CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   In the market for a Crossfire, the best looking car in the world:) (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/new-member-introductions/76204-market-crossfire-best-looking-car-world.html)

41Ford 04-05-2017 10:32 PM

In the market for a Crossfire, the best looking car in the world:)

Hi there, I am looking for a Crossfire as my next car. I have been a car lover all of my life. I am trying to find out all that I can about Crossfire's before I "pounce" on one. I live in the High Desert of Southern California. I am trying to find out if Crossfires from other states can be easily registered in CA. (Smog requirements) If not, this might just be the final straw that gets me to move out of CA. :)

Thank you all for such a wonderful forum. Jordeen

daveesrt6 04-06-2017 04:36 AM

Re: In the market for a Crossfire, the best looking car in the world:)

Welcome to The Forum !
I hope you find a real beauty , your gonna love it.

"best lookin car in the world " eh , yep i like that.. Crossfire Rules ! art on wheels .. esp in black ,or silver blue and oh ..that red.. so cool in white too and grey !! , dam i love them all :-)

ala_xfire 04-06-2017 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by daveesrt6 (Post 884750)
Welcome to The Forum !
I hope you find a real beauty , your gonna love it.

"best lookin car in the world " eh , yep i like that.. Crossfire Rules ! art on wheels .. esp in black ,or silver blue and oh ..that red.. so cool in white too and grey !! , dam i love them all :-)

^^^^ I have "that red" roadster, but to tell the truth, the MOST beautiful one is the 2008 Oyster Gold roadster IMHO. ( They are kinda rare, I have only seen 2, and I attend most of the get to gethers )

harbor 04-06-2017 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 41Ford (Post 884742)
Hi there, I am looking for a Crossfire as my next car. I have been a car lover all of my life. I am trying to find out all that I can about Crossfire's before I "pounce" on one. I live in the High Desert of Southern California. I am trying to find out if Crossfires from other states can be easily registered in CA. (Smog requirements) If not, this might just be the final straw that gets me to move out of CA. :)

Thank you all for such a wonderful forum. Jordeen

Jordeen - XFire is 50-State certified, so no probs. If you find one in Canada, they are also certified, but won't have the EPA stickers.
Good luck in your search!

daveesrt6 04-06-2017 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 884753)
^^^^ I have "that red" roadster, but to tell the truth, the MOST beautiful one is the 2008 Oyster Gold roadster IMHO. ( They are kinda rare, I have only seen 2, and I attend most of the get to gethers )

I found some pics of the Oyster Gold , its ok , a bit beige for me :rolleyes: . but im not keen on the yellow color either.
I wonder why they never produced the Srt6 in "that Red "?

ala_xfire 04-07-2017 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by daveesrt6 (Post 884799)
I found some pics of the Oyster Gold , its ok , a bit beige for me :rolleyes: . but im not keen on the yellow color either.
I wonder why they never produced the Srt6 in "that Red "?

You would probably have to see one in person.
It looks like someone just poured champagne all over it.

daveesrt6 04-07-2017 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 884813)
You would probably have to see one in person.
It looks like someone just poured champagne all over it.

i believe it ,you make it sound so Nice !

41Ford 04-08-2017 11:43 AM

Okay, this is going to get some laughs. I am 50 something and I don't know how to drive a standard transmission vehicle:( My husband tried to teach me in a 63 XKE and I just could not get the hang of it. He said the transmission was not synchronized like newer vehicles and we should try on something newer. Then babies came and never tried again, learning how to drive a standard vehicle that is. My kids say one day and they will have me driving in a couple of hours.

The other things is what's with the fixed rear spoiler and the automatic one. At first I thought it was a production year thing. Now, I don't know what to think.

Jordeen

Steve Jr 04-08-2017 02:34 PM

Fixed rear spoiler is the SRT version! They only come with an automatic transmission.

