TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Eliminating alarm siren

Old 04-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Eliminating alarm siren

Gentlemen - Is it possible to eliminate the alarm siren by removing the fuse (#9) and running a inline fuse for the horn wiring? Since the #9 fuse serves the horn, overhead light and cargo area light as well as the siren, can the inline fuse on the horn wiring serve to keep the horn operable? I don't care if I lose the overhead light or the cargo light, but must keep the horn operable. Not being an electronic wiz, it is just a thought. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I'm looking for a simple way to eliminate the alarm going off in the middle of the night or when I get out of the car and lock it with the key fob and the alarm goes off. I don't mind locking the car manually just to get rid of the alarm going off. My personal email is jpmlholian@aol.com if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Eliminating alarm siren

Why not just unplug the alarm module ?

Old 04-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

ala xfire - by using the term "module", do you mean the alarm itself or is there a seperate module? To unplug the alarm I know I would have to remove the wipers, and the cowling, just to get to the alarm. If I'm going to have to do that, I will. Just looking for a simple, quick way to get rid of the problem with the alarm. Let me know about the "module" thing. The fuse removal is what the Chrysler dealer wanted to do also, but I said no because of the horn.

I appreciate your input. If you could explain a little further, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Yes, the alarm is a module and it IS located under the plastic wiper cowl.
You can unplug yours, or for about $120 get a new replacement.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Forum Regular

ala-xfire Thanks for the information. If I just unplug the alarm, will the lights quit flashing also? I don't want to ruin the battery with the lights flashing all the time.

I guess the best thing to do is to buy a new alarm. I've seen them on Amazon and Ebay, as well as other sites. I did copy some part numbers from previous posts and looked them up. Some for the MB alarms look like they have a different socket for the plug in. The Bosch alarm looks like an oval socket for the wiring and it says it for the Crossfire. Have you any experience with any of these? I remember reading somewhere that a new wiring harness is needed with some MB alarms.

I hope I'm not bothering you too much with these questions. By the way, I posted my original inquiry under new member section because I could not find a way to post a general thread. I always have trouble posting a new thread for everyone to see.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-11-2018, 03:18 PM

No problem Jim.
I was not aware that there were ones that had a different plug.
One thing I would advise to check is the date of manufacture, don't buy one that's been sitting on a shelf for 12 years
I was aware that some have a different method of mounting, I think onehundred80 pointed that out.

Yes, you can unplug the alarm and the lights will still flash and it will not effect your battery.
George

Old 04-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnecting, removing, or replacing the siren should solve your 'alarming' problem. There are many posts about the siren batteries going bad, creating this problem (do search). A new siren (old off the shelf) could eventually (maybe soon) have the same problem? I just removed mine. It's now a paper weight on my work bench. Once disconnect, everything except the sound should work as designed. Lights will flash until reset, etc. Removing the wipers can be a bit difficult. I used a battery terminal puller. A gear puller should work also?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Forum Regular

Gentlemen - I thank both of you for your perspective. This forum is SO great for helping fellow owners out. We'd all be lost without this site.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You want Mercedes part number 219 820 3226. Got mine on Amazon for $147. There may be cheaper out there, but this was with 2 day free shipping.
Just went through this in August of last year.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 450 Likes on 317 Posts

I just replaced my siren with this one
It also chirps with the remote lock & unlock
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...296#post903296

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...mer-2198203226

The price was only about $129 a couple weeks ago

Last edited by Valk; 04-13-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Forum Regular

Thank you all. This is welcome information.

Jim

Old 05-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2004/63,000 mile has been having the random siren chirping problem. Today dealership told me it would be $800 to replace the siren. They said they cannot disconnect the siren due to a communication wire that leads to the motherboard and that a siren "has" to be present because of this wire. I'm thinking they don't want to mess with it? Considering taking it to a car audio place instead?

This and one other needed repair will make or break whether I let some enthusiast take the car off my hands. I'm just an everyday lady driver and not a tinkerer.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi, If anyone else is looking to replace their siren, this place has then for $91.25 plus $15 shipping. This is where I got mine and it worked perfectly, does chirp.

https://parts.mercedesbenznaples.com...718202526.html

Last edited by maggy55; 05-03-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Received 341 Likes on 301 Posts

Maggy, what is the name of the place and the number of the siren?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U can unplug it...

Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 PM

I found an alarm guy who took out the siren for $75! Now I'm about to attempt removing my ignition switch to fix the sticky key. YouTube video said remove the spring and pin from the switch, replace and done! Fingers crossed!

Old 05-19-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
ala xfire - by using the term "module", do you mean the alarm itself or is there a seperate module? To unplug the alarm I know I would have to remove the wipers, and the cowling, just to get to the alarm. If I'm going to have to do that, I will. Just looking for a simple, quick way to get rid of the problem with the alarm. Let me know about the "module" thing. The fuse removal is what the Chrysler dealer wanted to do also, but I said no because of the horn.

I appreciate your input. If you could explain a little further, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

Jim
Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Gentlemen - Is it possible to eliminate the alarm siren by removing the fuse (#9) and running a inline fuse for the horn wiring? Since the #9 fuse serves the horn, overhead light and cargo area light as well as the siren, can the inline fuse on the horn wiring serve to keep the horn operable? I don't care if I lose the overhead light or the cargo light, but must keep the horn operable. Not being an electronic wiz, it is just a thought. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I'm looking for a simple way to eliminate the alarm going off in the middle of the night or when I get out of the car and lock it with the key fob and the alarm goes off. I don't mind locking the car manually just to get rid of the alarm going off. My personal email is jpmlholian@aol.com if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Jim
f y i, I took my old siren that kept going off in the middle of the night like other people have had problems with and I took a coping saw and cut it around the circle of it in the groove until I was able to split into two halves and sure enough the batteries leaked acid all over the printed circuit board I cut and the batteries out of the unit cleaned off the board with baking soda and water then blew it dry and it looks good thinking I'd coat it with polyurethane and put it back without the batteries but I decided not to bother because it's a lot of work.to get underneath there again so now it stays on my bench looking pretty but I don't know if it's functional so I'm not going to bother. The actual answer is yes you get the goofy chirping on the batteries leak out all over the circuit board and short it out so just remove it disconnect it and
don't bother putting one back.

Last edited by autocar; 05-19-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by autocar
f y i, I took my old siren that kept going off in the middle of the night like other people have had problems with and I took a coping saw and cut it around the circle of it in the groove until I was able to split into two halves and sure enough the batteries leaked acid all over the printed circuit board I cut and the batteries out of the unit cleaned off the board with baking soda and water then blew it dry and it looks good thinking I'd coat it with polyurethane and put it back without the batteries but I decided not to bother because it's a lot of work.to get underneath there again so now it stays on my bench looking pretty but I don't know if it's functional so I'm not going to bother. The actual answer is yes you get the goofy chirping on the batteries leak out all over the circuit board and short it out so just remove it disconnect it and
I have tried recovering several ( 5 or 6 ) for myself and others and have had 0% success rate.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:05 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by autocar

Contrary to a few others who didn't have any luck in replacing dead or even the leaked/damaged batteries in their sirens, I did two different battery configurations and both were 100% successful. Check out this post ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ent-issue.html ) for both sirens I did. If you have the one with two, or one of the batteries. Good luck!