CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/other-cars/)
-   -   SRT-4 Neon (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/other-cars/5239-srt-4-neon.html)

BobaFettm 06-14-2004 07:30 PM

SRT-4 Neon

Hey all!! Well... its time for me to pick up a car for both winter + putting some miles on this new car instead of my charished Crossfire!!

Has anyone here experienced the SRT-4? I've yet to test drive this car... and the part that im most scared of ... I've never owned a stick shift car before... I've drove manuals before but never through traffic and such!...

I'm looking into the SRT-4 because of my families discount I receive for all dodge / chrysler products... plus its a beautiful car and around the cost I can pay for even when I'm buying this new...

Please let me know of your impressions of the SRT-4 otherwise I might have to go out within a few days and buy a used civic or lancer :roll:

Thanks!

WesMichaels 06-14-2004 07:37 PM

We have a couple of SRT 4s Autocrossing. They are in the same class as the Crossfire (DS). I'm beating them.... But not by much, and I think if they stiffen up the spings, sway bars and shocks it may just run right with the Crossfire. But if you do the same mods to the Crossfire then it's back to advantage.... Crossfire. :D

But in a nutshell... The SRT 4 is quite a little car. Very impressive.

WesMichaels 06-14-2004 07:40 PM

One other thing about the SRT 4.... I don't know who is producing ECU performance chips for them. But I do know that typically turbo cars can gain a ton more HP by chipping. :D

BobaFettm 06-14-2004 08:28 PM

LOL! WM you crack me up ;) instantly you show me the benefits of how you can race it ;) and im trying to find a car for snow and secondary car haha!

Thank you Wes! :) I know the SRT-4 is faster off the line... but I'm just looking at it as a nice cheaper vehicle that I can buy new for the price id pay for a nice used car...

P.S.... Plus this car is fast!!! :lol: and I'll look into the ECU too!

DFWSBR 06-14-2004 08:51 PM

SRT4 is a faster car than a crossfire. I think it would even do better on the track given the right driver and a 03 equipped w/ a factory quaife limited slip diff. Chips aren't a thing for us / jap cars. They are a german thing. Bump up injector size, increase boost, throw in a fuel controller and tune it out. Mopar has some factory options, different ecu, injectors, increased boost. Does all the dirty work for you.

There are also aftermarket turbo options, which will push that 2.4 to no end. I've already seen numbers over 450 on the stock motor.

As for a daily driver, its a neon. If you can get past the looks its a good car. If you can drive it like a normal person, you will get great gas mileage.

BobaFettm 06-14-2004 09:38 PM

Yes I know all about all the performance increases and such on the SRT-4...

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
As for a daily driver, its a neon. If you can get past the looks its a good car. If you can drive it like a normal person, you will get great gas mileage.

That is what im looking for! :) has anyone driven this car for an extended period of time? Do you like the way it feels... is it comfortable.. interior decent... I'm not looking for something amazing! I'm a college student... and the Xfire chopped my bank account amazingly as it is... but I want a dependable car for a good price... and with my discount the SRT is very cheap for a new vehicle of its stature

David Burns 06-14-2004 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
Yes I know all about all the performance increases and such on the SRT-4...

That is what im looking for! :) has anyone driven this car for an extended period of time? Do you like the way it feels... is it comfortable.. interior decent... I'm not looking for something amazing! I'm a college student... and the Xfire chopped my bank account amazingly as it is... but I want a dependable car for a good price... and with my discount the SRT is very cheap for a new vehicle of its stature

Nuthin' personal dude, but if you drive an SRT-4 anything like you've said you drive your Crossfire, I don't think it's the car for you. ESPECIALLY not tricked out with ecu mod, more boost, etc. You'll be right back on the Neon boards looking for bigger brakes... :wink:

DFWSBR 06-14-2004 10:45 PM

I'm not so sure the SRT4 will be cost saving. Look at insurance. I pay less for insurance on my leased crossfire than I did on my 99 eclipse turbo. I'm under 25, own a house, and had 3 vehicles. Multi car discount is the only thing that helped.

I'm now down to one car and a bike and pay less on the crossfire than I did on the eclipse alone. By 40 a month!

If it was me, I'd get something I wouldn't even have the option to modify. You think you are spending money on the crossfire, wait til you get into performance upgrades on the SRT4.

BobaFettm 06-15-2004 02:40 AM

LOL thank you Dave...

I haven't check out the insurance... but I know I pay a great price on my Crossfire... almost as cheap as my rents... my insurance company said something about me scoring only one point off my drivers test... perfect record... family being with AAA since they were driving... but ill look into the pricing on the SRT-4...

I was just trying to get some opinion on the SRT-4 other then their forum...

Most likely I'll go with a Lancer, Civic, or Tiburon...

David Burns 06-15-2004 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
Most likely I'll go with a Lancer, Civic, or Tiburon...

