New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Hello, and question on Crossfire transmissions

Old 12-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, and question on Crossfire transmissions

Hello,

I just joined the forum, and it looks great. I am located in the Chicago area, and have been casually looking for a Crossfire convertible over the past couple of months. My question is: How reliable is the Crossfire Automatic transmission? For those of you that had to rebuild the transmission, what did it cost, and did you have any trouble finding someone to work on it? My recent experience with Fords is that the automatic transmission is only good for 90-100K miles at best. I know this is apples and oranges, but being a mixed component vehicle of Mercedes and Chrysler I am concerned that a transmission job might cost as much as what these cars are currently selling for. I know how to drive a manual transmission, but it's a distant second choice for various reasons.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Terry

Old 12-02-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Re: Hello, and question on Crossfire transmissions

The Crossfire transmissions are virtually bullet proof. They are a Mercedes transmission and therefor relativly common.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

I have had three Crossfires (last two manuals cause autos are for lazy people, I won't hold that against you), over nine years. I've been super active on this forum AND many of the Facebook pages.

The Crossfire is known for a LOT of issues, and the auto transmission is famous for leaking thru it's electrical connector (MINOR problem, easy and cheap to fix). But of all the posts and cries for help and stories of $1500 repairs - NONE of the stories have EVER been about the automatic transmission.

I do know a new clutch will set you back well over $1000, but I've never heard of ANYONE putting a lot of money into the auto in these cars - and I personally know of three people with over 200,000 miles on theirs - with not one issue with the transmission - other than that damn leaking connector.

Sports cars should have manual transmissions. But if you insist in an auto, you cannot do better than the auto in these cars. NOW, read my signline carefully and go find a car.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

As conveyed by others, the 5-speed Autostick is solid & extremely reliable. That can be essentially said for the entire rolling chassis, which is the M-B R170 design. As far as getting the car worked on, if required, find yourself a reputable independent German repair shop. Residing in Chicago metro area, there ought to be several of these auto shops around. They won't have any issues handling repairs to the rolling chassis since it's entirely M-B sourced.

And regarding pizzaguy's signature comment, while there are many CDJR dealers that claim experience with these cars, many of them no longer have service technicians familiar with the car. So getting a reliable & cost effective repair from these dealers is rare and subject to some ridicule from Forum members (We told you so!). However, there are a minute few CDJR dealers that can provide quality service on these cars. I'm saying that because I have such a dealer (Benson CDJR) near me in Upstate SC. There are still 2 service techs employed there that received training on how to service these cars. I haven't used them much, because I also have one of those reputable independent service shops nearby that specializes in German marques. (Note: This forum is an encyclopedia of known issues with repairs that anyone with reasonable DIY skills can execute. Any repairs I've had to make I completed using this Forum as my source for "How to". And fortunately, nothing major thus far.) I have discussed several issues with the service techs at Benson's and they have always been receptive to talking with me about my car. In fact, the dealer calls me up about every 3-4 months and offers to buy my car due to an interested buyer. Maybe I'll get an Alpha Romeo one day! Benson sells Alphas also.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-04-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkerer
Hello,

I just joined the forum, and it looks great. I am located in the Chicago area, and have been casually looking for a Crossfire convertible over the past couple of months. My question is: How reliable is the Crossfire Automatic transmission? For those of you that had to rebuild the transmission, what did it cost, and did you have any trouble finding someone to work on it? My recent experience with Fords is that the automatic transmission is only good for 90-100K miles at best. I know this is apples and oranges, but being a mixed component vehicle of Mercedes and Chrysler I am concerned that a transmission job might cost as much as what these cars are currently selling for. I know how to drive a manual transmission, but it's a distant second choice for various reasons.

Terry
Forget the mix that you mention, this car uses Mercedes parts. Let me know if you find a Chrysler part.
Transmissions are hardly ever an issue, the leakage is repairable cheaply and by yourself if you care to do it.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree that a sports car, particularly one that is autocrossed seriously, should have a manual transmission. There are things you can do in a slalom or a tight gate that cannot be done with a conventional automagic. Lately though I have wondered if I locked the car in lockup when moving if the same effect could be achieved.

OTOH a good many-speed lockup trans makes a lot of sense in a road or GT car though from a luggage standpoint only the coupe would make sense for real long distance rapid driving.

And for special purposes it is hard to fit a transbrake to a manual trans.

