Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

one of the worst crashes i have seen. sad. :(

Old 04-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default one of the worst crashes i have seen. sad. :(

High school mourns for its two seniors killed in Dix Hills crash
BY ZACHARY R. DOWDY

April 27, 2007, 10:35 PM EDT

Speed killed them.

Two high school seniors were going more than 100 mph in a 2007 BMW 335i, weaving in-and-out of traffic, police said Friday, when the car left the road, struck a tree and smashed into "a thousand pieces."

The 8:27 p.m. crash Thursday on the Northern State Parkway ended the lives of two 17-year-olds, Giacomo Alfieri, of Merrick, and Michael Moniz, of Bellmore.

Their deaths left two families, two neighborhoods and a school in mourning for the two youngsters described as "intelligent, considerate and vivacious."

The car's velocity caused so much damage that veteran first-responders and investigators said it was among the most horrific of their careers.

"It was the worst crash that I've seen," said Eric Baez, a 19-year veteran investigator who said that excessive speed was the main cause of the crash on the eastbound side the parkway in Dix Hills.

Baez stood in front of the wreckage at the impound lot during a news conference at State Police headquarters in Farmingdale Friday, saying the young men died of "massive blunt force trauma." He added that the debris from the crash, which occurred on a wooded median, was flung as far as 150 feet from the point of impact.

Police said the car was registered to the father of Alfieri, the presumed driver. Police could not determine whether the victims were wearing seatbelts.

"We have tons of witnesses saying they were driving at a very high rate of speed," said Trooper Frank Bandiero, a spokesman. "The car was ripped into a thousand pieces."

Baez said that standard toxicology tests would determine whether drugs or alcohol were a factor but results will not be available for several weeks.

Dix Hills Fire Chief Larry Feld said the car and the victims' bodies were grossly severed, and that authorities used a heat-seeking device to make sure there weren't more victims.

"You can't imagine how bad this accident was," Feld said.

Its impact was felt in the tight circle that five teenage boys formed as they sobbed and hugged each other openly on the Bellmore street where they had so often visited Giacomo, fondly called "Jack."

Indeed, bands of kids came to the home throughout the day, offering support and condolences in the same place where they sought comfort -- among classmates and friends who knew the two boys.

The teenagers were too broken up to comment, as were the relatives of the two victims.

At least one unidentified teenager grieved privately, holding his palms to his eyes, elbows on knees, as he sat on the porch of Giacomo's home.

In Bellmore, John F. Kennedy High School administrators called in extra grief counselors.

Students of all races, genders and ages sought help, said Frank Sansanelli, a guidance counselor. "We give them counseling but it does not change the sad truth," he said.

It may have struck the school particularly hard because the boys were so popular.

"Michael Moniz was an intelligent young man with great promise," said Principal Lorraine Poppe. "Always a gentleman with a big smile, Michael conducted himself with kindness, good manners, good humor and grace throughout his years at Kennedy High School."

Poppe also said Giacomo was a "dependable, motivated and considerate young man."

She added: "He was well respected for his wonderful personal qualities. Inside and outside of school, Jack was a responsible student and a dedicated worker who devoted many hours to his family restaurant business."

Moniz's neighbor, Verneta Goffe, whose son Justin, 16, had known Moniz for seven years and played video games and watched movies with him.

"Mike was a good kid, always had a smile on his face, always had a wave," she said.

Emerson Clarridge and staff writer Dave Marcus contributed to this story.

293786581.jpg

293786641.jpg

293790671.jpg

~ young age, inexperience, stupity and a fast car don't mix.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:39 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: one of the worst crashes i have seen. sad. :(

OMG. That is horrific.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:43 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My prayers go to them and their family. I can't believe all ended in debris.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son is friends with Alfieri's cousin and my nephew is friends with Moniz. Sad parents worst nightmare my heart goes out to the families. My youngest of 3 just got his permit every time i hear about an accident like this i make sure to speak to them about safe driving.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by acrispy1
My youngest of 3 just got his permit every time i hear about an accident like this i make sure to speak to them about safe driving.
Just had my daughter read the article. Very sad situation.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:11 PM

That is why I am so glad my parents didn't let me have a fast car for my first car. I am also glad the restricted my driving as well, or else I could have just been another sad story.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Wowza! That car was literally torn into shreds! I've never seen metal look that bad before.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Forum Regular

wow, you can't tell where the front starts and the back ends. there is a small hunk of metal (frame?) everything else was destroyed like it was hit by a bomb. too bad the car wasn't built like the tree they hit. that thing looks like it has barely any damage. age 17 + bmw 335='s pure trouble. with this having the ultimate consequence.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:10 AM

Oh that's awful...accidents really sucks!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular

This accident took place 5 minutes from my house. What are parents thinking giving a 2007 BMW to a 17 year old at night? What a shame and the parents will have to live with it their whole lives.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and that's why i got a 3 speed automatic neon as my first car... worked my way up to a 5 speed neon and turbocharged that so i had the respect for the times it ran... this is pure lack of respect for the potential of the car.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Forum Regular

i've seen a lot of crazy wrecks, but it would be rough pulling up to this one. Glad my first ride was a '96 accord v6.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

First and for most my sympathy and prayers go out to the families that lost their children.

Right now it isn't the time to go on a rant about how parents shouldn't buy there children a certain type of vehicle. I bought my crossfire at 17 years old
(I Know the crossfire isn't considered a "fast" car, but it does get up to speed pretty quickly) and I never received a speeding ticket or had an accident.
There are also plenty of young drivers on this forum that own srt-6s and are safe drivers.

Like my grandfather use to say "age doesn't govern maturity" meaning that the older you get doesn't make you mature, your life experiences do. There are 40 year old people out there that behave like they're 13.

I'm pretty sure that speed related accidents don't just stop at a certain at a certain age range, there are plenty of crashed up porsches, ferraris, and lamborghinis out there to prove this point.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Forum Regular

All that you say is true BUT numbers don't lie. Kids that age get into a disproportionate # of accidents in relation to the rest of the population. The number of accidents new drivers get into in their first year of driving is off the charts compared with how they'll do later. Simply put, why look for trouble? You wouldn't give a new driver a few drinks before they left the house why give them something equally as intoxicating? A gorgeous set of wheels that could, in inexperienced hands potentially be a tragedy waiting to happen.