New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Questions I want to ask before getting a Crossfire

Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Questions I want to ask before getting a Crossfire

Originally Posted by bigreddog
If anyone can chime in on the water in the trunk issue, that would really help me out. I appreciate it.
Perhaps you should check out the post above your last post(#18), yes, the guy you pissed off. See the HIGHLIGHTED IN RED link in his signature? It's all you need to know there if you check it out. It will help you cut your teeth here. Also, look at how many posts he has here on our Forum; now look at how many you have...... Just saying.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I did search this problem and found three different causes of water getting into trunks. And I've only begun searching. So that isn't much help or very reassuring. Could be leaking at the wing. Could be the hatch lock. Could be the seal. Maybe it's none of those things.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the back window delaminate from the canvas top. Water got back in the very bottom of the trunk area that pooled that destroyed a computer module that is used to open the convertible top, amongst other things. I paid a garage to replace the module. They had a very difficult time finding a replacement. It cost me a lot of money for that fix.

The lesson learned is if your back window starts delaminating, fix it immediately.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you. I did search this problem and found three different causes of water getting into trunks. And I've only begun searching. So that isn't much help or very reassuring. Could be leaking at the wing. Could be the hatch lock. Could be the seal. Maybe it's none of those things.
My guess is that it's none of those things because you haven't even purchased the car yet. Not everyone has a leak. If the potential leak is a deal breaker for you, then don't buy a Crossfire. Or get one and then proactively do the fix that has been documented. It sounds almost as though you're trying to talk yourself out of it, with all the complaining.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:21 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

I have an opinion on everything. After nine years, over 100,000 miles on three Crossfires, perhaps my opinions are more than just opinions.
My responses are in bold.
Hello Everyone.

Just joined this site today and I have multiple questions to help me pick out the best Crossfire for the money. Here are my questions below.

Is the 6 speed manual tranny better or faster than the automatic? The automatic seemed faster around town, but on challenging roads like the Dragon, personally, I"m faster with the six speed as I have control, with the auto, the computer manages your inputs and commands and responds to them per it's programming.

Does the car require premium fuel? Yes.

Are oil changes expensive being that the engine is Mercedes? My 2005 Ford Ranger runs full synthetic, 5 quarts with a $5 filter. The Crossfire runs with 8 quarts of full synthetic and a $14 filter. So, no, not all that more expensive if you do it yourself. If you must take it somewhere to have it done, it will run at least $90 and up to $180. Please note that many shops and oil change places tend to overfill, not change the o-rings on the filter carrier and will probably use the crappy paper filter.

There is a video on YouTube called Crossfire Kate Gordon. Her exhaust sounds the best out of all of the videos I've listened to. I can't get an answer on which exhaust to get. Came someone with knowledge watch the video and advise me on the best exhaust to get. I've heard one video where they simply bypassed the muffler and it sounded good, but not as good as the video from Kate Gordon. Join Facebook and ask Kate Gordon what she did to the car. Or attend one of the large meets (like the Dragon, where we will have over 60 cars this time) and listen for yourself. When you like a car's sound, ask what was done to it.

I am looking to spend between $4500 to $6000 on a Crossfire with 100k or less. I used to race Mustang 5.0's when I was much much younger. Honestly, I beat the crap out of them but they always performed well and I never had any problems at all with all 13 of my Mustangs that I used to own. Now that I'm much older, I do not plan on beating the car up. But, how does the engine and transmission hold up? I saw a Crossfire for sale with 200,000 miles so that makes me feel better but how good are the automatic transmissions?

I don't want to buy a used car that was beat on and then inherit a nightmare. Next, I have a 2007 Town and Country van that has a TON of rust on it. I swore I'd never get another Chrysler car again. Do the Crossfires have any areas that are prone to rusting? The Crossfire is not a Chrysler product, it is a Daimler/Karmann product with a body designed by an American. Yes, there is a bit of a risk of lower door rust, it's easy to check for and reasonably easy to stop.