41Ford 04-08-2017 03:10 PM

Thanks Steve Jr. are there aftermarket spoilers? I have seen a couple of Crossfires that are not 2005 and have spoilers. I like the automatic ones:D

I am off to the next 2 towns over to look at a Crossfire now, just window shopping right now. Thanks Jordeen

Franc Rauscher 04-08-2017 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 41Ford (Post 884910)
Thanks Steve Jr. are there aftermarket spoilers? I have seen a couple of Crossfires that are not 2005 and have spoilers. I like the automatic ones:D

I am off to the next 2 towns over to look at a Crossfire now, just window shopping right now. Thanks Jordeen

If it has a fixed spoiler, factory, then it is a 2005 (06 maybe) SRT. Supercharged with an autostick tranny. Very fast. Stock 330 HP

The Flip spoiler is on the NA versions (Normally Aspirated). Some owners have modified to a fixed wing but they are not stock. Stock NA is 215 HP. Same car mostly with a front lip on the SRT and stiffer suspensions.

Unless you want to be the fastest car ion the street the NA is fine. Very quick and very sporty to drive. everything under the skin is Mercedes 320 SL. The Skin is Karman. The only Chrysler part is the paperwork.

If you want incredible road handling in a sexy body that will get looks anywhere you drive, the NA will do nicely.

When you fine one you like, post information here. somebody likely has some helpful advice on price, condition and what to look for the dealer won't tell you.

I think PIZZA Guy has had damn near every model and color in the NA version.. He's a good source.

If you consider the SRT RED DOG is my favorite guru but there are dozens of guys and gals who will help.

EDIT I would also recommend CHUK. The most likable guy on the Forum IMHO and damn handy under the bonnet. I have no explanation why his name was Omitted.

One hundred Eighty is arguably the best source of troubleshooting and repair info.

Right now is the second best part of buying a kewel car. Driving it home will be exciting.

But your best days will be with the friends you meet from here on this forum.:eek:

41Ford 04-08-2017 09:53 PM

Franc, thank you for all the good info. I am thinking that an NA would be perfect for me. I went to look at one and went for a ride. I knew I was not going to buy it. It was a 2004, silver with a black interior. It had 102,360 miles on it. Auto trans, $5999.00.

The salesperson said that the car was all original and there was no special equipment add-ons. The engine sounded nice, like headers on one of my former cars. I noticed a number of things that were missing or not working. However, I know that in the near future I will be driving one to work. Gotta make that 60 mile round trip a little more exciting.

I drive an 06 Scion xb (Toaster). It has about 120,000 miles on it. In the Toyota/Scion market, the general comment is..."It's just barely broke-in." What is broke-in by way of a NA Crossfire?

Thank you all for your expertise.

Jordeen:)

41Ford 04-09-2017 11:23 AM

Thanks for the info harbor. Now the sky's the limit. However, it would still be nice to find one in this area.
Jordeen

Franc Rauscher 04-09-2017 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 41Ford (Post 884923)
Franc, thank you for all the good info. I am thinking that an NA would be perfect for me. I went to look at one and went for a ride. I knew I was not going to buy it. It was a 2004, silver with a black interior. It had 102,360 miles on it. Auto trans, $5999.00.

The salesperson said that the car was all original and there was no special equipment add-ons. The engine sounded nice, like headers on one of my former cars. I noticed a number of things that were missing or not working. However, I know that in the near future I will be driving one to work. Gotta make that 60 mile round trip a little more exciting.

I drive an 06 Scion xb (Toaster). It has about 120,000 miles on it. In the Toyota/Scion market, the general comment is..."It's just barely broke-in." What is broke-in by way of a NA Crossfire?

Thank you all for your expertise.

Jordeen:)

I do appreciate the compliment, but I am hardly the "expert." Just an addicted aficionado. I named those here I would consider "experts" for the Crossfire driving experience.

Well broke and tested, anything over 20K. Any of the rare production flaws have been corrected. Except perhaps, the rumored existence of a functioning cup holder.

That said, My advice;;;
Try and stay under 60K. Mercedes Benz may be the best engineered cars in the world but they are often assembled just like any other car, with the cheapest parts available. My opinion yes, but there are some things on a Benz which defy the term,,,, "Only the Best."

I would buy an 320SL with over one hundred miles on the clock, but they have factory and dealer support. It gets dicey with the Crossfire. You will need to find a good "IMPORT" repair shop who's mechanics know the Benz line.

Secondly, if you drive 60 miles a day for work, that's 15,600 miles a year. So, if you want the car to last four years I would suggest you try to stay under 60K on the purchase.

Buy a convertible for Southern California. The frame is as stiff and solid as the Coupe. However the trunk is smaller, especially with the top down, so if you need storage space the coupe might be a better choice.

