires (Hercules Ironman iMove), so we traded cash for title, and he went back in the warm house (on a sunny 40* November morning).

And we got to work. Pulled all connections from the housing, center-punched the housing lock pin and started drilling but progress was VERY slow. Took another look a the lock cylinder - hmm, only two tumblers left - the thief had give us a head start. So I spent the next 45 minutes drilling out the rest of the cylinder. Hmm, now it turns 45*...with no tumblers. So I broke out the rest of the cylinder (wasn't afraid of wrecking the housing, thief has already done that) and see the cam that pulls the steering pin and the trans parking lock...but even a screwdriver won't turn that cam past 45*. Conclusion: the STICKY KEY problem! Ironic that it had this malady on top of theft damage.

Back to that accursed pin. I did see a youTube vid where a fella had instead drilled the black clamp bracket at a diagonal, upward angle to tie in to the clamping slot. I did so, and three or four 1/4" drill holes made a slot and the housing twisted right and free! #Winning! Steering could turn, I removed the ignition switch from the housing (3 x Philips crews) and prepared to start. But the slotted hole in the switch seemed to be plastic, and I had only brought tiny screwdrivers (doh!). So I used said tiny screwdrivers to take the black plastic back from the silver metal switch (assuming there was a stronger screw slot within) and ... DISASTER! Now I was looking at a backing plate with (7) sets of contacts, an intermediate white plastic cam, a metal top spring cap, and the empty housing...and no clue how it was aligned.

This setback required a mental and physical break (and I had to pee, which does NOT aid concentration), so we dashed to the nearest McD for edibles and warmth. We also came to the aid of a pair of hungry locals at their request (it was THAT kind of neighborhood). Looking carefully at the features of the cam, backplate, and housing, we we able to logic how to assemble. Next stop was the nearest O'Reilly (hmm, bars on all windows, wonder that that means) for a BFS that would fit the slot. All the tool cases were locked, but the staff opened the case and let me try until I had one the fit - and the switch felt RIGHT. I could feel off, accessory, run, and springy start positions. Hope sprung again!

Back at the car, snap the switch to the wiring and twist, and the car started (after not running or being charged for four weeks) in less than a second of cranking! There were several jumps for joy, hearing the smooth idle and checking gauges. Hmm, airbag light, lamp-out indicator...otherwise, all good. Zip tie'd the key/antenna under the dash, zip-tie the lower dash in place so I can use the pedals (hey, why fully assemble when I'll need to install a replacement ignition lock housing later?)...let's roll out. Easy does it down the broken alley on these low-profile tires - I hear a strange chuffing that varies with RPM - like an exhaust leak? No visible problems under the hood - and my phone rings, "You got it started? How?" the seller was desperate to know. I explained the fob transponder & antenna and screwdriver-starting to be courteous. He audibly shrugged - he had his money - and we hit the highway. Vroom! Spoiler goes schwing!

I wanted to reach a well-traveled highway exit (south of the urban area) to add fresh high-octane fuel and check her over. Some vibration at 60MPH that I put down to tire balance or slightly bent rim. Tire pressures were fine, so we leapt in again and headed south. So the car is stiffly sprung, tracks like an arrow, the seats are amazing, and the side view mirror pretty damn good - I could see behind the trailing Expedition well enough to guide the both of us through safe lane changes (it was a long way for a 16YO driver). I got intermittent coolant level warnings (glad I read the owner manual pdf here before starting out so I recognized the symbol) so I took it easy and left the precise cruise control on 68MPH. And I fell in love with the exhaust note every time I left a cash toll both (wife forbade me from blowing through express with no plates..am I the only one so tempted?). Noted the heater fan switch unresponsive, but plenty of heat. No power at cigar lighter.

We swapped vehicles 30 miles from home (I was confident at that point that no severe emergencies would occur, and what kid wouldn't want to drive his own car?) and after we arrived, both older son and wife each HAD to each take it around the block. Then Max HAD to take it to show to a friend, so we ran through the quick wash to knock remaining leaves and dirt off...and then HAD to visit two other friends, so at this point the car had run for 3 hours straight with no hiccups. Whoops, here's the CEL. Stopped at Autozone on the way back and he got his first taste of the expense of car ownership - $55 for new Bosch Icon wipers (old were trashed) and light bulbs (three side markers and one front were out...I guess the PO didn't have the forum or manual to help him figure out how!).