I found a SRT-6 that is $5400 but says it's needs the ECM repaired. So, I really don't want the SRT-6. Yeah I'd love the power but I heard that the suspension on the SRT-6 is terribly stiff, even worse than the regular Crossfire. So, are ECM's a problem in Crossfires? What are the things that tend to go out or wear out on a Crossfire? Practicality tells me to buy another Mustang again. Seating for 4 and a good 4.6L or 5.0L engine. But, I'm just really in love with the Crossfire looks. I get the idea you won't be happy with a Crossfire. The Mustang is in a totally different category, if you are pleased with Mustangs, I would caution you about buying a Crossfire.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I have an opinion on everything. After nine years, over 100,000 miles on three Crossfires, perhaps my opinions are more than just opinions.
You are right on the money with those remarks.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I appreciate some of your opinions. But if you read the entire thread that you quoted, I clearly said that I wasn't interested in speed. I said if I was interested in just speed, I would get a Mustang. But I also said that I've had 13 Mustangs and my last Mustang was over 10 years ago. Yes I wish the Crossfire wasn't just a two seater but, then it wouldn't be a Crossfire. I like the looks of the Crossfire and in other areas of the forum, I've been told that these engines and transmissions are very strong. My original thread was, "Questions I want to ask before getting a Crossfire". You did not mention any problems to look out for. When I ask questions on my own thread, people accuse me of "complaining." I'm not complaining, I don't even have a Crossfire yet! I'm simply reading things in other places, and when I ask for answers on how to check if a Crossfire has that problem and what is involved to fix the problem, I am offered no help, no explanations, and told to search the Forums which have only made things even more confusing. I want to know how to fix the Crossfire so that it doesn't get water in the trunk and ruin computers and sensors. I thought this was one problem, but I'm up to a possible 5 things that could cause this problem. So, is that complaining or is that something I should genuinely be worried about and ask others how to avoid this problem? I thought that was the point of a Forum. I am instead getting responses saying, go get a Mustang. I don't want a Mustang. So, let's press the reset button here.

Hello everyone, I'm wanting to purchase a Crossfire. I'm not expecting it to be a speed demon if I don't get the SRT6. I don't plan on racing it or beating the hell out of it. If I wanted to beat the hell out of a car and race it, then I would just get a Mustang. I'm not wanting speed, just something fun. I love the looks of the Crossfire. Therefore I'd like to get a Crossfire. Can you guys tell me for things that I should look out for when looking over a Crossfire? For example, I know now to look under the weather stripping for rust and where the wing attaches for rust. I know to look in the trunk for water damage. If you can offer me advice that I am seeking, I would really appreciate it. I you want to tell me, on a Crossfire forum, to buy a Mustang especially after I said I didn't want another Mustang, then don't bother wasting your time commenting.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm wanting to purchase a Crossfire. I'm not expecting it to be a speed demon if I don't get the SRT6. I don't plan on racing it or beating the hell out of it. If I wanted to beat the hell out of a car and race it, then I would just get a Mustang. I'm not wanting speed, just something fun. I love the looks of the Crossfire. Therefore I'd like to get a Crossfire. Can you guys tell me for things that I should look out for when looking over a Crossfire? For example, I know now to look under the weather stripping for rust and where the wing attaches for rust. I know to look in the trunk for water damage. If you can offer me advice that I am seeking, I would really appreciate it. I you want to tell me, on a Crossfire forum, to buy a Mustang especially after I said I didn't want another Mustang, then don't bother wasting your time commenting.
  • look over the rear wheel arches for rust.
  • check the vent covers ( on the valve covers ) for leaks - easily and cheaply fixed.
  • the trunk leakage is mainly the SRT6, but can occur with an NA. Best to just plastic bag the control locking module until you can trace the source of the leak.
  • check the tires for uneven wear - indicates alignment issues somewhat common to these cars.
  • if a roadster, check pump fluid level and all 5 cylinders for signs of leakage. Also check the bond on the rear window.
  • check for "sticky key fix" if 2004/2005 model.
  • do the "cheapest bang for the buck" mod if it's not a base model.
  • check negative battery cable at the fender for rust/corrosion
  • check to see if the "mystery no start" fix has been done.
  • don't be upset if the cup holder is broken - that's normal.
you are welcome to message me with any other concerns.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
  • look over the rear wheel arches for rust.
  • check the vent covers ( on the valve covers ) for leaks - easily and cheaply fixed.
  • the trunk leakage is mainly the SRT6, but can occur with an NA. Best to just plastic bag the control locking module until you can trace the source of the leak.
  • check the tires for uneven wear - indicates alignment issues somewhat common to these cars.
  • if a roadster, check pump fluid level and all 5 cylinders for signs of leakage. Also check the bond on the rear window.
  • check for "sticky key fix" if 2004/2005 model.
  • do the "cheapest bang for the buck" mod if it's not a base model.
  • check negative battery cable at the fender for rust/corrosion
  • check to see if the "mystery no start" fix has been done.
  • don't be upset if the cup holder is broken - that's normal.
you are welcome to message me with any other concerns.
Thank you very much ALA_XFIRE! I really appreciate it! I will definitely look for these things. Thank you.