And keep connected to the gals and guys here. The dealers will take your money even though they are lost under the bonnet of a Crossfire. These folks will steer you right ,,,; because you are family..

bluecoupe 04-09-2017 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher (Post 884938)
The frame is as stiff and solid as the Coupe.

"The Crossfire goes from a stiffness of 50 hertz as a coupe down to 29.2 hertz as a roadster. .....By any measure, if you cut the hertz of a given structure in half, say by chopping off its roof, you soften it up."

Read more: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster: Spring Arrives at 150mph: New Crossfire Roadster Offers All This and No Roof, Too | Autoweek

lovecross 04-09-2017 04:03 PM

Welcome! We are original owners of an '05 LTD Roadster, Aero Blue w/ 2 tone slate gray int. N/A w/ 87k miles, was daily driver for 11 years, now garage queen;). Have done 95% of maintenance/minor repair as an old school DIYer. We have no plans to ever part with this car. Few common issues have been fixed; Leaky trans. connector, "sticky" ignition switch, power seat relay, crankshaft position sensor & relay control module. While these can be annoying, with help from folks here, none of that need be overly expensive. For some, an independent, MB experienced shop w/ an honest reputation may come in handy. (We are in Hemet, west side of mountain from Palm Springs)
We, like most, had top replaced due to detached rear window, (from "GAHH" & w/labor; not cheap:() But definitely worth it. N/A's are fairly comfy yet sporty & good on gas, if you don't wear heavy shoes!:rolleyes:
One owner, mileage under say 60 to 80k, w/maintenance records would be a good find. Well maintained, I think these cars are known to go 300k miles w/o major issues.
Use Caution with known water intrusion in trunk "wells" under luggage area and/or "Skreem" module issue; can affect locking & security systems. Have not had these but can run into some $ repair.

Franc Rauscher 04-09-2017 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe (Post 884951)
"The Crossfire goes from a stiffness of 50 hertz as a coupe down to 29.2 hertz as a roadster. .....By any measure, if you cut the hertz of a given structure in half, say by chopping off its roof, you soften it up."

Read more: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster: Spring Arrives at 150mph: New Crossfire Roadster Offers All This and No Roof, Too | Autoweek

The Crossfire was design/built as a roadster. Then they put the hard top on it. It is not a "stiffened" coupe as is the usual case with soft top versions of a production car. Has anyone here ever complained that the roadster is "Soft?"

Nope.

I own both. And have had both at or over 160 MPH. More importantly I have had both through twisteis that would fold the average Convertible in half. No differences. And that is the critical point. For the driver, especially this potential one, there is no difference except for the wind in your hair, and a lower level of drone.

If you want to talk about differences,,,; The coupes cannot clear their wind shields on the inside when it rains hard. Why is that?
A sports car should be a roadster. The only reason for a hardtop is if you want to do better more than 13.5 at the 1/4 mile. I don't get that plan from Joreen.

But thanks for sharing.

bluecoupe 04-09-2017 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher (Post 884954)
The Crossfire was design/built as a roadster.
But thanks for sharing.

The concept car is a coupe........you're welcome!

onehundred80 04-09-2017 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher (Post 884954)
I own both.

Not true, if you are legally married then your wife owns half of everything.

Franc Rauscher 04-10-2017 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe (Post 884976)
The concept car is a coupe........you're welcome!

That's your proof?:p

'The Chrysler Crossfire is based on the 320SL Mercedes. It is built on it's 129 chassis and drive train. Entirely. They were only available as Roadsters. And were designed as such.

The R129 was produced as a two-door, two-seat roadster with an automated (electro-hydraulic), collapsible textile roof, with a shell-like, color-matched, tonneau cover. All R129s came standard with an aluminum detachable hardtop that was fitted by folding the canvas roof down and manually attaching the hardtop.

The concept car was a hardtop and the fist years production contained no soft top models. So what?

None of this matters as the only reason the tracks demand a hardtop is rollover. One can install a roll bar, but why. Added weight to a car not the most suitable for a winning Drag racing base. :rolleyes:

And I'm willing to bet not a concern of Jordeen who simply wants a cool commuter she can enjoy on week end drives through wine country. I simply wanted to allay any fears she might have about structural integrity. The roadster is not a conversion from a sedan or coupe model.

You're welcome.