Next day was spent scrubbing inside & out, his friends even dropped by to help. Discovered a lovely rodent nest of wood mulch under the right side relay box next to the battery, removed with long needle-nose pliers. Then applied leaf blower and under-hood scrub to aid future maintenance. CEL Was P0410, so I cleared it, anticipating future troubleshooting. Found a 2001 SLK column on eBay with the ignition lock housing attached and a plain key, offered $70 and was accepted ($10 shipping), gotta wait a few days to ship from CA. He needs to sell Expedition so we can swap the plates, so we have a week or two at least to get our girl into fighting shape. Only problem is...

Now I'm smitten. Anyone have a manual roaster for similar dough?:rolleyes:

TL,DR - found a 2004 auto coupe with bad ignition lock 2 hours away (with 174k for $2k), and gratefully used forum know-how to drive it home.

Very interesting and well written. I guess I shouldn't worry about my Red Coupe then, 36, 973 miles on it. BEST OF LUCK to your son. Great story.
BillTo

Flamenco2005 11-17-2015 01:03 AM

Welcome ! You guys gonna have a blast ! Have him change his first oil change.
that'll rock his wallet. 8 1/2 qts. Mobil One $95.00

ala_xfire 11-17-2015 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Flamenco2005 (Post 852790)

Walmart - 5 liter jug - $26.44 X 2 = $52.88 + tax and a filter

( or free shipping on 2 of them : Mobil 1 0W-40 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt. - Walmart.com )

Pacemaker 11-17-2015 07:33 AM

Kowmander~
You and your son have been come into the best forum/family on the Internet! This site provides not only how to and why, but also a ton of fellowship and concern. Glad you are on here. Now, find out about the local, regional and national get togethers and learn even more about this amazing car and it's family. Welcome.
PACEMAKER

Kowmander 11-17-2015 08:43 AM

Thanks again for the well-wishes and tips - the enthusiasm and humor of this community is part of what drew us in! That, and this kinda nifty car...
Saturday FedEx brought us our salvage ignition lock housing, so I pulled the key cylinder, did the sticky key fix, and got it installed. Surprising how hard it is in Chicagoland to find a company to re-key the cylinder; many say they "don't work on that car". We could use the salvage key and swap it into our fob for starting, and just keep the old key for the door/glovebox/airbag, but that seems cheesy. Holding on reinstalling the lower dash until I can get the lock re-keyed.
Pulling and checking the #31 fuse for the lighter/glovebox light (was fine) seems to have solved the lighter power - now it's good on accessory & run key positions.
Did a quick check of the door switches for the always-on interior lighting problem - heard a click behind the headlight switch whenever either door was opened, so the switches are good. Need to check the actual relay at the headlight switch, or the output to the trunk security pump.
Found out why we had no heater blower - fuse #36 was missing. Thanks to the spares thoughtfully provided in the fusebox, plugged in a 40A and the blower started running right away...with the key off! This explains why the fuse was yanked. Can't seem to find my digital multimeter to check the controller, but the resistor pack is a likely culprit and Chinese down to $20 shipped on eBay, so ordered.
Of course, with the passenger dash tray already lowered for the resistor, the cabin air filter beckoned. Dang, that thing is substantial, and full of leaves and bugs. When my wife heard the $39 price of new (at needswings), she thought it sturdy enough to withstand a hosing and bleaching, and took charge of that refurbishment. Helps save the teenage wallet...I did notice cheaper alternatives on Amazon later. Looks like fuel and engine air filters are recommended at 60k, so we might take that maintenance step as well (but all of these CAI and Mercedes intake mods are awfully alluring). The Carfax that the seller had showed the first 15k as a lease, then the rest of the mileage up to 167k as one-owner, dealer-maintained, so we might be in a decent spot.
Best audio bang-for-buck capacitors installed - was fun having Max learn the basics of soldering. Base Infinity sounds pretty good now. But I feel air movement at the subs behind the seat without the pressure of bass, so we'll have to investigate those foam surrounds.
Valvoline/Zerex G 05 coolant I found at the O'reilly near us, but it doesn't match the blue I see in the expansion tank. Nonetheless, we'll be rolling again soon.

Mackel 11-17-2015 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Flamenco2005 (Post 852790)

WalMart has Mobil1 0W-40 full synthetic for $26.44 for a 5 quart jug (if you can find it).
My local store is often sold out.

I suggest you use only 8 quarts instead of 8.5.
My car wants to say HI on the oil level indicator with 8.5.

Don't be tempted to reuse the crushable washer under the drain plug. Find you a new one.

Big Daddy 11-17-2015 06:07 PM

Welcome aboard, Wishing you and your son years of happy motoring. Feel free to join the Chrysler Crossfire Owners on Facebook, form their you can find out more about local groups and gatherings just as Pacemaker said.