How about Merkur...or a DeLorean... if you can find one of either that's still running decent... :)

Actually, for a 2nd vehicle in MI, I think I'd be looking for something all wheel drive, like, perhaps a Forester...:!: :oops: :!: :wink: :!:

BobaFettm 06-15-2004 10:22 AM

LOL yah I would love a subaru... but its a little pricey... I'm also thinking about a Jeep wrangler... those stock and new arent that bad either... only reason why i was going with those cars is because they are dirt cheap ;)

WesMichaels 06-15-2004 10:40 AM

Chips aren't a thing for us / jap cars. They are a german thing. Bump up injector size, increase boost, throw in a fuel controller and tune it out. Mopar has some factory options, different ecu, injectors, increased boost. Does all the dirty work for you.

I know that MOPAR likes to make their ECUs very hard to enhance or change.

But, I beg to differ about chips being a German thing. I had a Stage 3 chip in my 89 Vette and it was awesome. I kept the car for 7 years and it still had the chip installed and was running great when I sold it with 122,000 miles on it. They even have chips for Chevy and Ford Turbo Diesel trucks. They can get as much as 90 more HP with some chips on those diesel engines. Look in any Hot Rod or performance magazine and you will find a lot of companies offering performance chips for GM and Ford products. I think MOPAR is missing an opotunity to make their cars more desireable to the younger market by making it so difficult for the aftermarket to do it's thing. At SEMA you'll see most of the other auto manufacturers embrassing the aftermarket. So I would say that the chip companies are very much into american product improvement.

BobaFettm 06-15-2004 10:50 AM

For sure Wes! It's far from just a German engineering idea... Almost all sporty styled cars have ECU upgrades... from neons, honda's, vipers... anything thats fuel could be controlled differently to add some power will be used :)

BTW... I'm heading to my local dodge dealer thursday to check out the SRT - 4 and then over to my Xfire dealer to look at a Wrangler SE... if i get either one I want them to match my crossfire :) lol .... and what the hell am I gonna do without a LCD screen in my car!!!! im gonna have to add another... its like a crutch now.... i have to have it...

landho 06-15-2004 11:29 AM

How about a PT cruiser...
I'll sell you mine so that I can get a convertible.

BobaFettm 06-15-2004 11:45 AM

I have a HO2.4 PT 2k4 at the house already :) It's looking rather sweet! I've debadged most of the emblems other then the 2.4! I really love the performance of the PT thats why I wanta see the SRT-4 so bad!

Thanks anyways Land ;)

Here's the PT without the Debadging yet! I forgot to get pictures of it yesterday after I did it !
http://www.bobafettm.com/newtail11.JPG

Crossfirefan 06-21-2004 02:58 PM

SRT-4

The SRT-4 is a great car - for the money you can't beat it. However, there aren't any incentitives (including employee discount) with any SRT product so you'll have to negotiate a price with the dealership.

If you are planning to use it the SRT-4 during the winter, you'll have to pick up a set of snow tires - the BF Goodrich g-Force's won't work in the Michigan snow.

Of course, I do have an automatic Stealth R/T for sale that handles great in the snow....and I'm just a few minutes away. I'm asking $4,400. :wink:

drunkiq 06-21-2004 03:54 PM

I had one trying to keep up with me last week...

BobaFettm 06-21-2004 10:21 PM

Re: SRT-4

Originally Posted by Crossfirefan
Of course, I do have an automatic Stealth R/T for sale that handles great in the snow....and I'm just a few minutes away. I'm asking $4,400. :wink:

Thanks so much anyways Fan !! :) I just bought a new 2k4 Jeep Wrangler Sport today from Palace... thats my families third vehicle from them in 4 months ;) they love us there! LOL ... my Xfire... my mothers PT Cruiser and now my Jeep! Which I'll admit... I DID NOT PAY for myself... it was impossible... the Xfire took so much of my money and I still have school expenses!!! but gonna love the caring family that bought me it!!! :) I pick it up Wed or Friday once they trailer it in!!!

This is the exact thing I picked up...

2k4 Jeep Wrangler Sport
30in Wheel base
Nice sound system
Hard and Soft top (in black)
Hard Doors
Air Conditioning
Leather stearing wheel and thing that comes with its package...

I'm really appreciative! and I cant wait to get some pics of my matching vehicles next to eachother!!!

BUT I NEED HELP!!!!

I wanta catchy license plate... some to the effect of ...

XFIRE RECOVERY

or something dealing with the Xfire and the Jeep! :)

BrianX 09-30-2005 11:20 AM

Re: SRT-4 Neon

I test drove an 05' srt4 neon and I have to say my jaw dropped to the floor when that thing hits max boost when running through the gears!!! This is what the first R/T neon shoulda been instead of just better suspension.

For ~20k bucks, I don't think you can find a faster or more fun car to drive. I'd have one. :D

Bullseye 09-30-2005 04:16 PM

Re: SRT-4 Neon

Originally Posted by BrianX
I test drove an 05' srt4 neon and I have to say my jaw dropped to the floor when that thing hits max boost when running through the gears!!! This is what the first R/T neon shoulda been instead of just better suspension.

For ~20k bucks, I don't think you can find a faster or more fun car to drive. I'd have one. :D

Even though you brought this thread back from the dead, i know what you mean.