Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Japanese Cars... Why the Bias???

Old 03-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Japanese Cars... Why the Bias???

I'm curious as to why there is so much bias towards Japanese cars on this forum???

Someone Wrote: "...This is the kind of car I see never getting rid of, when the engine gets tired in........oh...say.....8 years or so I think I could just rebuild it and install that supercharger and start all over"

My Reply: I agree it's a long term keeper and I'm not trying to stir up the pot here, but...

I know most folks on this forum don't hold Japanese cars in high esteem (don't know why... IMO they are well built daily drivers for the masses) but come on... a tired engine in 8 years or so??? That doesn't say much for German automotive engineering and reliability!!! My wifes's daily driver is a 10 year old '94 Honda Civic SI with 130k miles and going strong. We're "easily" expecting at least another 100-125k miles out of it.

Check out reliabilty ratings and used car values for Nissan, Toyota and Honda against Ford, GM and Chrysler.

Then again a tired engine would justify a rebuild with a supercharger, maybe, just maybe my "Commander-In-Chief" would fall for that one..."

Comments and opinions welcome....

Old 03-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is an interesting genetic difference in the three main regions cars are manufactured.

American made cars (made by North American companies in North America) tend to have a certain feel. They also tend to HAVE had a lesser quality record.

Asian cars also have a unique feel to them. Doesnt matter what brand- sit me in it blindfolded then let me see the interior, and I know its an Asian make.

Now.. wander on over to a European car.. and again its instantly recognizable that it is indeed from across the pond.

The differences are many- but to me (just my opinion) Asian cars, as a whole, tend to lack the character that the Europeans and Americans have developed. Maybe this has to do with the general philosophy that Asian cars are built upon. Not innovation, rather take what has worked for others and make it SUPERB. Thus we have highly reliable, yet bland, vehicles that the "every person" drives daily.

American cars seem to throw styling in your face... Hoping to overcome some of the inherant drawbacks by using the WOW factor.

European cars seem to offer a compromise.. Some nice styling along with some good engineering.

Now.. If you have ever worked on modern cars and been introduced to CAN/PCI bus operating systems.. and used diagnostic equipement for Asian/American/European cars.. The difference in Engineering is amazing! The Asians always seem to be playing keep up in this realm. Again- Not innovation, rather take what has worked for others and make it work superbly for them.

Oh yea... maybe a little resentment towards "The Fast and the Furious" sparks the Japanese anger?

Old 03-17-2004, 06:35 PM

Well well! I also own a Honda Pilot...it is fantastic to say the least. It has it all for what I want and more. The Crossfire does the same thing for me...that's why I purchased it. Yes I am very happy with both of them. But, I know some imports, Toyota, even Lexus are looking a little funky these days. Where do they get the designers? Looks like something kids designed after playing computer games. Real style and quality is a gift, only a few manufactures know about. But, then again, I am a little older and wiser from the Detroit area. With some of the experience I have and my love of cars, I think I am a pertty good judge of style and quality. I am not afraid to step up to the plate and say so. The Crossfire is a real fine well thought designed peice of work.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Forum Regular

I'm a student that currently owns an Acura RSX and am planning on going up to the Crossfire next. Japanese cars are definitely not devoid of style. They have a sharp image that appeals to a wide audience, usually a younger audience. Japanese cars are usually high revving with very little torque, and front wheel drive, which makes them very easy for the young to drive, and very fun to hear an engine howl at a peak 8900RPMs coming up fast on the 9200RPM redline. Japanese cars are overstatedly fun to drive and have a huge aftermarket following.

German vehicles are far more refined and tend to take on a style that reflects that sophistication and stalwart dependability, one that does not necessarily appeal to everyone. They're cars for people that want to buy a car and not worry about it after driving it off the lot. Comparatively low redlines, torque in the mid range, rear wheel drive, pocket exotics for those that want to drive it, not roughly, but stylishly.

To put it simply ... you'd never see James Bond driving a Japanese car.

Japanese engines do last, and are fun to pilot, but German vehicles are an entirely seperate class.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:51 PM

To put it simply ... you'd never see James Bond driving a Japanese car.

Well put!

Old 03-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Default well, not actually

In You Only Live Twice, filmed mostly in Japan, Bond's car was a 1967 Toyota 2000GT.

But that was the only time.

Source:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/B...lmography.html

Old 03-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Forum Regular

Ahh yes, I remember that one. I was disappointed with that film, and it was Sean Connery, too. Tore my heart in two. :-(

Old 03-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Default 2000GT

The 2000GT is proof that lightning can strike anywhere. In its day, it was one of the most striking designs on the planet. A true work of art. Not many were made, and today they are quite expensive on the rare occasion one comes on the market.

Another notable Japanese sports car of the era was the Datsun 2000. Not bad at all. Kind of a far east Big Heally.

The problem with Japanese cars is that for all their technical 'perfection', they lack personality.

The Miata is, by Mazda's own admission, an attempt to update the Lotus Elan. In fact during the design stage Mazda actually obtained and dismantled, piece by piece, two vintage Elans to use as a guide and inspiration in designing the Miata.

Acura's NSX is an absolutely technically fantastic car. Unfortunately, it's TOO perfect. You still feel like you're driving a Honda.

They did get it right with the first 240Z, though.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:02 PM

my infiniti has been nothing but a pleasure to own. the G35 is on my new car list, along with the Crossfire. if it weren't for the fact that the CF is 90% Mercedes, i wouldn't even look at it. in general, what's happening to American car companies is a real shame. i've had fun with the CSVT, but i will never buy another Ford unless it's a pick-up truck.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you think about DC contracting with China for future car production?

You can find the news in the DC website itself

Old 05-14-2004, 04:52 PM

The cars that will be made in china will be sold in asia... sooooo Hey- the company wants to expand into new markets- why not?