New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New french owner convertible 2007

Old 09-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New french owner convertible 2007

Hi all,

I just bought my 2007 convertible 3.2V6:

My new 2007

This is my first Chrysler, already have an uncommon car (Saab 93).

I already made lots of common mechanics maintenance on my Saab. BTW, do I need to buy imperial socket sets, on do my metric ones for the job? Need to change oil soon, and air filter. Oil/filter change seems to be quite straightforward, isn't it?

Cheers

Old 09-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: New french owner convertible 2007

Welcome!

First oil change may be a little tricky, so here's a tutorial from a Benz site. O ring placement is important. DIY Pictorial Oil Change - V6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Lots of info on this forum under DIY stickies, and your metric wrenches should be fine.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Congrats on your recent purchase and welcome to Our Forum. Your existing metric tools will work fine. The Crossfire is essentially a M-B SLK-320 with a Chrysler-designed body. Not that many English (Imperial) fasteners. The oil change can be completed from the top of the engine bay. You just need an oil extractor to remove the oil once you remove the oil filter cartridge. And the filter wrench to remove the filter cartridge. (Note: Make sure you have something close at hand to put the oil cartridge assembly in as it will be dripping with oil.) Lots of folks perform the oil change this way. I still prefer to drain the oil from the pan bottom. And most of us refill the engine with oil by using the housing for the oil filter cartridge rather than pour oil in using the oil fill port. The oil filter cartridge is the last thing one typically installs.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Thanks for your welcome to the forum.

I had the pleasure to drive it on the road this weekend Lot of fun despite the weather here (rainy).

I need to change the oil soon. Is there a special tool to unscrew the oil filter cap ?
Generally speaking, is there in the forum a dedicated place for those "simple" DIY car work ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

See the link below for almost any assistance you need.
I find that a simple strap wrench works well on the oil filter cap, although it should be no more than hand tight. The actual sealing is done by the big O ring, not a tight cap.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Thanks for your advice.

I looked at several Youtube videos and it seems easy. I'll probably put 5W40 oil as where I'm living, it's very seldom under -20°C (I've read the recommendation is 0W40).

As I watched other videos on the Crossfire, I stumbled upon recurrent videos talking about the CPS (crankshaft), Camshaft sensor and RCM, which are doomed to fail one day or another. Does this mean it's wiser to replace them (or re-solder for the RCM) preventively ?
If true, is it recommended to get genuine Bosch parts?

Thanks a lot.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's all here ......https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/technical/