That said the Crosfsire really does not have a six speed transmission. It has a five speed manual with a granny gear for parades and going up the side of a wall. It is also used in the Jeep Wrangler. A 1-2 power shift that occurs about hallway across an intersection is gar-un-teed to trigger the traction control (which you really need if it rains).

So automagic vs manual ? A lot depends on what you want to do with it.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want your tranny to last forever?

Change your transmission fluid (and filter) every 30,000 miles. That is required actually.

I have experienced two problems with my tranny. The seal where the wires go into the transmission leaked. It cost me $1000 because the exhaust has to be removed to access it.

Also the seal on the pan on the bottom leaked. Fortunately, that was very accessible.

Not related, but the valve cover seals are very prone to leaking. Had to replace those.

Last edited by David M; 12-05-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The seal where the wires go into the transmission leaked. It cost me $1000 because the exhaust has to be removed to access it.
Not true.
It cost me a total of $12.95 to replace the control wire fitting.
I jacked the car up on the passenger side, supported with jack stands and had the job done in about 10 minutes with very little fluid loss.
Didn't have to touch the exhaust at all.
Hate to say it, but someone saw you coming.

The following users liked this post:
Jonsir09 (10-22-2022)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Not true.
It cost me a total of $12.95 to replace the control wire fitting.
I jacked the car up on the passenger side, supported with jack stands and had the job done in about 10 minutes with very little fluid loss.
Didn't have to touch the exhaust at all.
Hate to say it, but someone saw you coming.
He is talking about the oil level sensor wires I do believe.
I hope he means engine and not the transmission.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by David M
You want your tranny to last forever?

Change your transmission fluid (and filter) every 30,000 miles. That is required actually.
A man who owned a transmission shop told me the same thing - back in around 1995, he said that "If people would change fluid and filter at 50,000 miles, you could almost put me and all transmission shops out of business..."

Old 12-06-2018, 12:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkerer
Hello,

Terry
It is not mixed component, the only thing Chrysler is the winged insignia, everything else is MB.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:47 AM

Having owned 7 Mercedes vehicles in the past 3 decades, all with automatic transmissions, I can attest to their sturdiness. Routine maintenance will get you well beyond 100,000 miles, and one of my Mercedes had more than 215,000 miles on it when I handed it over to my son, with never a hint of transmission or engine problems.

As with any car, following manufacturers’ maintenance schedules should be a given if you want to avoid problems. A good independent mechanic shop that encourages preventative measures like changing transmission fluid on schedule will ensure reliability.

No car is without issues. But with the help of this forum and a little mechanical ability, a Crossfire isn’t too difficult to work on for much of the regular maintenance and repairs. Bigger problems can and should be addressed by a shop that understands and appreciates Mercedes engineering, even when it’s underneath a body styled by Chrysler and built by Karmann.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Cool Re: Hello, and question on Crossfire transmissions

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I have had three Crossfires (last two manuals cause autos are for lazy people, I won't hold that against you), over nine years. I've been super active on this forum AND many of the Facebook pages.

The Crossfire is known for a LOT of issues, and the auto transmission is famous for leaking thru it's electrical connector (MINOR problem, easy and cheap to fix). But of all the posts and cries for help and stories of $1500 repairs - NONE of the stories have EVER been about the automatic transmission.

I do know a new clutch will set you back well over $1000, but I've never heard of ANYONE putting a lot of money into the auto in these cars - and I personally know of three people with over 200,000 miles on theirs - with not one issue with the transmission - other than that damn leaking connector.

Sports cars should have manual transmissions. But if you insist in an auto, you cannot do better than the auto in these cars. NOW, read my signline carefully and go find a car.
I've had my "manual" Crossfire Convertible for 17 yrs. and just hit 81K miles. Recently, it started to stick in 6th gear and when going from 1st to 2nd it will drop into 4th. I can get a reman trans with a (3) yr warranty for $3100 plus $750 labor or a low mile trans from a salvage yard for $500 with a 90 day warranty and $750 labor but I've yet to find a low miler from a salvage yard, most have 100K or more miles. Did find one that looks new but the salvage owner has no paperwork or info on the car (I'll pass). See pic

Old 08-08-2023, 01:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

nice looking car !

Old 08-20-2023, 07:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

All well stated. I have the SRT version so auto is it. Been gone from here for awhile but no one drives a XF any harder than I have. The auto version is a solid performer. Listen to their advice. You want it to perform you must service it. Especially if you push it.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:32 AM
Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

If traffic is bad in your area around Chicago, a manual transmission may not be the best match for driving in your area